An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children's Liturgy

prose

So, I am reluctant to send my kids to Children's liturgy (she is almost 3 which is the age to go here) b/c I think it is important that they learn how to behave in Mass. I don't like the idea of segregating them into a "class" type structure during Mass. I also don't like the idea of "playtime" during Mass, which is what I think some of it it. I will concede that at least at our Church it isn't just making crafts and stuff like that, but I still feel like she will be missing Mass.

A woman I work with told me I was wrong b/c it is still "Mass" and they get all of the readings and things, and they are supposed to be back in time for the consecration.

I dunno.

I am still not feeling great about it.

franciscanheart

If it were me and they were my kids, I wouldn't send them to the children's liturgy. My church doesn't have one and I've only ever been to one church that does. I was confused when they had it and it didn't quite make sense to me. It still doesn't. That's just me.

homeschoolmom

My kids go. They listen to the readings and have an age-appropriate reflection. They come back during the offeratory. Sometimes I'm really glad to have it. I don't really want my ten year old listening to some of the homilies we have had (adult themed, if you catch my drift)... So, yeah... my .02

I think I would be okay sending her if she was about 5 or so, but, really, how much discussion can a 3 year old have? It seems to me like babysitting at that point.

Edited by prose

franciscanheart

Adult-themed? Yikes. I know some of the stuff in the homilies (most all of it) will go over the heads of younger children, but something about seperating them from the congregation just doesn't jive with me. The age-appropriate reflections are nice but could that not be done at another time? I guess I'm not such a fan because I didn't grow up with it. The whole idea is very foreign and strange.

homeschoolmom

Abortion, contraception, gay marriage, divorce (marital infidelity)... Um, yeah... Adult-themed.

franciscanheart

I don't know what I'd do at that point. Not having a child, it's hard to say.

homeschoolmom

I mean, I'm glad we're getting those kinds of homilies, but I'm also glad that my kids are elsewhere. We only have them a couple times a month and not at all in the summer, lent or advent.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='989438' date='May 24 2006, 09:27 AM']
Abortion, contraception, gay marriage, divorce (marital infidelity)... Um, yeah... Adult-themed.
[/quote]

I always imagine the kind of homilies i would give you know controversy fire and brimstone or whatever, and sometimes i think that i would prefer the mass to have nobody under the age of seven.

SHALOM

Fides_et_Ratio

would they know what that adult-themed stuff is?

I dislike Children's Liturgy just because I dislike separating people out during Mass-- which is supposed to be a communal thing. We separate them out for catechesis, which is good. But the heart of Mass is not catechesis, but communion (most fully expressed in the Eucharist).

homeschoolmom

My kids listen, so, yeah, they'd want to know what Father was talking about. Honestly, I really don't want to explain what sodomy is to a seven year old.

Did you send your kids when they were 3?

And how long do they attend it at your Church?

At ours, I am not sure how old, but I know that they only do it 3 Sundays a month, and have 1 Church Sunday.

I think in theory it is a good idea, and I think it is great for kids over 5, but do you think it is appropriate for 2 year olds? (I really appreciate the feedback by the way.)

[quote name='prose' post='989420' date='May 24 2006, 09:15 AM']
So, I am reluctant to send my kids to Children's liturgy (she is almost 3 which is the age to go here) b/c I think it is important that they learn how to behave in Mass. I don't like the idea of segregating them into a "class" type structure during Mass. I also don't like the idea of "playtime" during Mass, which is what I think some of it it. I will concede that at least at our Church it isn't just making crafts and stuff like that, but I still feel like she will be missing Mass.

A woman I work with told me I was wrong b/c it is still "Mass" and they get all of the readings and things, and they are supposed to be back in time for the consecration.

I dunno.

I am still not feeling great about it.
[/quote]
i agree with you. i think children's liturgy is not cool

homeschoolmom

My 2 1/2 year old is in the nursery on Sunday mornings. When we go to daily mass or a HDO he's with us.

My 7 and 10 year olds both go to Children's liturgy most times that it's offered-- they don't always go (especially my 10 year old).

The children are blessed and dismissed right before the first reading and come back during the collection of the offering.

I wouldn't have sent my children at three, though. It's too young. They won't understand the children's reflection any more than they would the homily. By about five though maybe.

Noel's angel

Our children's Liturgy is for kids between the age of 6 and 11. In a way, it can be a good idea because this is often really the only time that some of these children will receive any sort of spiritual education. I'm in two minds about it. But I do think children benefit more from it than they would if they stayed during the readings. I mean, at the age of 6 I used to eat the bulleitin during the readings, but Children's Liturgy helps kids understand the readings and they also get to learn about things like the Rosary, miraculous medal etc.
There is no education for children over here outside Mass. In school they learn a bit in the programmes for First Confession, Holy Communion and Confirmation, so I think anything that will help them learn more at a young age can only be good.

I think 2 and 3 year olds are a bit young to go though. Would it not end up being like a nursery??