An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Americanism" - the liberal heresy

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

I have just been reading about Liberalism condemned here as the Americanism Heresy
Funny thing is it wasn't as bad then as today - for example, teaching in public schools included protestant prayer and King James Bibles - today it includes secularism, gay agenda, and anti-Christianity on one hand and Islamic instruction on the other…
Pope

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09169a.htm"]Pope Leo XIII[/url] was right to issue the St. Mike the Archangel prayer

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1009803' date='Jun 21 2006, 09:47 AM']
I have just been reading about Liberalism condemned here as the Americanism Heresy
Funny thing is it wasn't as bad then as today - for example, teaching in public schools included protestant prayer and King James Bibles - today it includes secularism, gay agenda, and anti-Christianity on one hand and Islamic instruction on the other…
Pope

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09169a.htm"]Pope Leo XIII[/url] was right to issue the St. Mike the Archangel prayer
[/quote]

Yep. You know it's a sad situation in America when even the Catholics are reminiscing about the good old days of Protestant prayer and King James Bibles in public schools.

Today it is absolutely imperative that Christian parents enroll their children in [i]good[/i] Christian schools, from kindergarten through high school. That, or home school. The public schools have simply become liberal zombie factories.

[quote name='Nathan' post='1009811' date='Jun 21 2006, 10:09 AM']
Yep. You know it's a sad situation in America when even the Catholics are reminiscing about the good old days of Protestant prayer and King James Bibles in public schools.

Today it is absolutely imperative that Christian parents enroll their children in [i]good[/i] Christian schools, from kindergarten through high school. That, or home school. The public schools have simply become liberal zombie factories.
[/quote]
The good old days for Catholics was back when the Supreme Court allowed public funds to go to private, Catholic Schools. Even after the funds were cut, the kids were sent to public schools where they still got to read the KJV.

the flutehonker

[quote]Today it is absolutely imperative that Christian parents enroll their children in good Christian schools, from kindergarten through high school. That, or home school. The public schools have simply become liberal zombie factories. [/quote]

As a high schooler, I can testify that this doesn't always work. Most of the kids I've seen go through a Christian school have completely rebelled against it, and claim to be atheist. I go to public school, and I enjoy the environment maybe even because it tests me, so that I can grow even stronger with my faith and know that I will always be able to stand up for it. (although prayer and time for bible reading during school would be AWESOME imo) I have many Catholic friends at my school, and we're quite accepted (although the many who claim to be gay or bi are just as if not more accepted :pinch: )

For me, definitely the hardest thing about it is being openly against homosexuality. That's when people get mean and nasty:weep:

A funny thing...three of my friends at another highschool say that Christianity is now a "fad" at their highschool. Going to church is all the rage... :mellow:

Edited by the flutehonker

[quote name='the flutehonker' post='1009900' date='Jun 21 2006, 01:07 PM']A funny thing...three of my friends at another highschool say that Christianity is now a "fad" at their highschool. Going to church is all the rage... :mellow:[/quote]

Interesting. I guess when everyone around you is an Atheistic anti-Christian, embracing God and Christianity is a major act of rebellion.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='the flutehonker' post='1009900' date='Jun 21 2006, 03:07 PM']
For me, definitely the hardest thing about it is being openly against homosexuality. That's when people get mean and nasty:weep:

A funny thing...three of my friends at another highschool say that Christianity is now a "fad" at their highschool. Going to church is all the rage... :mellow:
[/quote]
Wow, I admire you for being strong
I hate it when people get branded as haters for standing for what is right

It's always odd (even silly) when people are admired for being good when everyone else is bad... especially when it is you who stands out as being some how "interesting" or "novel" because you are the lone interesting conservative “good person.”
It’s even more interesting and notable when some of the popular people, the partiers and drinkers and sexers ask you to not change. Hmmm…

I experienced this when I was running with some punks in the mid-90's… I was labeled as the novel "straight-edge" and especially as the Catholic.

Today the world is even more interesting for us.
As SouthPark's Parker and Stone mentioned recently:
"to be punk anymore is to go into a party and say, 'George Bush f***ing rules!"

It's not easy to stand for what is honestly right... and I admire you for living that. You really are hard-core.
God bless you, flutehonker

Keep fighting the good fight. Keep working in the light.

Groo the Wanderer

Been thinking about this for quite a while now and I've come to a realization. I think (maybe suspect is a better fit) that the Church is about to undergo a major growth spurt.

Think back on all the times in the last 2000 years the Church has come under persecution in some form or another. What happened?

My RE Director pointed out to me that the Church is always at its best under two conditions:
1. it is poor or strapped for resources
2. it is under persecution

As for the first point...I would have to say we are resource poor today in a number of ways. Shortage of priests, schools closing, etc

As for the second....the persecution is self-evident. Look how our kids are treated in schools (Catholic or Protestant), look at the media bias against religion, the culture of death in the country, and the hostility toward Christianity in the government.

Yep...methinks we are living in interesting times indeed. Keep up the fight, pray hard and unceasingly, then reap the rewards when we have come through the fire.

A side note: I pray daily that all American Christians would get off thier duffs and vote like a Christian in each and every election, no matter the level. Just imagine the change we could enact!

the flutehonker

[quote]It's not easy to stand for what is honestly right... and I admire you for living that. You really are hard-core.
God bless you, flutehonker[/quote]

:blush: Really, you overestimate me. I feel I fail to speak up in certain situations much too often, but I know I am growing. I'm also extremely blessed to have friends who have my back, even when they disagree with me. One in particular was responsible for making me question my beliefs about everything and encouraged (not purposely though, she was trying to bring me to her religion!) me to stop being a cafeteria Catholic. If it weren't for her, I would be really ignorant about pretty much everything. Funny thing is, she's not even Catholic in the first place, and she claims that [b]I[/b] inspired [b]her[/b]. God works in awesome ways ^_^ .

(btw...I gave her this website...HI MEL!!! if you're here, ask these people any questions you have, they're awesome!!!)

Thank you so much for your encouragement Lounge Daddy. Knowing I'm not alone really inspires me to live up to my absolute best :)
I was reflecting on psalm 91 today, it's awesome.

[quote]Been thinking about this for quite a while now and I've come to a realization. I think (maybe suspect is a better fit) that the Church is about to undergo a major growth spurt.

Think back on all the times in the last 2000 years the Church has come under persecution in some form or another. What happened?

My RE Director pointed out to me that the Church is always at its best under two conditions:
1. it is poor or strapped for resources
2. it is under persecution[/quote]

That is quite interesting. We are certainly under attack at the moment. The thought of a growth spurt is extremely heartening.

:shield:
ready

Edited by the flutehonker

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1010944' date='Jun 23 2006, 10:25 AM']As SouthPark's Parker and Stone mentioned recently:
"to be punk anymore is to go into a party and say, 'George Bush f***ing rules!"[/quote]

Haha, ain't it the truth. Openly supporting Bush these days, especially as a young person, is straight-up punk. It is going against the grain.

The true punks of today, the rebels, are conservatives. Being a liberal is just following the herd. In the coming years I think we'll see more and more young people recognizing this.

Edited by Nathan

the flutehonker

[quote]The true punks of today, the rebels, are conservatives. Being a liberal is just following the herd. In the coming years I think we'll see more and more young people recognizing this.[/quote]

very true

MissScripture

[quote name='Nathan' post='1011152' date='Jun 23 2006, 08:57 PM']
Haha, ain't it the truth. Openly supporting Bush these days, especially as a young person, is straight-up punk. It is going against the grain.

The true punks of today, the rebels, are conservatives. Being a liberal is just following the herd. In the coming years I think we'll see more and more young people recognizing this.
[/quote]

I find it amusing when the liberals claim that they are the ones going against the grain when they are being liberal...

[quote]As a high schooler, I can testify that this doesn't always work. Most of the kids I've seen go through a Christian school have completely rebelled against it, and claim to be atheist. [/quote]
But the question is, were they GOOD Christian schools? I went to a Catholic High School that turns out more atheists and anti-Catholics than they do good Catholics, but I blame that on the fact that it isn't a GOOD Catholic school. Atheism and anti-Catholicism are tolerated (and sort of encouraged), so it's not really surprising...but still incredibly upsetting...

Bush managed to get enough votes to beat out everyone else, not once, but twice. Supporting him is hardly going "against the grain".

[quote name='Era Might' post='1011270' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:05 PM']
Bush managed to get enough votes to beat out everyone else, not once, but twice. Supporting him is hardly going "against the grain".
[/quote]

It is if you're under thirty.

the flutehonker

[quote]Bush managed to get enough votes to beat out everyone else, not once, but twice. Supporting him is hardly going "against the grain".[/quote]

[quote]It is if you're under thirty. [/quote]

Yeah, in my history class before the elections we all had to research and write essays supporting the candidate of our choice. There were about 5 people for Bush and 25 people for Kerry.