An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop says Medjugorje apparitions are divisive

Fides_et_Ratio

thessalonian

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1027634' date='Jul 20 2006, 02:59 PM']
Even if it came from an interview with the seer... we should be concerned.
[/quote]

Maybe. But their is no guarantee that the visionaries have a deeper understanding of the Catholic faith than you or I. The questions asked indicate they do not.

I think we need to be accurate here in assessing the words of the apparition and the visionaries. I am quite willing to go with what the Church goes with. I have not heard any ban on pilgrimages to medjugorie. I would go today if I could. The very fact that there are so many masses going on there and so many people truly with sincere hearts going their looking to deepen their faith produces fruit, regardless of the source of the apparition. One priest at our parish said that there was standing room outside only for the Mass that he did. All these Masses and prayers regardless of the apparition MUST BEAR FRUIT. Though to me they are a sign of the fruit. I have known many who have gone their and come back with a stronger faith.

Budge posted a statement by vatican officials that could be considered just as "vague" as the statements you have sited. He misinterpreted it to mean that all religions are equal. I just heard a radio program with Jim Tetlow, the usual anti-catholic. He has it that the vatican is trying to unite all muslims, Jews, Christians, Hindus, Budhahists, etc. etc. in to one religion by statements from the vatican and the Catechism. He even has quotes from Pope Benedict justifying this nonsense. This is a difficult area of theology to understand and that a visionary might misinterpret it is not surprizing.

Edited by thessalonian

• 2 weeks later...
Catholic Fanatic

Only twice that I see has she mentioned the Catholic Church. If the apparitions were real, she would have mentioned them more. The apparitions are nothing more than tools of Satan. He'll allow some who are saved to enter deeper into salvation as they are a lost cause to him. He'll allow a few to be saved if that means even more are being damned. Plus you argue that there are conversions, but conversions to what I ask you? If they are not being converted to the One, Holy, and Apostolic Church, they are doomed to Eternal Damnation.

She even went as far as to say the Catholic Church and Orthodoxy are equal. Of course there's a way to argue that she's not saying that if you read it that way, but the fact she didn't make it clear says a lot. Satan is rampant in Medjugorje. Pray for the wretched souls who are being lost.

[quote]August 18, 1982
Concerning the sick, Mirjana reports: "Have them believe and pray; I cannot help him who does not pray and does not sacrifice. The sick, just like those who are in good health, must pray and fast for the sick. The more you believe firmly, the more you pray and fast for the same intention, the greater is the grace and the mercy of God." Concerning a planned marriage between a Catholic and an Orthodox: "In my eyes and in the sight of God, everything is equal. But for you, it is not the same thing because you are divided. If it is possible, it is better if she were not to marry this man because she will suffer and her children also. She will be able to live and follow only with difficulty, the way of her faith."

June 25, 1985 (Tuesday)
"I invite you to call on everyone to pray the Rosary. With the rosary you shall overcome all the adversities which Satan is trying to inflict on the Catholic Church. All you priests, pray the Rosary! Dedicate your time to the Rosary!" (This message Our Lady gave in response to the question of Marija Pavlovic': "Our Lady, what do you wish to recommend to priests?")[/quote]
[url="http://medjugorje.altervista.org/"]http://medjugorje.altervista.org/[/url]

Edited by Catholic Fanatic

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1033744' date='Jul 29 2006, 03:33 PM']
Only twice that I see has she mentioned the Catholic Church. If the apparitions were real, she would have mentioned them more. The apparitions are nothing more than tools of Satan. He'll allow some who are saved to enter deeper into salvation as they are a lost cause to him. He'll allow a few to be saved if that means even more are being damned. Plus you argue that there are conversions, but conversions to what I ask you? If they are not being converted to the One, Holy, and Apostolic Church, they are doomed to Eternal Damnation.

She even went as far as to say the Catholic Church and Orthodoxy are equal. Of course there's a way to argue that she's not saying that if you read it that way, but the fact she didn't make it clear says a lot. Satan is rampant in Medjugorje. Pray for the wretched souls who are being lost.
[url="http://medjugorje.altervista.org/"]http://medjugorje.altervista.org/[/url]
[/quote]

This is such a knee jerk reaction, it is past the point of offensive. I personally know of several people (one of whom is MY FATHER) who converted because of their experience in Medjugorje. Where else would they be converting to if not the Church!?!? (Btw eternal damnation does not need to be capitalized.)

You say that satan in rampant in Medjugorje and then you quote "satan" saying that we should all pray the rosary more??

What possible sense does that make? Sheesh

People have every right to believe what they want UNTIL the Church makes an official ruling on it. But come on folks... At least have it make sense!

MissScripture

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1027634' date='Jul 20 2006, 02:59 PM']
Even if it came from an interview with the seer... we should be concerned.
[/quote]
I am not very knowledgeable about these apparitions (as I have said before), but are these interviews in English or is there room for misinterpretation in translation of the language? Or, if they are, English isn't their first language, and therefore they things may not come out as they mean for them to. Just some thoughts to consider...

Fides_et_Ratio

I think the fact that the Bishop asked the seers to stop out of obedience to the Church, yet they posted another "message" this month demonstrates Medjugorje's credibility (or lack thereof).

thessalonian

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1033887' date='Jul 29 2006, 09:11 PM']
I think the fact that the Bishop asked the seers to stop out of obedience to the Church, yet they posted another "message" this month demonstrates Medjugorje's credibility (or lack thereof).
[/quote]

Here is what he said:

"The bishops urged the "seers" of Medjugorje to "demonstrate ecclesiastical obedience and to cease with these public manifestations and messages in this parish." "

Cease where? Where do you see the message posted. If it is on a parish website, paid for by t he parish they are in disobedience as you say. If not, you are reading alot in to the message. He did not say cease the messages period. I am somewhat on the fence on all of this and will await the Churches final decision. But let's evaluate it ourselves with a level head in fairness as the Church will. Let's not distort statements by a bishop to the advantage of our personal opinions. I say this with all respect for you Fides.

Blessings