An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Benedictine Monastics

memory-singer

memory-singer

Hi, I'm a fairly new phatmasser in the processs of finding my way into a Benedictine monastery. It would be great to share with others whose hearts have been drawn to this particular "school of the Lord's service."

Pax,

Dare

daugher-of-Mary

Can I ask what monastery? I live near St. Vincent Archabbey/St. Emma's Monastery, and love the Benedictine spirituality so much!

puellapaschalis

Hey there :)

There are definitely some of us Benedictines about here! It's always good to have another - make yourself at home. There are some threads about Benedictines too on this board, which you'll easily find with a search.

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' post='1011043' date='Jun 23 2006, 01:18 PM']
Can I ask what monastery? I live near St. Vincent Archabbey/St. Emma's Monastery, and love the Benedictine spirituality so much!
[/quote]

St. Emma would be the one. I hope to visit in August as I can't get away in July for the monastic rexperience. You are so blessed to live near them. I live on the west coast.

I love the Benedictine spirituality also. Will write more later.

pax,

Dare

daugher-of-Mary

Oh I'm so glad! :D: They are such a beautiful community. Prayers for you as you continue along the Benedictine way!

memory-singer

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' post='1011696' date='Jun 24 2006, 04:01 PM']
Oh I'm so glad! :D: They are such a beautiful community. Prayers for you as you continue along the Benedictine way!
[/quote]

Tomorrow :topsy: I'm talking with Mother Mary Anne and should find out the dates of my visit in August. Pray!!

Dare

Hey, a big welcome to you! :welcome: It's wonderful to see St. Emma's experiencing a rebirth of vocations in the past 10 years.
God bless!

I forgot to ask earlier if you had any contact with St. Emma's sister monastery in CO--St. Walburga's in Virginia Dale, CO?

memory-singer

Hello again,

I just got off the phone with Mother Mary Anne at St. Emmas and I will be going there in mid -August for a full week!!!!! :) I have 8 days of "comp" time that I have to use up before the end of August. Tomorrow I'll email my boss and then I'll know the exact dates I have free. Also Sr. Maria, the novice mistress, just mailed me some books etc.. I can hardly wait for them to arrive.

Yes, I've seen the Abbey of St. Walburga web site. It looks wonderful. But something at St. Emma has touched my heart. For whatever reason, I know that's the place to begin discernment.

Please remember to pray for the community at St. Emma as they celebrate their 75th anniversary this Saturday. (Mother said it would be nice if the rain cleared up :thumbsup: .)

Pax,

Dare

Wonderful news, Dare! I grew up in western Pennsylvania and the whole area around St. Emma's is just naturally beautiful country. You will be a most welcome guest of the sisters. :blush:

puellapaschalis

Heck, why didn't I think of this before?

[url="http://www.osb-international.info/index/en.html"]This[/url] is a link to the website of the OSB Confederation. Now we Bennies are used to our autonomy ( :ninja: :cool: :P: ) and thus as far as I'm concerned the best bit about this website is the atlas - it's got contact details (including websites, if available) for [i]every Benedictine house on the planet[/i] (or so they claim! :sweat: ), which is pretty impressive by anyone's standards. I particularly value it because my parish priest's handwriting is near-illegible (I hope he never finds this!) and it's great for double-checking how an address is spelt :detective: :lol_roll:

Anyhows, I hope it's useful to someone who's searching for a Benny House.

Love and Petrine prayers (Paul and I are currently having a tiff),

PP

PS For the language geeks amongst us (I can't be the only one, surely?!), please note and enjoy muchly the fact that this site is in sixteen languages!

Edited by puellapaschalis

memory-singer

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1014671' date='Jun 29 2006, 01:50 PM']
Heck, why didn't I think of this before?

[url="http://www.osb-international.info/index/en.html"]This[/url] is a link to the website of the OSB Confederation. Now we Bennies are used to our autonomy ( :ninja: :cool: :P: ) and thus as far as I'm concerned the best bit about this website is the atlas - it's got contact details (including websites, if available) for [i]every Benedictine house on the planet[/i] (or so they claim! :sweat: ), which is pretty impressive by anyone's standards. I particularly value it because my parish priest's handwriting is near-illegible (I hope he never finds this!) and it's great for double-checking how an address is spelt :detective: :lol_roll:

Anyhows, I hope it's useful to someone who's searching for a Benny House.

Love and Petrine prayers (Paul and I are currently having a tiff),

PP

PS For the language geeks amongst us (I can't be the only one, surely?!), please note and enjoy muchly the fact that this site is in sixteen languages!
[/quote]

It's a great site. As a fellow language geek I thank you :clap:

pax,

Dare

Congrats, Dare of Mercy

The OSB's have always been my favorites. There are a lot of choices in the U S of A--traditional habited DO in Latin Greg chant like Mary Immac in Vermont, of Solesmes cong, Regina Laudis in Bethlehem CT, Petersham MA nuns, Walburga in CO already mentioned, a group on an island off WA who raise livestock!--as do nuns at Regina Laudis, also.

The civvie large and older OSB congregations are also experiencing more vocations now--Cottonwood, ID, Ferdinand, IN--they've had a tough time as they were so large.

I hope you will give us a followup on your visit. I, too, am happy that St. Emma's has experienced a resurgence--I believe that for years they cooked at St. Vincent's Archabbey, then returned to do retreat work and voila!--vocations!