An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Americanism" - the liberal heresy

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Nathan' post='1011152' date='Jun 23 2006, 09:57 PM']
The true punks of today, the rebels, are conservatives. Being a liberal is just following the herd. In the coming years I think we'll see more and more young people recognizing this.
[/quote]

heck ya! I dig on [url="http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp"]ConservativePunk.com[/url] - founded by Misfits vocalist Mike Graves.
One of my favorite bands is [url="http://www.conservativepunk.com/BandProfile.asp?contactId=70"]Smart Bombs & Apple Pie[/url]
:cool:
If only they didn't cuss so much. That probably would not bug me so much if I didn't have kids...
WOW! God blessed me with family AND some decent social sensitivities :)

Edited by Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Nathan' post='1011474' date='Jun 24 2006, 07:40 AM']
It is if you're under thirty.
[/quote]
The 18-29 population who voted were split down the middle in 2000 between Gore and Bush, pretty much 50/50.

In 2004, Kerry won a bit more (56%), but that was on the back of growing reaction to a first-term president. Change is the eternal hope.

This country is pretty evenly divided.

Hmm. Perhaps my judgement is clouded by fact that I live in Toronto -- by far the most liberal city in one of Canada's most liberal provinces -- and attend a huge public university where, needless to say, lib-leftists rule with an iron fist. In my neck of the woods, the general consensus is that George W. Bush is a couple of shades worse than Adolf Hitler. It is almost [i]criminal[/i] to openly support Bush here; people will attack you.

As a friend of mine says, if you want to start a riot all you've gotta do is walk down St. George Street in a T-shirt that says "Bush Rules!"

Edited by Nathan

Yah, I think it all depends on where you live. The university scene is definitely populated by radical "leftists", so maybe that's why a lot of young people feel they are radically outnumbered. But, if you get into the South/Midwest US, you'll find the core of Bush support.

I think really going "against the grain" in any age is not going to be politics, but serving God. Even in a Catholic world, people who really aspired to holiness had to contend with other tepid Catholics.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1011689' date='Jun 24 2006, 04:36 PM']Even in a Catholic world, people who really aspired to holiness had to contend with other tepid Catholics.[/quote]

True enough. The call to holiness always has been a radical thing, even in the thoroughly Catholic nations of old.

Anastasia13

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1010956' date='Jun 23 2006, 10:02 AM']My RE Director pointed out to me that the Church is always at its best under two conditions:
1. it is poor or strapped for resources
2. it is under persecution[/quote]
There is something to be said for the impact those have on Christianity.