An Old School Catholic Message Board

Health Issues and the Religious life

awyers

Is it possible that some injury or illness can prevent a person from entering the religious life? Any of the communities I have contacted ask about your health status and I was wondering what kind of problem could prevent one from entering if God is truly calling them. I have a bad knee thanks to a soccer injury that is mostly a chronic issue. Most days it is just sore kind of like arthritis and some days it doesnt even bother me but lately it has really flared up and right now I cannot kneel and can barley climb stairs. I never thought to disclose this when asked about my health because I dont think of it as a real health issue, certainly nothing that should keep me from becoming a nun, but now I am a little worried. Did Mother Angelica have some knee issues ( I still have to read her book!)

Countdown to OLAM......... 45 days :lol_roll:

I think this is one of those "depends on the community" issues. The demands of the apostolate and prayer life will vary between communities, and their financial ability to support a new member's medical need may also vary so much that it's hard to give a blanket answer. Sr. Mary Michael, help us out here. :idontknow:

she_who_is_not

I remember reading in Mother Angelica's biography that she had trouble with her knees during her postulancy, (among other health issues) which almost prevented her from being accepted but she prayed for perserverance and healing and not only became a nun but a rather amazing one at that. So, don't let it discourage you! Different communities have different rules but if you persist and truly have a vocation the right door will surely open.
Peace and Prayers.
Amanda

There are some communities out there who do not wish to accept women who have chronic issues, simply because of the possible medical bills attached to them. . .ie: a diabetic who has to pay for insulin and blood sugar supplies. I know of several sisters who have had various issues and were not accepted in the first community they inquired after, or were sent away after entrance, when health issues popped up.

Some, to be honest, might say, they do a lot of kneeling (especially cloistered monasteries) and so, you need to be able to do so to be accepted. And they may not make concessions for you. I know of a sister whose knees used to bleed, she was on her knees so much. . .but her superior would only say 'well don't kneel during this but still kneel during that' and silently crying, that sister still knelt, in penance. Some monasteries may have their cells(bedrooms) on an upper floor, so you need to be able to climb stairs to get to it. Some communities want you to be able to 'do your fair share' and may feel, in their minds, that this is an impediment to your doing so. Each community SOO varies!

If you contact and/or visit a community and they tell you that they cannot accept you for this reason, do NOT be discouraged! :) It just means this isn't where our Lord wants you. While it may seem ideal to you, and you cannot imagine why you aren't accepted in whatever community you're considering, (and you are tempted to stop discerning religious life altogether) know this:our Lord sees behind the scenes and knows that which you know not. If you are called to the reliigious life, this is one of the ways He guides you to the place He's chosen for you from all eternity.. . by closing some doors, so that you go through another. I hope that doesn't sound too much like a downer. I just know that each community is different than the next. One might say 'no, we can't accept you' and allthewhile, the next one is saying 'so what if you have_______ ?' He will show you where you are to go!

By the way, yes, Mother Angelica had knee issues early in her formation, and in fact has had health issues all her life, off and on, but each person is an individual when it comes to vocations, you know? Like I said, I've known sisters who were prevented from entering or were sent away, due to health issues, that seem to make no sense, as they had others in their communities who had health issues as well. . . but each of the 3 sisters I am considering specifically, went to other communities, were accepted and are now incredibly happy. . .something they may not have been, had they stayed in the situation they were in previously.

Funny how God works, eh? Don't worry. . .just be open with the community, and God will do the rest ;)

God bless you. I will keep you in prayer.

Hey Denise,

I am new to this site so I dont know all that you have been through but from the few posts that I have read your faith and determination to follow God's will is truly inspirational! Thank you for your words, as always you have so much to contribute :) My prayers are with you on your retreat!

God Bless,

Allison

My prayers are with you as you discern our Lord's will. . .He takes care of those, in a special way, whom He calls to be His bride. :saint: He will show you His will. . .bum knee that acts up, or not! LOL It is good to see such heroism as you strive to be countercultural in today's society. God bless you.

Piobaire: I agree that your soccer knee will not be an obstacle to a true vocation; if a community turns you down because of it, keep looking. One of my sister teachers was blind in one eye from a childhood accident, was rejected from one order, but welcomed by another without a problem--and in many years of teaching, believe it, nothing escaped her in the classroom!! :topsy:

BTW:
The Benedictines of Jesus Crucified accept women with and without physical disabilities. They have one monastery in the US--in Branford CT. They have gone so far as to accept women who are confined to wheelchairs--obviously kneeling is not an issue with them! Needless to say, there are very few stairs in their monastery...

Thanks stlmon, I will have to check them out. OLAM seems to be where my heart is drawn and I dont even know that they would turn me down but it is good to have even more options to check out!

Piobaire, thanks for starting up a conversation on this topic. While indirectly related, I though I'd mention these few articles/communities:

[b][url="http://www.dominicanmissionaries.org/index1.html"]Dominican Missionaries for the Deaf Apostolate[/url]?[/b]- A Dominican community of Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Hearing men who have knowlege of sign language.

[b][url="http://www.highbeam.com/library/docfree.asp?DOCID=1G1:60026737&ctrlInfo=Round20%3AMode20c%3ADocG%3AResult&ao="]Communities to welcome the disabled[/url][/b]- A NCR article from 2000

[b][url="http://www.ncpd.org/Letter%20to%20Editor%20OSV%20Oct.htm"]National Catholic Partnership on Disability[/url][/b]- also for your viewing pleasure.

:)

Edited by shortnun

passionheart

My friend,

I have the same issue with my knee and like you I was afraid to mention it. However, during my meeting with the Council members at the Dominican Monastery, I told about my knee I had surgery on when I was 15. It can give trouble so I try to protect the knee as much as possible. The sister told me it was OK!!

As well, the latest MRI I had told me the knee is stable and so I do my part by keeping up my exercises. So yes, tell them the truth because when I didn't talk about my knee, I felt I was hiding something from them and this didn't sit well with me.

Also, I met the Benedictine Community in CT when they were in Rhode Island. This community has a lot of life in it.

Edited by passionheart

AlterDominicus

Welcome to my world. I broke my arm when I was five off a bar stool, I have asthma, I'm highly allergic to nuts and peanut butter, anything in that category, I had a bike accident to where my knee will never be the same, as in its scarred quite badly, I was stupid lol, and I jumped over a two feet cement wall, and I was hanging on for dear life, and I fell, having a bleeding dent which is now a big like stripe scar a cm wide I believe on that same leg with my knee. LOL. Anything else you'd like to know? :) :lol_pound:

I'm a very brittle insulin dependent diabetic, whose kidneys are starting to fail now, so I've known for a long time that I would be a real liability to a community. (I can't get insurance at all.)

• 2 weeks later...
josefamaria

I suffer from severe knee problems, too (both need replaced) which will probably hinder my being able to enter until that is done. Someone from church told me that the Sisters of the Lamb of God in Kentucky do not have age or health limitations. I pulled up their website but I can't tell much about them. Does anyone know anything about this order (are they faithful to the Magisterium, do they wear habits, etc?). My friend didn't know much other than the no limitations info.

Edited by josefamaria

[quote name='josefamaria' post='1005789' date='Jun 14 2006, 06:47 PM']
I suffer from severe knee problems, too (both need replaced) which will probably hinder my being able to enter until that is done. Someone from church told me that the Sisters of the Lamb of God in Kentucky do not have age or health limitations. I pulled up their website but I can't tell much about them. Does anyone know anything about this order (are they faithful to the Magisterium, do they wear habits, etc?). My friend didn't know much other than the no limitations info.
[/quote]

I just did a google search out of curiousity and found another website with information about the community with a few pictures: [url="http://www.sistersofthelambofgod.org/index.html"]Sisters[/url]

I don't know anything about them personally, but they don't seem to be listed on either the IRL or CMSWR websites which tend to list habited orthodox orders. However they don't appear on the LCWR list with the non-habited orders either. Sorry... :idontknow:

Perhaps you can write or call them? God bless

[quote name='josefamaria' post='1005789' date='Jun 14 2006, 07:47 PM']
[/quote]

The Sisters of the Lamb of God in Philpot, KY, do not wear the habit. I know they updated after VII, and a young lady from my hometown made profession in the order. She looked like she might have had some kind of health problem.

As for adherance to the Magisterium, you may have to write or call and find out. (Then let us know)!

Now, after looking at the aforementioned website, I can see that they've moved into Owensboro proper, and some of the older sisters do wear the habit. I'm not sure if the sister from my hometown is pictured.

Their habit used to be all white, with a veil and crucifix, and huge black clunky shoes. If everyone would get on the same sheet of music with the habit, their cause would be greatly helped.

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma