An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Budge

Thy Geekdom Come

Jesuspaidtheprice

[quote name='Raphael' post='1018217' date='Jul 6 2006, 11:05 AM']
A position against ecumenism is NOT what Catholicism really teaches.
[/quote]

I didn't think phatmass allowed links to what they considered schismatic groups that claim Catholicism as their religion? So if Fisheaters is a legit Catholic site since it hasn't been edited out, then maybe this young man has a point. Catholicism certianly has not always been so friendly to ecumenical movements. Perhaps EENS has come onto something and Rome's theology has changed as much as it has 'developed' over time. The existence of such Catholic websites seem to confirm this.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019093' date='Jul 7 2006, 09:28 AM']
I didn't think phatmass allowed links to what they considered schismatic groups that claim Catholicism as their religion? So if Fisheaters is a legit Catholic site since it hasn't been edited out, then maybe this young man has a point. Catholicism certianly has not always been so friendly to ecumenical movements. Perhaps EENS has come onto something and Rome's theology has changed as much as it has 'developed' over time. The existence of such Catholic websites seem to confirm this.
[/quote]
Just because EENS broke the rules and a regulator hasn't edited it yet doesn't make him right. Even if they would refuse to edit it, it would still be anti-Catholic. The choice of regulators to edit or not to edit is not powerful enough to determine the fidelity of a group of people. Regulators simply do not have the kind of authority necessary to say that those who oppose the Church are Catholics. Fisheaters is an anti-Catholic site. No amount of regulation on the part of Phatmass will change that.

Edited by Raphael

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019093' date='Jul 7 2006, 08:28 AM']
[/quote]
i reported it already.

but i think people from fisheaters tend to complain when we block their links

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='ReinnieR' post='1019184' date='Jul 7 2006, 11:45 AM']
yeah it only took days

and i even imed flowery

but she never got on phatmass
[/quote]
Let it go. They work hard and you never know what kind of stuff they are keeping busy with. I'm sure IcePrincess has many other things going on in her life right now. ;)

i'm only kidding and giving them a hard time. that's just what rei does. i love everyone of them. i know they do a great job

Why did you all edit that forum?

Makes no sense.

Poor Trad Catholics, they dont realize they are considered really PROTESTANTS too for disagreeing with the march to the one world religion.

{Anyway Ive been to Fisheaters Forum before, havent posted but have lurked there}

Jesuspaidtheprice

If they are Christians, then they would be Protestants, as in Protesting the Catholic faith/Church. If they are not Christians then they could not fall under that banner. Historically only those who left the Church, but were Christians are called Protestants. We don't consider JW or Mormons Christians, though they try to walk under the banner of Christ, their heresy is so great that they destroy the power of the cross to save. From looking around this website often creates straw man fallacies piecing together various documents to best suit their preconceived assumptions of what they believe the Church should be. It is much easier simply to separate yourself from Rome altogether and go your own way. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

Edited by Jesuspaidtheprice

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1019417' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:42 PM']
Why did you all edit that forum?

Makes no sense.

Poor Trad Catholics, they dont realize they are considered really PROTESTANTS too for disagreeing with the march to the one world religion.

{Anyway Ive been to Fisheaters Forum before, havent posted but have lurked there}
[/quote]
Traditionalists are not protestants, they are simply disobedient Catholics who think they know the Church better than the Church does.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019482' date='Jul 7 2006, 06:45 PM']
If they are Christians, then they would be Protestants, as in Protesting the Catholic faith/Church. If they are not Christians then they could not fall under that banner. Historically only those who left the Church, but were Christians are called Protestants. We don't consider JW or Mormons Christians, though they try to walk under the banner of Christ, their heresy is so great that they destroy the power of the cross to save. From looking around this website often creates straw man fallacies piecing together various documents to best suit their preconceived assumptions of what they believe the Church should be. It is much easier simply to separate yourself from Rome altogether and go your own way. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.
[/quote]

1. JWs and Mormons are apostates, which is a level worse than heretics.

2. Is your advice really, "It is much easier simply to separate yourself from Rome altogether and go your own way." Sounds like advice from Screwtape. If someone who claims obedience to the Roman Catholic Church sees fit to follow that advice, then it's very clear he is following His own will over and against his own mind and conscience. I mean, let's think this through...

Screwtape: "Yes, yes...he still wants to appear to be loyal to the Church, but keep his false views regardless. What you really need to do is convince him that in order to do what he wants to do, he needs to reject that silly, stubborn idea of authority and separate himself from it altogether. Then he'll be free to do as he wishes, regardless of what he knows he is supposed to do. Of course, if he did that, he'd be one of those Protestants, and if there's anything he hates more than true obedience, it's open disobedience, and you know he'd never be honest enough to let it be made public. Of course, those who try to serve themselves and their image ultimately end up like the boss, gazing constantly at themselves."

Ah, the loneliness of going "your own way," and all the saintly company in going the way of the Church!

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Our own way is not His way. Of course it is easier.

Edited by thedude

Jesuspaidtheprice

[quote]1. JWs and Mormons are apostates, which is a level worse than heretics.[/quote]

Was someone arguing otherwise?

[quote]2. Is your advice really, "It is much easier simply to separate yourself from Rome altogether and go your own way." Sounds like advice from Screwtape. If someone who claims obedience to the Roman Catholic Church sees fit to follow that advice, then it's very clear he is following His own will over and against his own mind and conscience. I mean, let's think this through...[/quote]

You fail to see the point, but then I'm not directing my conversation towards you either. If someone sees obedience to Rome as wrong on any manner of points, as clearly as these 'fisheaters' do, it is better for them to separate themselves from the Church and not pretend obedience. It is simply logical. If you believe in some type of real presence, but not the papacy, then you would be better and more honest with yourself and be a Lutheran then try to call yourself a Catholic. I'm not trying to presuade anyone to do anything. I'm simply making sense out of the situation.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019839' date='Jul 8 2006, 08:33 AM']
You fail to see the point, but then I'm not directing my conversation towards you either. If someone sees obedience to Rome as wrong on any manner of points, as clearly as these 'fisheaters' do, it is better for them to separate themselves from the Church and not pretend obedience. It is simply logical. If you believe in some type of real presence, but not the papacy, then you would be better and more honest with yourself and be a Lutheran then try to call yourself a Catholic. I'm not trying to presuade anyone to do anything. I'm simply making sense out of the situation.
[/quote]

I agree that those who dissent from one teaching of the Church would be more honest if they just became Protestant rather than became a "Catholic" dissident, but I can't agree that it's the right response. It would be even more honest to seek the truth and learn why the Church teaches what it does, so that their dissent may be converted to obedience. In light of this virtuous response, it seems entirely hateful of Christ to seek to go one's own way. I have sought too often to go my own way from Christ, and my hate drives me to it, but my love of Him brings me back.

• 3 weeks later...