An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interfaith marriage

SJP

Anastasia13

Interfaith marriages I think could work between Christians as long as there is a lot of overlap in beliefs. It's not good to be unequally yoked, hence interfaith marriage with people of different religions like with a Hindu or Budhist would not be wise.

It is in almost every case a sin for a Catholic to marry to a non-Catholic or someone who they arent 99.99% sure is about to become Catholic.

Its the most rediculous thing.

St. Paul did say that a believing spouse could save an unbelieving spouse. So I don't keep my eyes completely shut to interfaith marriage

Though my bf and I are still young and not planning on marriage anytime soon, he already knows and understands my responsibility to marry and raise kids in the Catholic Church. And at least he is Protestant and baptized so that wouldn't be too much of a hindrance should we ever decide to get married (which wouldn't be for awhile, we're only 17)

[quote name='Tarcisius' post='1035662' date='Aug 1 2006, 02:42 PM']
It is in almost every case a sin for a Catholic to marry to a non-Catholic or someone who they arent 99.99% sure is about to become Catholic.

Its the most rediculous thing.
[/quote]
um. It's 'ridiculous'.

Is it a Mortal or a Venial sin?
What's the cost in purgatory years?
It may be worth it.

I too have had experience with this issue, and I concur that it is very difficult.

The main issue for me was kids and how to raise them. I was of the opinion that they would be our kids and as their parents, we shouldn't be forced to impose a worldview on them. Even if I decided to raise them Catholic, that should be a decision the parents make and not one that is made for them.

VeniteAdoremus

There used to be a saying in my country, "Twee geloven op een kussen, daar slaapt de duivel tussen" (two faiths on a single pillow has the devil sleeping in between), referring to the difficulties with mixed-faith marriages. However, a priest-friend of mine changed that into "Twee geloven op een kussen, daar is de H. Geest aan 't klussen!" (two faiths on a single pillow is where the Holy Spirit is working). And I believe in the latter.

I can see two problems, though:

1. Spouses are supposed to lead each other to Christ. If you have a non-Christian spouse, or one with a religion you do not think contains the (entire) Truth, how are they supposed to do that? (I know that, for example, the benevolence of strangers, Christian or not, can show you the image of Christ and be an inspiration to turn to Him, but I'd expect something more from a spouse, like studying and discussing things of the Faith together.)

2. I know I could never raise my children non-Catholic (although I was brought up to 'pick for myself' and I must say it turned out fine :) ), because I feel it would be equivalent to keeping them from the truth, keeping them from salvation, and keeping them from happiness. Period. If I have a husband who strongly believes in a different faith, I would expect him to feel the same about his religion. That would mean that raising my fictional children automatically implies making my fictional husband some degrees of miserable in that respect. I wouldn't like that.

But as far as I know it's not a sin at all to marry a non-Catholic. It'd be a pity to miss out on the Sacrament if you marry a non-baptised person, though.

Edit: typo 1 of a lot corrected :)

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

For me personally, I know that I would only marry a devout practising Catholic - preferably traditional as well! (And yes, guys like this do exist! I've just found one ;) )

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='memtherose' post='1036767' date='Aug 3 2006, 11:33 AM']
For me personally, I know that I would only marry a devout practising Catholic - preferably traditional as well! (And yes, guys like this do exist! I've just found one ;) )
[/quote]

I would prefer that, too. Marriage is hard enough by itself! I know enough of those guys - too bad they're all seminarians :lol:

[quote name='avemaria40' post='1035670' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:58 PM']
St. Paul did say that a believing spouse could save an unbelieving spouse. So I don't keep my eyes completely shut to interfaith marriage
[/quote]

I think that was in the context of where you had two non-believers and one spouse became a believer and the other remained an unbeliever, and that as long as the unbelieving spouse has no problem with the conversion, the believing spouse should stay with the unbeliever and that he/she could be a influence (and maybe convert them). If the unbeliever is not OK with it and wants to divorce as a result of it, then this is what is referred to as a "Pauline Privilege" divorce. See 1 Corinthians 7.

But there is a part of 2 Corinthians 6 that states we should not be "unequally yoked to an unbeliever", which I think is a reference to an unmarried believer seeking an unbeliever as a spouse.

One refers to a marriage that has already taken place, the other does not.

MissScripture

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1036769' date='Aug 3 2006, 04:46 AM']
I would prefer that, too. Marriage is hard enough by itself! I know enough of those guys - too bad they're all seminarians :lol:
[/quote]
Exactly! :lol_roll: Those darn seminaries! :lol:

The Bible teaches that one is not to be unequally yoked, so why isnt a church following that.

I do believe that saved Christians should only marry other born again Christians. If one is married and you become saved later there are Biblical rules covering that.

I am in an "interfaith" marriage but I married before I became a Christian. [Husband grew up Lutheran while I am a born again Christian now] My husband is going to church with me and is becoming very open to the gospel, so I am praying.