An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wicca & Satan

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

The Names of the deities of Wicca that are common to that of Satan...

Lucifer, Lucifera (female version "Diana"), lucifuge ("correct" spelling of lucifer), Horned One, the monster of old, Lord of the shadows, shaitan ("correct" spelling of satan)

From, Aradia: Gospel of the Witches (originally published 1899), one of Wicca's major sources.

"Diana greatly loved her brother [color="#FF0000"]Lucifer[/color], the god of the Sun and of the Moon, [color="#FF0000"]the god of Light, who was so proud of his beauty, and who for his pride was driven from Paradise[/color]."

Now an wiccan may say this "lucifer" is not the one of the bible, yet this statement that Lucifer was "driven from Paradise" for his "pride" is clearly a reference of the Bible's (ISAIAH 14:12) and (Ezekiel 28:15-17).

ISA 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
EZE 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
EZE 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground.

From the book "Lectures On Alexandrian Wicca Witchcraft"

"It is virtually impossible to understand the witch-cult without first comprehending the position of the deities of the wicca. The god, whose name is a closely-guarded secret, but who was called in general the "horned one," [color="#FF0000"]was known to his Christian contemporaries as the "devil." which was called by them satan (more correctly shaitan), lucifer (more correctly lucifuge--"the light-bringer"), beelzebub and other names appropriate to the devil of the Scriptures, with whom they identify him.[/color]"

Now this says something compelety different than Wicca is not Satan, it is a statement that the Church believed Wicca to be Satan. So, who we believe to be Satan is Wicca.

"The general accepted symbol of the left-handed path is the inverted triangle, called the triangle of darkness, [color="#FF0000"]symbolic of the Christian darkness[/color], and it is passed on to this day among the initiates that it was a certainty in the old days that the people of the Right-Hand path feared this dark knowledge."

"When the brotherhood of light and darkness realized that the whole world was to be engulfed in a world castrophe---[color="#FF0000"]that of the great flood[/color]---they consulted in unity to discuss the preservation of the mysteries. After many disagreements,the Council of Light and Darkness combined their symbology. As a result, the two triangles were interlaced to form a set pattern which has been handed down to the present day as the six-pointed star."

Noahs flood?

"Aradia, in her quest of knowledge, witched to pass by the gates of the lord of death. After having traveled many miles, she found at last the entrance to the Netherlands and the guardians that were set upon the seven gates, removed her jewels and garments, saying: "nought may ye bring with ye into this land." Naked and bound she was brought before the lord of shadows, who was lucifer, his light shrouded in darkness. He recognized her and desired her for his queen would have laid down his might and dominion for her, yet she would not have him. She, the most beautiful of all created things saw only ugliness in his dark face. Thus it was that she was taken and made to kneel to death's scourge. This scene may be seen depicted in the paintings of the villa of the mysteries of Pompeii. The pain of this chastisement opened her eyes to the truth and she knew the hidden wisdom. She perceived the veil that covered the radiance of lucifer, and seeing him to be that which she sought, they made love and were one."

"Diana was the first created before all creation. In her were all things, out of her first darkness she divided herself into darkness and light. Lucifer, her brother and son, was the light; when Diana saw that light was beautify, the light was her other self, her brother lucifer, she yearned for it with exceeding great desire, wishing to receive the light again into her darkness, to swallow it up in rapture, in delight. She trembled with desire. This desire was the dawn, but lucifer the light fled from her and would not yield to her wishes."

"In ancient times, our lord of the horned one was --as he is-- the consoler, the comforter. But men know him as the dread lord of the shadows--lonely, stern, and just. But our lady, who had never loved lucifer, the horned one, upon the earth and beneath the earth, would solve all mysteries, even the mystery of death."

I dont know what else to say, the wiccan writers have said all that needs to be said.... Wicca is who Christians believe to be the Devil, Satan, Lucifer, the monster of old.

As a student of demonology you learn many interesting things. i believe that all religions are interconnected. you can find traits of Christianity in Pagan Religions, they are shadows of the Christian world that was later to come. this is why Lucifer appears to be the same as Samual (the angel in the OT that was cast from heaven). wicca is a clear spin off of satanism, though it is not as Dark as Satanism. think of wicca as the protestant of the Pagan world, wiccans are only considered Pagans by Wiccans. no serious student of occult gives them a second thought, i know quite a bit about the occult world. I have a theory which i intend to develop into a book oneday which States that the ancient 'gods' fall into three classes, angels, Fallen angels, men. men believed they could become gods (one example egypt) because fallen angels promised them that if they served them that they would be raised up at death. some angels were known as gods not to glorify themselves but god sent them as a beacon of light, so that men could get a taste of what was to come. some gods are clearly made up, i think this is a later development often times a mixing of gods. i also believe that when the fallen angels came to earth that they were divided but the closer time draws to an end the more united they become, all evidence i can find points to a unification of the demonic world. they come together under "Chief" demons, either though temporary truces or one demon prince conquers another. these truces are more common now as they know time is drawing near and although they have a strugle for power between them "the enemy of my enemy is my Friend", they may be emenies but they hate God more.

Charles Leland was NOT Wiccan. He studied Italian (Strega) Witchcraft and learned of The Gospel of the Witches from an Italian witch. Witchcraft and Wicca are not the same thing, and Leland's writings have had a relatively small effect on what Wicca is today.

The horned God of Wicca is a common theme in pre-Christian myths. Pan is a popular one, Cernunnos, and so on. The idea of the horned God was turned into a Satan-figure by early Christians seeking converts, and it made sense to take the name Lucifer which was the name of the principal God of light. I'd also like to address the apparent incest between Diana and Lucifer. You must understand that the life of a woman is divided into three stages to understand, Maiden, Mother, and Crone. Each is a different entity, but all the same woman. When Diana gave birth to Lucifer, she was the Mother; when they mated, she was a Maiden; and the dark cloak of death, the Crone.

Pyranima, I don't mean any offense but your knowlege on witchcraft and Wicca in particular seems incomplete. I strongly suggest Dr. Hutton's [u]Triumph of the Moon[/u] for an indepth history of Wicca and the years effecting it.

So what exactly are wiccans besides pagans? Are you theists? Do you worship the wind and trees and stuff? (Somebody told me something that as a wiccan, they didn't believe in harming nature because it had a spirit or something, is that accurate?)

Also, why do you believe in a type of spirituality is that relatively new to the world (by religion's standards anyway)?
What happens when you die? Do you believe in some process of enlightenment? Are you just absorbed into the big primordial bucket of existant spiritness?
What happens to non-wiccans?

(ex wiccian speaking here)
Lucifer was sent to hell because he said "i will not serve"

wiccians say "i will not serve" because they use magik to do their own will, and not that of the Lords.

they may say they dont worship satan, but if you do not worship the Lord, and instead you call on Spirits to help you with taro cards, and look to the stars for your answers, and cast a circle to protect you for your "work" you are inviting the devil to send his cronies to be you assistants with open arms.

simplemama, perhaps you're right, but I think there's a difference between ignorantly believing that you don't worship Satan by reading stars and tarot cards and spells and whatnot, and actually worshiping Satan.
I mean, you may be doing it without honestly knowing it, which I think is the case for the majority of occultists: They honestly don't believe they're involved with the Devil, even if they are. I think taht difference needs to be distinguished.

KnightofChrist

Aradia is one of the foundational texts of Wicca, that is a fact. Alex Sanders was wiccan, and he says we christians know Wicca "as the devil."

Wicca is a deriviation of wicce, meaning "Wise ones", not a god...and I've almost never seen Aradia cited in any reputable books on Wicca, only on Strega witch traditions.

DAF:
[quote]So what exactly are wiccans besides pagans?[/quote]
Think of it like a really big tree called "Paganism"--there are different branches for Asatru, Druids, etc. and Wicca has it's own big branch with twigs on it as well, showing the different traditions, such as Gardnerian (the original), Alexandrian, Dianic, etc. Most Wiccans (NOT ALL) are witches as well, meaning they practice witchcraft. There's a common misconception that Wicca and Witchcraft is the same, but it's not. Wicca is a religion that embraces witchcraft and uses it.

[quote]Are you theists?[/quote]
Oooh, this is a hard one...Wicca has become such a personalized religion that there are countless answers, though for the most part yes. There is a small population of atheist Wiccans as well though. For the most part, Wiccans are duo-pan-panen-polytheists, give or take a prefix. :lol: Most believe in the idea of the Goddess and God at the very least, as well as an idea of the ultimate Spirit, kind of like a Hindu Brahma.

[quote]Do you worship the wind and trees and stuff? (Somebody told me something that as a wiccan, they didn't believe in harming nature because it had a spirit or something, is that accurate?)[/quote]
Yeah, pretty accurate. Nature and all things in it is believed to be a physical representation of Spirit (God and Goddess together) and ought to be treated as such. Same goes for other people and ourselves, since we are a part of nature as well. Wiccans must abide by the Rede, "An it harm none, do as ye will." Obviously it's impossible to harm nothing EVER, so we try to harm as little as possible and only when necessary.

[quote]Also, why do you believe in a type of spirituality is that relatively new to the world (by religion's standards anyway)?[/quote]
Well, we've all got to start somewhere, right? One reason Wicca came around recently is because Britain repealed its Witchcraft laws in 1952. And since the male-dominated Christian faith has been in power for so long, the female-positive Goddess of Wicca is often welcomed by feminists.

[quote]What happens when you die?[/quote]
Most believe we go to the Summerland (sappy name, I know) to rest our spirits and prepare for our next incarnation, there are, obviously, variations on this depending on who you ask.

[quote]Do you believe in some process of enlightenment?[/quote]
Yeah. We call it "living." :) In each incarnation our spirits learn more and more. Some believe that once a soul has learned all there is to know, they no longer reincarnate and become angels, guiding spirits, elemental forms, etc.

[quote]Are you just absorbed into the big primordial bucket of existant spiritness?[/quote]
We already are an inextricable part of Spirit. Just a matter of where.

[quote]What happens to non-wiccans?[/quote]
Same thing as happens to Wiccans since we all go through the same trials at some point. (Unless you ask the Gardnerians, they think they're the only ones allowed in the Summerland ;).)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Lahecil

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024674' date='Jul 14 2006, 02:49 PM']
Wicca is a deriviation of wicce, meaning "Wise ones", not a god...and I've almost never seen Aradia cited in any reputable books on Wicca, only on Strega witch traditions.
[/quote]

I also heard it said that Wicca means "the craft", and other many other things which I dont remember... Anyhoos.. so you have almost never seen, so you have seen it cited reputable wicca books... I seen many quotes and the whole book of Aradia on wiccan websites, and here is my source of Aradia being one of the foundational text of Wicca, from a wiccan website...

[quote]
Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches is an 1899 book by Charles Godfrey Leland. [color="#FF0000"]It is one of the foundational texts of Wicca[/color] and Wicca-based Neo-Pagan Paths.

The book is an attempt to portray the theology, doctrines, beliefs and rituals of an underground religious witchcraft tradition in Tuscany that had survived until Leland's claimed discovery of its existence in the 1890s. The veracity of this claim has been disputed by scholars.

A critical edition of the book was released in 1999, the book's hundred-year anniversary, edited by Mario Pazzaglini.
[/quote]

But again Alex Sanders was wiccan he says wicca or the horned one whatever is what Christians think is the devil.

[url="http://www.wiccanweb.ca/wiki/index.php/Aradia,_or_the_Gospel_of_the_Witches"]http://www.wiccanweb.ca/wiki/index.php/Ara..._of_the_Witches[/url]

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024674' date='Jul 14 2006, 02:49 PM'].... And since the male-dominated Christian faith has been in power for so long, the female-positive Goddess of Wicca is often welcomed by feminists. .....[/quote]

Lahecil,
I will bet you would really enjoy learning about all the props the Catholic Church gives to the Blessed Virgin Mary. She has titles such as, "Mother of God, Co-Redemtrix, The Immaculate Conception, The New Eve, Mediatrix of all Graces." She is not a deity or godess, but was selected by God for a place above all other humans. At the end of her life, God chose to Assume her body up into heaven where she reigns as 'queen of heaven.' (see Rev 12 for a description) Another teaching is the God made woman as the pinnacle of his creation.

Pope John Paul II had some great things to say about women in the church. Also, the femeninity in the Trinity can be considered 'cutting edge' theology (Scott Hahn).

Finally, you have to check out the "Theology of the Body," where we study the dignity, power and depth God has given us in our reproductive abilities, especially woman.

If you PM me your address, not in open phorum, I would love to send you some videos, cd's and books, depending on which is your favorite medium.

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024674' date='Jul 14 2006, 02:49 PM'].... And since the male-dominated Christian faith has been in power for so long, the female-positive Goddess of Wicca is often welcomed by feminists. .....[/quote]

From Mrs. jswranch:
Keep in mind that the leadership roles of men in the church have not been based on any notion that men are better or superior to women. Anyone that supposes such a notion is sadly misguided. Women are held in great honor and esteem for their God given gifts and attributes, just as men are. The reality is that men and women are DIFFERENT,though both created in the image of God. They were created as such to be complimentary to one another, which is a very beautiful thing. As a sidenote, there are many women involved in ministry and the like in the Catholic church. Personally, I have felt more honored and appreciated for my femininity in the church than I ever did as a feminist.

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024270' date='Jul 14 2006, 08:35 AM']
Charles Leland was NOT Wiccan. He studied Italian (Strega) Witchcraft and learned of The Gospel of the Witches from an Italian witch. Witchcraft and Wicca are not the same thing, and Leland's writings have had a relatively small effect on what Wicca is today.

The horned God of Wicca is a common theme in pre-Christian myths. Pan is a popular one, Cernunnos, and so on. The idea of the horned God was turned into a Satan-figure by early Christians seeking converts, and it made sense to take the name Lucifer which was the name of the principal God of light. I'd also like to address the apparent incest between Diana and Lucifer. You must understand that the life of a woman is divided into three stages to understand, Maiden, Mother, and Crone. Each is a different entity, but all the same woman. When Diana gave birth to Lucifer, she was the Mother; when they mated, she was a Maiden; and the dark cloak of death, the Crone.

Pyranima, I don't mean any offense but your knowlege on witchcraft and Wicca in particular seems incomplete. I strongly suggest Dr. Hutton's [u]Triumph of the Moon[/u] for an indepth history of Wicca and the years effecting it.
[/quote]i know quite a bit about wicca, however the question is which brand there is not one brand. wicca draws strongly on pagan sources, however most surving pagan are held intact by Satanist. crowley brought back the druid religion. yes the horned god is a common god of preChristian times, as for Diana this is one of the major problems i have with wicca, they twist who she really is and make water down myths about her. but Diana is not the only pagan goddess some wicca do not recognize her. there is no uniform wicca. i do not know all there is to know about wicca because that would be like knowing all there is to know about protestantism there are just too many versions. wicca does have a strong satanic influence not just a strong pagan one. it is Satanism and Paganism without the blood rites and without many of the nasty things they do.

Jswranch, thank you for your offer, I'll pm you my email address. :) Also, I realize that women have more respect in a Catholic Church than they do in protestant churches. This is one of the many reasons I really do admire the Catholic religion.

Pyranima, all modern pagan faiths are watered down. This is made very evident if you go to a pagan festival (even Beltane) and notice that there are no longer any orgies. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it is how things are. As for Satanism and Wicca being linked...the only link they share is that they are not Christian. Wiccans (most at least) believe in some divine force, whereas the Church of Satan takes no stand on God/s/dess/desses, and rather uses Satan as a metaphor for earthly pleasures that go against Biblical teachings. Both are sex-positive, but you have to realize that there is also a huge difference here as well. Wicca embraces sex as honoring the union of the God and Goddess and continuing creation. Satanists do it 'cause it's fun. There's a score of other things as well...they are VERY different. And aside from that, Wicca came around first. :)

[quote]Pyranima, all modern pagan faiths are watered down. This is made very evident if you go to a pagan festival (even Beltane) and notice that there are no longer any orgies.[/quote]

Yeah,t here was a festival here about a year ago, and the people in the interviews could only talk about how fun it is to dress up and meet other people who arne't Christians. They said nothing of their beliefs, other than that they're sick of christians bashing them. der...okay.

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024991' date='Jul 15 2006, 09:23 AM']
Jswranch, thank you for your offer, I'll pm you my email address. :) Also, I realize that women have more respect in a Catholic Church than they do in protestant churches. This is one of the many reasons I really do admire the Catholic religion.

Pyranima, all modern pagan faiths are watered down. This is made very evident if you go to a pagan festival (even Beltane) and notice that there are no longer any orgies. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it is how things are. As for Satanism and Wicca being linked...the only link they share is that they are not Christian. Wiccans (most at least) believe in some divine force, whereas the Church of Satan takes no stand on God/s/dess/desses, and rather uses Satan as a metaphor for earthly pleasures that go against Biblical teachings. Both are sex-positive, but you have to realize that there is also a huge difference here as well. Wicca embraces sex as honoring the union of the God and Goddess and continuing creation. Satanists do it 'cause it's fun. There's a score of other things as well...they are VERY different. And aside from that, Wicca came around first. :)
[/quote]I do assure you Orgies have not stopped in all Pagan Circles neither has animal and human sacraifice though it is much more rare now, Neo-Pagans do not practice animal or human sacrafice. I am inclined with many others to dismiss "Neo-Paganism" it holds very little substance, and very little like Paganism. Wicca is more watered down. we need to distinguish between forms of Satanism, LaVey Satanism is more deist or atheistic than anything else, they despise blood sacrafice and believe that the most powerful forms of magic come from sexual energy. spells often end with a masturbation ritual. Crowley satanism or satanisms which base their magic on Crowleys belief are also prone to orgies though they see the greatest magic in the sheding of blood. Pagans are also inclined to do Animal sacrafice Human sacrafice is rare and even in ancient days was rare except among certian places and times. anyone who lives in the south can find a Vondun (voodoo) priest or priestess who pracites animal sacrafice. i am repelled by those who claim practice the tradition and do not. healers who do not pracitice sacrafices are sages but not Pagans in the strict form they practice homeopothy and though they may chant a few words or say a "spell" the "magic" is in the herbs. those pagan cults who practice animal sacrafice can be found with enough effort (i have never been witness to a human sacrafice however i have heard of pagan cults that do them and believe very much they are still done). the three driving forces of magic are life, death, and sex. Those who do not pracitice Anamal sacrafices,and Sexual magic, are Neo-Pagans and they do not practice magic but like to think they do, they get there feet wet just enough to call themself occult.

Studing religion is more than just reading books its about being there and watching how they act how they preform there rituals and knowing what each thing in the ritual means. all the wicca i have met and most "pagans"(neo-pagans) are role playing. i will say this though, i have met some who call themselves wicca but are really pagans. they do not pracitice animal sacrafice though they do pracitice in some sexual magic (masturbation), these are Novice Pagans though and Rituals such as Orgies and Animal sacrafice are not normally preformed by Noviecs and they are often times not allowed to attend these rituals either until they are "worthy".

Wicca is a new age religion, the major problem with wicca is that you dont need anyone to teach you. you can start picking up books and then you can teach yourself, most of these "How too books" are books to make money with no real substance. those who take the art of magic seriously are in apprenticeship. i liken wicca to the protestantism of the pagan world and neopaganism is akin to anglicanism(close but not quite).

Lahecil i do not mean to offend in anyway, but i have seen the darker side of the occult and i also know what the opinion of many true occultists are. Wicca has taken out most of the truly pagan practices and is seen by many occultists as a bad relic from the 1960's. When examined Wicca is coated with tree hugging hippi smell, but it also has its satanic roots, wicca comes from the reserected Paganism of Crowley who was not outright a satanist (He never called himself Satanist) but it is evident from his pracitice of the black Mass.

[quote name='DAF' post='1025016' date='Jul 15 2006, 10:10 AM']
Yeah,t here was a festival here about a year ago, and the people in the interviews could only talk about how fun it is to dress up and meet other people who arne't Christians. They said nothing of their beliefs, other than that they're sick of christians bashing them. der...okay.
[/quote]
i am not bashing anybody though i do know some that do. but as i was pointing out above most who say they pracitice the occult are more into the idea of it and would be scared if they knew something they did actually worked. i remeber the first thing i did that worked. and let me tell you, very scary.