An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wicca & Satan

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1024991' date='Jul 15 2006, 09:23 AM']
There's a score of other things as well [between wica and satanism]...they are VERY different. And aside from that, Wicca came around first. :)
[/quote]
She is correct in her history. Satanism was started in rebellion to the inconsistent living of bible bashers. I read the intro to the Satanism catechism years ago. I take evil and demons seriously, but find modern Satanism to be more of a childish type of rebellion in, 'How can I spite societal rules and piss off my parents?'

again we need to differ between groups the black mass has be preformed for hundreds of years. LaVey satanism when practiced by young teens especially males is often as you describe it a rebellion against bible thumpers, however the more experienced Satanist is no joke they are often highly intellegent and knowledgable. there are a few directions Satanic preists take 1 is to direct those under their care into more Chaos, to control them through reverse psycology. the second common form is to develop the pupil into a promising leader in the community. depending on the persons personality depends on how the satanic priest grooms them.

Assuming we're talking about Wicca as Gardner first described it, it came up in 1954. LaVey's Satanic Bible was published in 1969. Of course, if you count Crowley as a Satanist (I don't) then yeah, I guess his form of Satanism came around first, considering he died in 1947. :lol:

I have to say, I think that the performance of the Black Mass is one of the stupidest ideas ever. And I haven't seen Crowley quoted anywhere saying he performed it.

Also, I realize that studying other religions isn't just reading books, that's only about a fourth of it. There's also prayer/meditation, thought, and experimentation (or at the very least, watching). Books do however give a firm base to start thinking, meditating, and experimenting with.

In regards to animal and human sacrifice, it's rarely practiced today. And if it is, it's done in private and with a huge amount of secrecy, and no offense meant, but I would imagine it would take years to gain status enough to participate. It sounds a lot like a bunch of old ideas left over from the SRA theory in the 80's. Irregardless, there's good reason as to WHY it's done--blood is essential to life, and therefore contains great energy that can further any magickal working. And that's why pagans in the ol' days did it. Now there's simply no need for it, nor does anyone want to. I mean, pagans today are given enough shtick for not being Christian, imagine if they killed chickens like practicers of Voodoo! And there's always the icky clean-up too. Not to mention, in Wicca at least, there's the "harm none" bit to follow, making it impossible anyway.

Now, modern paganism is much watered down...I admit this. There's no need to run around naked in the woods, and no one really wants to be the cop called up because of that. That doesn't make it Satanic, just NOT Christian. (Unless you feel that if you are not a Christian you are a Satanist.) But all religions get watered down in this day and age...just look at Catholicism. If a Pope were to call for a religious war today, there would be countless political debates and likely little or no action would be taken. It's just how things happen.