An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is God a vending machine?

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

As many of you have seen on TV, there are many preachers of the "Name it and claim it" variety. Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyers, Benny Hinn and Robert Tilton are all of this ilk. If you do the things that please God-- including chosing your Christian CDs wisely, and claim your heart's desire, you'll get it. If you don't get it, it's your fault. It's as though God grants wishes to those who please Him.

Recently, I received this email:

[quote]
Okay, I picked twelve people who I thought would DO this. I hope I chose
the right twelve. Please send this back to me (You'll see why). In case
anyone is interested, Saint Theresa is known as the Saint of the Little
Ways. Meaning she believed in doing the little things in life well and
with great love. She is also the patron Saint of flower growers and
florists. She is represented by roses. May everyone who receives this
message be blessed. Theresa's Prayer cannot be deleted. REMEMBER to take
a wish before you read the poem. That's all you have to do. There is
nothing attached. Just send this to eleven people and let me know what
happens on the fourth day. Sorry you have to forward the message, but
try not to break this, please. Prayer is one of the best free gifts we
receive. There is no cost but a lot of reward.(Did you make a wish?) If
you don't make a wish, it won't come true. This is your last chance to
make a wish.
St. Theresa's Prayer: May today there be peace within. May you trust God
that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the
infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts
that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to
you.... May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this
presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to
sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us
Now, send this to 11 people within the next 5 minutes. And remember to
Send this back. I count as 1...you'll see why. Suggestion: copy and
paste rather than forward. [/quote]

How is the underlying principle of this any different than the "Health and Wealth" theology?

cmotherofpirl

None.
The underlying belief is that of a child believing in magic, do such and such spell and you get what you want.

"If wishes were horses- then beggers would ride...."

Is this the same as saying that I'm still single because I didn't forward some e-mail? And not because God knows it's best for me to be single? Am I reading this one right?

??

Funny thing is, God usually gives me an idea as to why I'm single, which kinda surprises me. I usually expect him to say "Just trust Me" and not actually tell me why such and such happens.

Yeah, I really get sick of these. I'm on MySpace (if anybody else is you probably know what I'm talking about) and all the time there are messages floating around like "If you love Jesus send this to a million people or else you hate him and you'll go to hell." Right... I almost resent how the Lord is lowered to, as you put it, a vending machine.

There's those other ones that are like "if you don't send this to 1,000 people your MySpace will be deleted and you'll have bad luck for a million years!!! No Lie!!!" *vomit*

frozencell

"There is this little girl who is dying of cancer and a multi-billionaire has offered to pay $1,000 dollars for everyone you send this e-mail to! Please don't delete! SHE NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!"

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit etc.

Actually, Mrs. Frozen and I started a chain letter once a long time ago that went something like that (a mom pleading on behalf of her dying daughter) just to see if ti would get back to me. It never did. I now feel ashamed. Ha ha ha.......

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='frozencell' post='1016867' date='Jul 3 2006, 08:20 PM']
That e-mail was a little disturbing. Too "mysticism" for my tastes.
[/quote]
There's nothing mystical about it. It's a chain letter of the religious variety based on using a superstitious approach to God and the saints, whereby we do or say something just the right way and get rewarded. We aren't dogs. We're humans. God made us with the dignity not to require a stimulus-response approach to Him.

Edited by Raphael

phatcatholic

have you all ever seen Robert Tilton's show? its on late at night, on TBN. its hilarious............but only b/c you have to laugh to keep from crying. basically, he just finds a different way each night to tell people that you don't have faith unless you call in and make a "covenant vow" (aka, give them your money). a [b][i]covenant[/i][/b] vow? :maddest: this is just as bad as swearing.......

some entries from the directory on this:

--[url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/630"]Refuting the Word-Faith Movement and a Health-Wealth Gospel[/url]
--[url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/631"]Scripture References[/url]

pax christi,
phatcatholic

when i was an Athiest that is why i HATED Christians so much(well... one reason), thier 'god' seemed so crule and he seemed to pick favorites. i always had problems with 'if you only had more Faith', it drove me to the point of Atheism. you can only have so much 'faith' that everything is going to get better for so long. after about 6 months you start to loose faith. when i became an Atheist i constructed things around the buddist Four Noble Truths (though they were not exactly my belief). I realized the meaning to life is that of suffering, in life everyone sufferes, we suffer our whole life. the next question to answer is 'what is the meaning of suffering'. we Find that meaning in Christ. The 'god' of those who believe "just have more faith and it will all get better" i have come to realize is not the Christian God but the god of gnostics and pagans.

let_go_let_God

I've recieved that email too. Chain letters somehow always have the way of getting under people's skin. HSM I like how you put the title of this thread though,

[quote]Is God a vending machine?[/quote]

Some of my friends have told me that if I don't continue to do acts of charity or basically act holier than though, God won't give me my greatest desires in life. This took me about 18.5 years to understand, but God will give every person the graces and burdens that He knows that we can handle. Also that if we continue to ask for His love and grace in a sincere manner, we will not be denied.

Many people (including myself at times) probably act like God is a vending machine. I just keep reminding myself that God will give me what I can handle.

God bless-
LGLG

MissScripture

Ok, I have a question. I was in a church one time and I found a paper with a prayer to a saint (I don't remember which) and it was instructions for a novena, but it said that you should place a copy in a church every day (I'm assuming so that others will find it, as I did) and on the 7th day your request will be granted. Am I correct in assuming that it is essentially the same thing as one of those e-mail chains, since it garuntees the response requested, especially since it would be before the prayer was over...

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1017862' date='Jul 5 2006, 08:46 PM']
Some of my friends have told me that if I don't continue to do acts of charity or basically act holier than though, God won't give me my greatest desires in life. [/quote]
I personally can't stand people who act holier-than-thou, even if they don't intend to do it. It's a VERY thin line between evangelizing to someone and acting holier-than-thou... For instance, talking about how horrible it that people do suchandsuch sin (which the talked-to does) is a big no-no, whereas playing dumb and saying something like "I don't do that cause I think..." would be the route I'd take. Who knows, maybe I'm acting holier-than-thou-who-acts-holier-than-thou right now, but it's only what they dish out in that case :-P

Aye, and all of the spiritual chain letters I've read are all of the holier-than-thou wording.

PS If I'm not making sense these days, it's cause I've been posting in the morning after work, which is long past anybody's bedtime, including mine...

homeschoolmom

So, how is this any different?
[quote]
Novena Prayer To The Holy Spirit
You who solve all problems in that I may obtain my goals. You give me a divine gift to forgive and forget all evils against me in all instances in my life. I want in this short prayer to thank you for all things and to confirm once again that I never want to be separated from you in the Eternal Glory. Amen.

Say this prayer 3 days and the favour will be granted even if it seems difficult. The prayer must be published after the favour is granted[/quote]