An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chastity Belts

pyranima

did i get your attention? alright so someone i offer spiritual direction too has come to me with an intersting question. to be honest i have thought of it myself, so here is the question. if your son came to you and asked for a chastity belt? after you picked yourself up off the floor form the total shock what would you do? get him one? or tell him hes crazy?

Tell him he's crazy or stupid. A 'Chastity Belt' is used to prevent someone from forcing sexual intercourse on the wearer. How that would work on a male's genitals is beyond my imagination and pretty creepy. Now that I've thought about it a little more, it's obvious that my son has a psychological problem and needs professional help.

Creepy and disturbing.

Tell him purity is a matter of the will. He can still sin against purity even if his arms and hands were tied behind his back; all it takes is one thought. Master his will, and he won't need a chastity belt.

Edited by Era Might

Guest JeffCR07

fasting and prayer is more powerful for the protection of purity than any metal. If he needs a physical, material object that will remind to keep himself pure, I would suggest either sticking a rock in his shoe (stepping on it will make him remember), wearing a scapular, etc. As Era Might said, chastity is a matter of the will. Just because one doesn't actually commit a physically impure act doesn't mean that a person is chaste.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

[quote name='Era Might' post='1030437' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:58 AM']
Master his will,[/quote]
[quote date='Jul 25 2006, 07:57 AM']
sticking a rock in his shoe[/quote]Yep. That's the ticket. I'll just tell him that he doesn't want chastity enough. A good limp will cure them every time. If this were true, don't you think the nuns would have had all the 7th and 8th grade boys limping years ago? :P:

But how would a male chastity belt work? Who is he protecting himself from? If male chastity belts are real, shouldn't Churches make priests and single preachers wear them?

chasitity belts can stop one from manipulating ones self as well as they can keep someone out. wow there is really some hostility toward chastity belts. i think some of you just have outright hostility and others havent thought the whole thing through, like lets say hes 14 and he has been messing with himself for a year, he is really into a habit and really distressed. you guys wouldnt be willing to get him one? i think that is a big problem with what is going on in the church today everyone wants everything on the inside. corperal mortification is frowned on, if he realizes he has an addiction and wants to stop what is the problem with getting him a chastity belt?

[mod]Please keep from linking to this site. - inDIZZLE[/mod]

male chastity belts are real they do exist and from what i found they do work. i think it would be a great idea for a devout kid to preserve his purity that way

Edited by inDEED

If he can't stop his mind from telling his body to commit an impure act, then a chastity belt is useless anyway. And if he can get his mind to say no to his body, then a chastity belt is irrelevant.

If he really wants to help keep his purity, tell him to get involved with something like sports or a charity. A "chastity belt" (and no, I have no idea how one works, and don't particularly want to know either) is just useless and a constant reminder of temptation. The point is not to suppress your temptations and constantly obsess over them, but to overcome them in a constructive way, whether through prayer or something more practical like sports.

Edited by Era Might

finally someone with ideas stranger than mine :cool:

just for the sake of argument, one might say: yes he must master his will, but if he can be aided by a device to master his body first that is a good step and then he could break the chemical addiction caused by masturbation aiding him to stop lustful thoughts and desires.

anyway, I don't advocate this idea at all... just for the sake of argument that's something to consider.

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1030472' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:57 AM']
fasting and prayer is more powerful for the protection of purity than any metal. If he needs a physical, material object that will remind to keep himself pure, I would suggest either sticking a rock in his shoe (stepping on it will make him remember), wearing a scapular, etc. As Era Might said, chastity is a matter of the will. Just because one doesn't actually commit a physically impure act doesn't mean that a person is chaste.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff
[/quote]
Jeff no offense but i think that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. people are saying the kid is mental and so on. anyone who has ever stuggled with Chastity knows that its not just a matter of will but ability. when your that young you fall easy go into the Alien page and check out the resistance thread you will see what i mean. i agree with your statement that just because someone doesnt commit a physical impure act they are not being impure. however having a chastity belt does benifits. 1 it discourages the act. compare it to a drug user and ask a teenager they will tell you it can be that addictive, but consider a drug user.

if they go into a detox center there are no drugs, are they mental? no are they mentally mortifiying themself? yes they are, but they are able to do this because the drugs are not around, it is used to prevent the use of drugs. in the same way it helps in saying "i really want to do this but im glad i cant", it prevents oppertunity for sin. if i had kids i think i would offer then chastity belts at age 12. i dont see anything wrong with a kid wanting to wear chastity belt.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1030597' date='Jul 25 2006, 02:17 PM']
finally someone with ideas stranger than mine :cool:

just for the sake of argument, one might say: yes he must master his will, but if he can be aided by a device to master his body first that is a good step and then he could break the chemical addiction caused by masturbation aiding him to stop lustful thoughts and desires.

anyway, I don't advocate this idea at all... just for the sake of argument that's something to consider.
[/quote]
if the boy comes to you i dont see anything wrong with letting him wear it.

:blink: :o :shock: :shock: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
When I first saw this thread, I thought it somebody's idea of a weird joke!
(And I'm still kinda hoping this is just a joke. :unsure: )
This is without a doubt one of the most absurd and bizarro threads I have ever seen in my 2+ years on Phatmass. (It ranks right up there with last year's "penis pill" thread!)

Did some kid really ask his dad for such an ungodly device, or is this some wierd hypothetical situation?

I'd read that "chastity belts" were an anti-Catholic "urban legend" concerning the supposed cruelty and repressiveness of the "dark ages." Supposedly, this was a kind of iron underwear with which medeival knights would gird their fair ladies while they were away on crusades and such, to keep other men from fooling around with them. The chastity belt was kept locked up, and could only be unlocked by a key kept by the lady's husband.
This raises the obvious issue of how our lady fair was to relieve herself during the months while her gallant knight was off on his knight errantry!
Supposed medieval chastity belts have been found to be nineteenth-century hoaxes.

Thankfully, I had never heard of male "chastity belts" before stumbling across this thread. When researching this topic, all I could find was that these were apparently used as fetish items by the s&m crowd. (Could this be why the original link was deleted?? :detective: )

While I don't know (nor want to know) all the specifics of this dubious contraption, all I can say is that for a 14-year-old boy to be constantly wearing some device which would restrict his genitals and prevent naturally occuring physical processes would be extremely unhealthy physically and mentally! It could even permanently damage his normal reproductive development! :pinch:
(Not to mention the reaction such a gadget would create in the locker room! :rolleyes: )

Any boy who would desires such masochistic device desperately needs to see a shrink, and any parent who would get him one should be hauled away for child abuse!

If any boy asks his dad for such an item, the first thing he should do is restrict that kid's internet access! (If he's learning about "chastity belts," who knows what other perverted stuff he's looking at on there!)

Geez! Just when I thought I'd seen it all on phatmass! :ohno:

it is true that they are used for fetish use, people are weird what can i say? however there are practicle chastity belts that are in use. i think if it is healthy and safe and some kid wants to wear it i dont see why not. but WOW this thread had a much more negative reaction than i originally thought. wow. hypothetically if the divice did not cause harm and was safe would you still have a bad reaction to the divice? that is for practicle purposes not the ohter one.

[quote name='pyranima' post='1030711' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:14 PM']
it is true that they are used for fetish use, people are weird what can i say? however there are practicle chastity belts that are in use. i think if it is healthy and safe and some kid wants to wear it i dont see why not. but WOW this thread had a much more negative reaction than i originally thought. wow. hypothetically if the divice did not cause harm and was safe would you still have a bad reaction to the divice? that is for practicle purposes not the ohter one.
[/quote]
I honestly don't see any way such a device could be safe and healthy if used for any kind of prolonged period. Ask any reputable doctor about this.

And honestly, do you really know anyone who uses them for "practical purposes"?

For a normal, healthy young male, I see no good purpose for such a device, period.
Erections and ejaculations (as in nocturnal emissions) are a normal part of healthy male development. And as long as the kid is making an effort not to willfully indulge them, there should be no moral problem.

There are many other, better ways of building self-discipline and overcoming a habit of masturbation, without resorting to applying unnatural and harmful devices to the body. Discipline of the mind and will is far better.

And it seems such a device would not be mentally healthy either, as it would reflect or create undue obsession, which does not in the long run lead to virtue.

Edited by Socrates

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Sexual sin definately cannot be controled by gimmicks. They just don't work.

Edited by thedude