An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children's Liturgy

prose

i think the sad part is [u]some[/u] parents are using Children's Liturgy to fulfill their children's spiritual needs instead of catechizing their own children :(

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Lil Red' post='989581' date='May 24 2006, 01:08 PM']
i think the sad part is [u]some[/u] parents are using Children's Liturgy to fulfill their children's spiritual needs instead of catechizing their own children :(
[/quote]
They use RE/CCD for the same purpose.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='989582' date='May 24 2006, 01:10 PM']They use RE/CCD for the same purpose.[/quote]:ohno: i know :ohno:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I was going to write a letter to my RE kids parents to remind them of their duty to teach their children about the faith, but my mom didn't like the idea of me, a college student, telling these parents what they are supposed to do. So, that letter was scrapped. I am going to write my students soon. In fact, I ought to do that this week.

At my parish, they have the children's liturgy every Saturday night Mass. I find it disappointing because they sit their, they hear, but don't listen, and then color or fidget or sing some silly song. I used to volunteer to help with that when I was in junior high, so not only did the 'leader' person miss the proclaimation of the Gospel, so did I. I really don't like the 'segregation' that many have already commented on as well. Children should be there to experience the whole Mass, liturgy of the Word included.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='989663' date='May 24 2006, 01:39 PM']I was going to write a letter to my RE kids parents to remind them of their duty to teach their children about the faith, but my mom didn't like the idea of me, a college student, telling these parents what they are supposed to do. So, that letter was scrapped. I am going to write my students soon. In fact, I ought to do that this week.

At my parish, they have the children's liturgy every Saturday night Mass. I find it disappointing because they sit their, they hear, but don't listen, and then color or fidget or sing some silly song. I used to volunteer to help with that when I was in junior high, so not only did the 'leader' person miss the proclaimation of the Gospel, so did I. I really don't like the 'segregation' that many have already commented on as well. Children should be there to experience the whole Mass, liturgy of the Word included.[/quote]
my mom found this poem that my catechist (when i was in CCD) sent out to parents. maybe it's an option for you?

I dreamed I stood in a church
And watched two sculptors there,
The clay they used was a young mind
And they fashioned it with care.

One was a catechist - the tools she used
Were books and music and prayer;
The other, a parent, with guiding hand
And a gentle and loving heart.

Week after week the catechist toiled
With a touch that was deft and sure.
While the parent labored by her side
And polished and smoothed.

And when at last their task was done,
They were proud of what they had wrought.
For the things they had molded into the person
Could neither be sold nor bought.

And each agreed that she would have failed
If she had worked alone.
For behind the catechist stood the Church
And behind the Church stood the home.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='989568' date='May 24 2006, 12:46 PM']
Our children's Liturgy is for kids between the age of 6 and 11. In a way, it can be a good idea because this is often really the only time that some of these children will receive any sort of spiritual education. I'm in two minds about it. But I do think children benefit more from it than they would if they stayed during the readings. I mean, at the age of 6 I used to eat the bulleitin during the readings, but Children's Liturgy helps kids understand the readings and they also get to learn about things like the Rosary, miraculous medal etc.
There is no education for children over here outside Mass. In school they learn a bit in the programmes for First Confession, Holy Communion and Confirmation, so I think anything that will help them learn more at a young age can only be good.

I think 2 and 3 year olds are a bit young to go though. Would it not end up being like a nursery??
[/quote]
We have religious education here. The problem though is not with which program people use, but how their home functions. Parents are responsible for teaching faith at home. The first major problem arises when people rely on these kinds of programs for catechesis.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='989581' date='May 24 2006, 01:08 PM']
[/quote][quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='989582' date='May 24 2006, 01:10 PM']
They use RE/CCD for the same purpose.
[/quote]
:ohno: So sad. So true.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='989663' date='May 24 2006, 01:39 PM']
I was going to write a letter to my RE kids parents to remind them of their duty to teach their children about the faith, but my mom didn't like the idea of me, a college student, telling these parents what they are supposed to do. So, that letter was scrapped. I am going to write my students soon. In fact, I ought to do that this week.

At my parish, they have the children's liturgy every Saturday night Mass. I find it disappointing because they sit there, they hear, but don't listen, and then color or fidget or sing some silly song. I used to volunteer to help with that when I was in junior high, so not only did the 'leader' person miss the proclaimation of the Gospel, so did I. I really don't like the 'segregation' that many have already commented on as well. [b]Children should be there to experience the whole Mass, liturgy of the Word included.[/b]
[/quote]
[Emphasis mine] I agree completely.

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='989463' date='May 24 2006, 04:56 PM']
would they know what that adult-themed stuff is?

I dislike Children's Liturgy just because I dislike separating people out during Mass-- which is supposed to be a communal thing. We separate them out for catechesis, which is good. But the heart of Mass is not catechesis, but communion (most fully expressed in the Eucharist).
[/quote]

Remember that even though Communion is the apex of the Mass, the Liturgy of the Word is as important as receiving the Eucharist. The Word of God is as powerful as the Eucharist itself cos both of them are Christ. So it is equally important that kids are exposed to and taught the Gospel according to their cognitive level.

In our church, we do have Child Liturgy and the ages vary from 5 to 11 years. Sending a 3 year old to Child Liturgy is a bit too early for my taste but a 5 year old is a better age.

@ Lil Red: "i think children's liturgy is not cool"...

I don't think it is a matter of being cool or not but a matter of reaching out to kids more. They are still part of the congregation as long as Child Liturgy is done in a proper way. It is better to seperate them a bit and give some sound spiritual food to these kids and help them appreciate and love the church, its teachings and the functions rather than being present in the congregation during homilies and they don't understand what's happening cause words are too much above them.

This is just my opinion though.

[quote name='dandy777' post='989713' date='May 24 2006, 01:56 PM']@ Lil Red: "i think children's liturgy is not cool"...

I don't think it is a matter of being cool or not but a matter of reaching out to kids more. They are still part of the congregation as long as Child Liturgy is done in a proper way. It is better to seperate them a bit and give some sound spiritual food to these kids and help them appreciate and love the church, its teachings and the functions rather than being present in the congregation during homilies and they don't understand what's happening cause words are too much above them.

This is just my opinion though.[/quote]sorry, i was having a brain fluffy air extraction, couldn't think of another appropriate word that expressed my displeasure of children's liturgy. in a lot of parishes, children's liturgy is not educational - it is fun, play-time. i'm speaking of most of the parishes that i know of.

stbernardLT

Just like any other program ir can be done badly, but on the flipside it can be done very well. I was wondering if it is permissable, I mean since the gospel and "homily" is being given by someone other than a priest or deacon. Just wondering. Maybe this is just my experience.

[quote name='stbernardLT' post='989727' date='May 24 2006, 09:03 PM']
Just like any other program ir can be done badly, but on the flipside it can be done very well. I was wondering if it is permissable, I mean since the gospel and "homily" is being given by someone other than a priest or deacon. Just wondering. Maybe this is just my experience.
[/quote]

Obviously it is discussed and planned hand in hand with the priest throughout the week in such a way that even the homily for adults done by the priest is on the same lines of the one given to children. Everything must be linke din order to make sense. I understand you concern. It is something that concerns me as well but I think it is officially permissable. At least in our diocese it is.

Noel's angel

I think it is important that the Church does have some sort of spiritual programme for children because many parents just can't be bothered, or are themselves poorly educated in the faith. My mother is not a Catholic, but she tried her best to make sure we got to Mass every Sunday, but at the same time, she wasn't well enough equipped to teach us about prayer or Scripture or anything else. I would have benefitted from some srt of education outside that I got in school. It is only in the last couple of years that I have been able to learn more about my faith. Maybe if the Church continues to educate kids today, their children will be brought up with a stronger sense of faith.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='stbernardLT' post='989727' date='May 24 2006, 02:03 PM']
[/quote]
My understanding is that it is permissable-- the "homily" is not a homily, but rather a reflection (unless a priest or deacon is giving it)... Further, I think they are not to be done every week. I think there are not supposed to be more than three a month.

My Church does it only during the traditional school year. The same timing as the Religious Ed classes on Sunday morning after Mass.

I think I'd be ok sending Beany when she is five or so.

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' post='989449' date='May 24 2006, 10:38 AM']
I always imagine the kind of homilies i would give you know controversy fire and brimstone or whatever, and sometimes i think that i would prefer the mass to have nobody under the age of seven.

SHALOM
[/quote]

I have 3 kids...not so young anymore, a pre-teen and 2 teens. They have always gone to Mass with us. Yeah, there were days we didn't get much past the 1st reading before one or the other had a melt-down, but we kept plugging away at it.

All of my children have heard homilies on abortion, divorce, contraceptives, pre-maritial sex....all of it. When they were younger they didn't get it, but now they are older, they get it. They know what The Church teaches and they listen as the priest shepherds his people.

Looking back, I wouldn't have done anything differently. As difficult as it was with 3 young'uns..it was, and still is, important for the whole family to be together at Mass.