An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is God a vending machine?

homeschoolmom

let_go_let_God

What does it mean that the "prayer must be published"

I understand that there is a difference between praying for something and letting God give it to you if it is in His Divine will, and dsaying that God will grant it to you in three days if you do what something says.

[quote]Novena Prayer To The Holy Spirit
You who solve all problems in that I may obtain my goals. You give me a divine gift to forgive and forget all evils against me in all instances in my life. I want in this short prayer to thank you for all things and to confirm once again that I never want to be separated from you in the Eternal Glory. Amen.[/quote]

I have no problem with this prayer, but

[quote]Say this prayer 3 days and the favour will be granted even if it seems difficult. The prayer must be published after the favour is granted[/quote]

When it comes to this, I'm not sure what to think, is it part of the novena itself, or just an additional part added to make you think?

God bless-
LGLG

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1019297' date='Jul 7 2006, 01:46 PM']
What does it mean that the "prayer must be published"

I understand that there is a difference between praying for something and letting God give it to you if it is in His Divine will, and dsaying that God will grant it to you in three days if you do what something says.
I have no problem with this prayer, but
When it comes to this, I'm not sure what to think, is it part of the novena itself, or just an additional part added to make you think?

God bless-
LGLG
[/quote]
They want to to publicize the fact you received what you asked for.
Again this is an attempt at magical thinking. "Do this to get that"

HE is not a tame lion you know.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='frozencell' post='1016935' date='Jul 3 2006, 10:19 PM']
"There is this little girl who is dying of cancer and a multi-billionaire has offered to pay $1,000 dollars for everyone you send this e-mail to! Please don't delete! SHE NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!"

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit etc.

Actually, Mrs. Frozen and I started a chain letter once a long time ago that went something like that (a mom pleading on behalf of her dying daughter) just to see if ti would get back to me. It never did. I now feel ashamed. Ha ha ha.......
[/quote]

:rolling:

Oh my word... thats hilarious! Shame on you!

let_go_let_God

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1019303' date='Jul 7 2006, 12:51 PM']
They want to to publicize the fact you received what you asked for.
Again this is an attempt at magical thinking. "Do this to get that"

HE is not a tame lion you know.
[/quote]

That's what I thought.

God bless-
LGLG

• 3 years later...
:ohno: "God is not a vending machine where you stick in your prayer and pull out your prize!" -Tess. I can't stand those people. I also don't like people toting around the Prayer of Jabez like it's a "get anything you want" prayer. <_<

Nihil Obstat

Chain letters of this type are just an underlying belief in occultism. I never pass on any kind of chain letter on principle, no exceptions.

I just bumped the following thread, since in a humorous way it is related to this topic:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=14260"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=14260[/url]

dairygirl4u2c

i would almost venture the scheme is necessarily not true, can't be.

saints ahve surely wished for world peace, and many other things as aspirational. or techniclogical iprovements etc. never happens. wasn't anything to do wit the saints' sincerity etc, i'd imagine. that i can see.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1016861' date='Jul 3 2006, 09:02 PM']None.
The underlying belief is that of a child believing in magic, do such and such spell and you get what you want.

"If wishes were horses- then beggers would ride...."[/quote]
accept if you do sch and such spell you might indeed get what you want.
The devil works very much in this way, God does not. Just ask Job.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1938455' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:38 PM']It always annoys me when people try to make God their errand monkey--I see this a lot on the religious shows.[/quote]
Speaking of which, I need a good errand monkey...