An Old School Catholic Message Board

stuck in hell

dairygirl4u2c

stuck in hell  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ty = thank you.. get with the lingo, boy :-P

My question is.. how does someone have a postdeath wish? Do you mean the wish to have eternal life when one is undergoing judgement? I personally doubt there's truely a human being who would not wish that at judgement time when all is revealed. The choice to live or die for eternity is made through what we do in this life. Of course, we cannot be sure of anyone's fate, and it is usually foolish to speculate.
I'm also not sure if by "stuck in hell forever" you were stressing the gravity of going to hell, or if you meant that it is possible for one to be stuck in hell for less than forever. The latter, according to Catholic teaching, is not possible, so I'm going to presume that you meant the former.

goldenchild17

Not sure we can really know the answer to this one. Because I don't know if people are given the chance to choose heaven after death. Maybe this choice is given to some, maybe babies who die without baptism or a person who never knew the Church. But I am not sure we are given this choice after death, so for now I would choose the first option.

No one who is damned will not make that wish they hate God and can and will never repent at that point. At the very best their ignorance will save them and then when the truth is revealed to them they will "choose" to accept or reject it but their state as a person will not change so the choice would still really be made in life and you saying they are in mortal sin destroys that scenario.

Edited by JJMG2001

Mateo el Feo

The question's wording is a little unclear. I think it would have been better to say something like, "if the individual died with unrepenentant mortal sin (aka not in a state of grace), will he be stuck in hell forever?". A life of mortal sin means nothing if the person repents before death.

Anyway, here's the Gospel of Luke ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/luke/luke16.htm#v19"]link[/url]):[quote name='Luke 16:19-31']"There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man's table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores.

When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.'

Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.'

He said, 'Then I beg you, father, send him to my father's house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.'

But Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.'

He said, 'Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

Then Abraham said, 'If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'"[/quote]Hell is not a temporary place for those who are condemned.

PS: I think I accidently answered "no" instead of "yes." LOL

after death, there is no time (as we know it at least). only with time can any change come. therefore, a person cannot change his mind after death, it is impossible.

God can perfect something that had begun changing in time, through purgatory, but change cannot happen. you die in mortal sin, you enter eternity in mortal sin. you cannot change from the point you enter eternity, your only chance is during your lifetime.

thessalonian

They lived a life rejecting God, they will not recieve grace in hell to accept him. Therefore they cannot ON THEIR OWN accept him.

The question implies, since hell is total separation from God that somehow a man can come to want to obey God apart from him. We cannot. Therefore your question is false in it's theology and cannot be answered by a Catholic in good conscience. False theology produces false answers.

dairygirl4u2c

It would seem I admit that if one is in hell, then there is no hope for wanting to be with God as they are separated from God and cannot receive the grace to want to be with God. So it might seem that the person who lived their life in mortal sin so to speak, could only be saved if they weren't truly in mortal sin. God would have to save them with the little reservations they had making it perhaps not truly a mortal sin. Depends on what I mean by reservations etc of coruse. I know I did make a poll about if someone had a little reservation, and I got about the same results I got for this poll I think.

• 3 weeks later...
KnightofChrist

Little reservation? Too little to late? Having small or little reservations about the sinful life someone leads means nothing unless they become a slave of God instead of sin. Having reservations is "nice" but if one still chooses to sin after these reservations, that will not save them from the fires of hell. Only if you fully comment your life to God will your soul be saved.

Anastasia13

I think they will be stuck forever. We make our choices in this life. We life with them in the next. In Luke 16, the rich man in Hades was told that there was no way to get across to "Abraham's bosom."

Luke 16:26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’