An Old School Catholic Message Board

Health Issues and the Religious life

awyers

[quote name='williamb' post='998408' date='Jun 6 2006, 12:02 PM']
I'm a very brittle insulin dependent diabetic, whose kidneys are starting to fail now, so I've known for a long time that I would be a real liability to a community. (I can't get insurance at all.)
[/quote]

There is such a thing as a claustral oblate. They give what service they can to the community, but don't make religious vows, and stay on SSI or whatever. They can leave or be dismissed whenever necessary. Their funds are entrusted to the superior's care.

In your case, williamb, if you were to find a community with claustral oblates, you'd wear a different habit after taking some initial training, help out where you could, but your financial and medical needs would come from outside the monastery. Of course, someone within would help care for you.

I hope I've made that clear. A lot of folks haven't heard of claustral oblates, and don't understand the concept.

Blessings,
Gemma

AlterDominicus

Oh yeah! I also suffer from feet problems, my tendents in my feet are too tight, so I have slightly curved arch on both of my feet, and boy does it hurt if I'm doing something major, but I'm not really a complainer so no worries there. :)

josefamaria

[quote name='magnificat' post='1005900' date='Jun 14 2006, 09:40 PM']
I just did a google search out of curiousity and found another website with information about the community with a few pictures: [url="http://www.sistersofthelambofgod.org/index.html"]Sisters[/url]

I don't know anything about them personally, but they don't seem to be listed on either the IRL or CMSWR websites which tend to list habited orthodox orders. However they don't appear on the LCWR list with the non-habited orders either. Sorry... :idontknow:

Perhaps you can write or call them? God bless
[/quote]
Magnificat: thank you for that site--it is a different one that I had found. It has more info on it.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1006071' date='Jun 15 2006, 05:02 AM']
The Sisters of the Lamb of God in Philpot, KY, do not wear the habit. I know they updated after VII, and a young lady from my hometown made profession in the order. She looked like she might have had some kind of health problem.

As for adherance to the Magisterium, you may have to write or call and find out. (Then let us know)!

Now, after looking at the aforementioned website, I can see that they've moved into Owensboro proper, and some of the older sisters do wear the habit. I'm not sure if the sister from my hometown is pictured.

Their habit used to be all white, with a veil and crucifix, and huge black clunky shoes. If everyone would get on the same sheet of music with the habit, their cause would be greatly helped.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
Gemma, I will be sending an e-mail and as soon as I know anything I will let you know. I am checking for a friend of mine also as she had a stroke in 1999 & has never really regained total use of her right arm. The Poor Clares allowed her to enter but it did not work out.