An Old School Catholic Message Board

If a woman gets a sex-change, can he become a priest?

ChrisZewe

A woman who has a sex change operation is still a woman, only with added male parts. Same goes for a man. So, no, they could not become a priest/nun/brother.

Regardless, anybody who does this has severe psychological problems that would preclude them from becoming a religious. They couldn't even be married within the church much less ordained.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

In reality their is no such thing as "sex-change", only self-mutilation.

brandelynmarie

sometime in the past several years...a woman & a woman who had a sex-change operation had attempted to get married...the court's ruling was based on their genetics...both had female chromosomes & according to that state law could not be married...so even though this is a secular example...it still flies with the above reasonings for our Church....

Edited by brandelynmarie

Guest phatdaddy

You know, I had never thought of that. But in today's bazaar world I guess you need to be prepared address strange issues like this. Thanks PM'r for the insight.
Mr. Ray

Hrm...
so, does the soul have sex? (I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I thought it might be worth a revisitation, considering...)

Ora et Labora

[quote name='scardella' post='987330' date='May 22 2006, 03:18 PM']
Hrm...
so, does the soul have sex? (I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I thought it might be worth a revisitation, considering...)
[/quote]
Yes

because, we're not dualist and believe in teh inseparable nature of body and soul (hence,really, why their is a resurrection of the body), your body can't do anything without your soul and vice versa. this includes conjugal union ^_^

brandelynmarie

So...perhaps the Bible verse that says (& I'm trying to remember how it goes!): "...in God there is neither Gentile nor Jew...servant nor free...woman nor man no more..." Okay, maybe I am quoting a song verse...but it is based on Scripture....is refering to mutual love & respect among Christian peoples rather than actual physical attributes? (I hope this makes sense!) Am I on track or is this refering to somethng else...like heaven? :D:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='989295' date='May 24 2006, 06:53 AM']
So...perhaps the Bible verse that says (& I'm trying to remember how it goes!): "...in God there is neither Gentile nor Jew...servant nor free...woman nor man no more..." Okay, maybe I am quoting a song verse...but it is based on Scripture....is refering to mutual love & respect among Christian peoples rather than actual physical attributes? (I hope this makes sense!) Am I on track or is this refering to somethng else...like heaven? :D:
[/quote]

My understanding of that verse has always been that your dignity does not depend on attributes or incidentals (I'm forgetting the philosophical term here), but because you are made in the image and likeness of God. Therefore, in response to this fundamental human dignity, we are to love them. (Of course the external actions of that love do highly depend on those incidentals.)

Note that this is not to say that amendment for sins is not necessary. It is certainly a function of love to correct errors and repent for sins.