An Old School Catholic Message Board

If a woman gets a sex-change, can he become a priest?

ChrisZewe

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='989355' date='May 24 2006, 08:05 AM']
Ah ha! Thank you! :blush:
[/quote]

Then again, I'm no final authority on biblical interpretation... note that Scripture in many ways often has layers and layers of meaning. There's a reason why it's called the Word of God. We can never truly plumb its depths, but we can say that some interpretations are certainly valid and some are certainly invalid. For instance, the Church has said that it is a fallacy to interpret the above quote as meaning that there is no fundamental differences between the sexes.

I believe I heard somewhere that "the body is the icon of the whole person."

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='986341' date='May 21 2006, 02:52 PM']
Or if a man does, can she become a nun? o.O I've always wondered this.
[/quote]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH?. :shock:

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='989295' date='May 24 2006, 08:53 AM']
So...perhaps the Bible verse that says (& I'm trying to remember how it goes!): "...in God there is neither Gentile nor Jew...servant nor free...woman nor man no more..." Okay, maybe I am quoting a song verse...but it is based on Scripture....is refering to mutual love & respect among Christian peoples rather than actual physical attributes? (I hope this makes sense!) Am I on track or is this refering to somethng else...like heaven? :D:
[/quote]

Ah hah! you bring up an interesting thought. Being male or female is mostly physical characteristics based on function, but we all know there are phycological differences, emotional differences and probably others, you smart people could list. But how much of those differences are accually in the soul? There must be some. ummmm. There is no gender in personhood. But our "personess" is made up of body and soul. darn it! I just gave myself a headache :shock:

Laurentina1975

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='989295' date='May 24 2006, 06:53 AM']
So...perhaps the Bible verse that says (& I'm trying to remember how it goes!): "...in God there is neither Gentile nor Jew...servant nor free...woman nor man no more..." Okay, maybe I am quoting a song verse...but it is based on Scripture....is refering to mutual love & respect among Christian peoples rather than actual physical attributes? (I hope this makes sense!) Am I on track or is this refering to somethng else...like heaven? :D:
[/quote]

That would be "One Bread One Body"....it's a Eucharistic hymn usually sung during Holy Communion.

I've wondered too, what exactly makes a female a female, and a male, a male. Is it just physically, or does your soul have a sex? When God creates your little soul in the womb, your little body, He puts a sex, say he makes you female, your mind, intellect, soul, heart, emotions and physical body are female are they not?

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/REMYBODY.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/REMYBODY.HTM[/url]

Remember you are body and soul and they cannot be seperated.

brandelynmarie

[b]That would be "One Bread One Body"....it's a Eucharistic hymn usually sung during Holy Communion.[/b]
Ah yes! Thanks Lauren! :blush:

[b]Remember you are body and soul and they cannot be seperated.[/b]

:ascension: Agreed!

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='990355' date='May 25 2006, 01:27 PM']
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/REMYBODY.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/REMYBODY.HTM[/url]

Remember you are body and soul and they cannot be seperated.
[/quote]

Tis true, body and soul are one. However when you die your soul is separated from your body and will remain separated until the general resurrection. So the question is not completely answered. I think it is highly likely that gender is a constituative part of the soul but haven't a clue as how to express it. :idontknow:

I wouldn't be upset one way or the other since it is a God thing.
Mr. Ray

brendan1104

Archbishop Burke seems to think so, he received a transsexual nun's vows:

[quote]At times his theological allegiance with these orders placed Bishop Burke in some compromising positions. Most striking, perhaps, was the case of Sister Julie Green, a member of the Franciscan Servants of Jesus:

"Julie Green is living a lie!" writes Mary Therese Helmueller in an October 25, 2002, letter to Archbishop Gabriel Montalvo, Papal Nuncio to the United States. "[She] is a transsexual, a biological male. He is really Joel Green, who had a sex operation to make him physically appear as a woman.... I fear that The Church in America will suffer another 'sex scandal' if Julie Green continues to be recognized as a Catholic Religious Sister, and if Bishop Raymond L. Burke receives his final vows, as a religious sister, on November 23rd, 2002."

Montalvo forwarded the letter to Burke, who on November 20, 2002, replied to Helmueller. "With regard to Sister Julie Green, F.S.J., the recognition of the association of the faithful which she and Sister Anne LeBlanc founded was granted only after consultation with the Holy See," he writes. "These are matters which are confidential and do not admit of any further comment.... I can assure you that Sister Julie Green in no way espouses a sex change operation as right or good. In fact, she holds it to be seriously disordered. Therefore, I caution you very much about the rash judgments which you made in your letter to the Apostolic Nuncio."

Adds Burke: "I express my surprise that, when you had questions about Sister Julie Green, you did not, in accord with the teaching of our Lord, address the matter to me directly." [/quote]

[url="http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2004-08-25/sidebar.html"]http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2004...25/sidebar.html[/url]