An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Benedictine Monastics

memory-singer

memory-singer

Hi Everyone,

I have my dates to visit St. Emma. I'll be flying there on Sunday August 13 and returning home on Monday August 21. I am so excited. Please pray for me. I have 3 weeks of vacation due in October and if it works out, I hope to spend most of them at St. :banana: Emma's. Please remember to pray for them tomorrow when they have the 75th anniversary Mass.

Pax,
Dare

Praying that you will have that sense of being "at home" with the sisters at St. Emma's and that you will be able to fully "listen with the ear of the heart" while you are with them. :saint:

memory-singer

[quote name='In His Light' post='1015533' date='Jun 30 2006, 09:43 PM']
:yahoo:
Hello from a Aussie Benedictine :D: to be.

Hope it goes well for you.

In His Light
[/quote]

Thank you so much. I fdeep peace means anything, "all will be well."

Pax,
Dare

memory-singer

Just wanted to put Bennies at the top :banana: Working on some degree of humility.

Pax,

Dare

puellapaschalis
:lol_above: Now now. Chapter 7! Our time will come, Bens. No need to :sumo:

;)

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

Sr Maria, the novice mistress at St. Emma sent me some books etc which I finally am able to look at. Has anyone read [u]St Benedict of Nursia: A Way of Wisdom for Today[/u] ?It is published in France by Editions Du Signe.. You will love it. It's really more a journal than a book, with articles on benedictine life, history and spirituality from all over the world. The copy I have is in English.
A must read. :clap:

Pax,

dare

P.S. The pictures of communities (all habited) on every continent iareglorious

Have all of you Benedictine fans read In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden? You should if you haven't, but you probably have. It's awesome. I love that book....

I have a friend who would like to take a retreat to a Benedictine monastery (or are they called Abbeys in Benedictine circles). Do you have any recommendations for orthodox Benedictines in California that do retreats.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1021421' date='Jul 11 2006, 02:00 AM']
I have a friend who would like to take a retreat to a Benedictine monastery (or are they called Abbeys in Benedictine circles). Do you have any recommendations for orthodox Benedictines in California that do retreats.
[/quote]

Roughly speaking, an Abbey is a financially self-sufficient monastic house; a Priory is one that is still dependent upon its mother. However, there are congregations that exist purely of Priories, usually for some (now considered) cool historical reason, e.g. political upheaveals involved greedy statesmen wanting to be "Abbots" of monasteries in order to be able to collect the House's financial gains. The solution? Declare Our Lady to be your Abbess, and let the Prioress do the talking.

In California I know of [url="http://www.princeofpeaceabbey.org/"]Prince of Peace Abbey[/url] (one of the monks has a [url="http://monkallover.blogspot.com/"]blog[/url]) and a Camaldolese Congregation hermitage at the following address (I don't think they have a website, but I could well be wrong):

New Camaldoli Hermitage
Big Sur, CA 93920

(the Camaldolese tradition has a balance going on between the communal monastic life and individual life as a hermit; a bit like Carthusian life, really).

I hope this helps a little.

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1021406' date='Jul 10 2006, 04:28 PM']
Have all of you Benedictine fans read In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden? You should if you haven't, but you probably have. It's awesome. I love that book....
[/quote]

There is a monastery of monks in Valyermo (Archdiocese of LA) who are wonderful. Their grounds are extraordinarily beautiful.

Pax,

Dare

There is also the Cistercian Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina,CA. I don't have the link for their website.

While not in California, the Benedictine Nuns of Virginia Dale, CO also have retreats (St. Walburga's Monastery). They have a number of new, younger vocations now, too. :blush: