homeschoolmom Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 [url="http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1228653,00.html"]http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1228653,00.html[/url] Mayfair? Put It On The Card Updated: 17:06, Monday July 24, 2006 Monopoly board game players can now pay for properties with debit cards. Game makers Parker have phased out the standard multi-coloured cash in a new version. Players will instead use a Visa mock debit card to keep track of how much they win or lose. It is inserted into an electronic machine where the banker taps in cardholders' earnings and payments. Parker said replacing of cash with plastic showed the game was moving with the times. Mayfair - the most expensive property on the board. Spokesman Chris Weatherhead said: "The new electronic Monopoly reflects the changing nature of society and the advancement of technology." The new version follows a YouGov survey of 2,056 adults which showed 70% used cash less often than they did a decade ago. It is part of an international deal between Parker and finance giant Visa, which designed the mock debit card and its electronic machine.
Fides_et_Ratio Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 that was the most exciting part of monopoly... spreading out all that fake cash...
MissScripture Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 I know! I always used to convert it to the lowest possible bills so that I could feel like I had more...although there was nothing quite like having a 500... Are they also changing the prices to actually reflect real prices? Because I don't think $100 for a rail road is very realistic...
isilzha Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 I think it could be fun. I always had a hard time from keeping all my money from falling off the table.
MissScripture Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 My sister and I also would hide our money, so no one knew exactly how much we had...that won't work anymore...
DAF Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 Monopoly money is legendary. It's eternal. Parker Bros. can never kill it! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jswranch Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 Now how am I going to cheat? Being banker used to be an easy win!
Guest Rick777 Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 As much as I liked the money I'm kind of looking forward to this new way.
heavenseeker Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 [quote name='Rick777' post='1030861' date='Jul 25 2006, 10:16 PM'] As much as I liked the money I'm kind of looking forward to this new way. [/quote] i guess it will have its plus side of being a lot faster
indescribable Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 monopoly draaaags on forever. i know what you mean. i think it might be fun for a little bit, but they'll still have the real fake money around.
homeschoolmom Posted July 26, 2006 Author Posted July 26, 2006 But what will we say when travelling abroad? "I spent all my money so fast because it looked just like Monop... Oh, wait never mind."
Tony Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 I think what will happen is people will complain, sales will go down, then they will bring back the paper Dinero.
prose Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 [quote name='isilzha' post='1030816' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:28 PM'] I think it could be fun. I always had a hard time from keeping all my money from falling off the table. [/quote] Me too! I think it is a great idea. Much less messy. As for the paper money, I think Monopoly will eventually either return it to the game, or will make 2 sets of game which you can choose either or (like Taboo did when it went electronic). The paper money (the cheap version) or the ELECTRONIC (trumpets please) version for like 20 extra bucks.
homeschoolmom Posted July 26, 2006 Author Posted July 26, 2006 Not like they don't have a bazillion versions already anyway.
Tindomiel Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 I'd almost be inclined to think this was a practical joke, it seems so absurd. I mean, the paper money is like the essence of the game.
isilzha Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 [quote name='Tony' post='1031060' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:45 AM'] I think what will happen is people will complain, sales will go down, then they will bring back the paper Dinero. [/quote] I hope they will keep both a paper money version of the game, and this new one. It's a great way to keep us buying different versions of the game.
journeyman Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 It is interesting that a game developed during the Depression (when cash was king) would bring the concept of credit back into game play Interesting history of the game: [url="http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/pl/page.history/dn/default.cfm"]http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/pl/page.his.../dn/default.cfm[/url] [url="http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa121997.htm"]http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa121997.htm[/url] [url="http://adena.com/adena/mo/"]http://adena.com/adena/mo/[/url] [url="http://tt.tf/gamehist/mon-index.html"]http://tt.tf/gamehist/mon-index.html[/url]
isilzha Posted July 26, 2006 Posted July 26, 2006 [quote]The longest game in a bathtub lasted 99 hours! [/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now