An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics living like Atheists

Akalyte

I have a hard time understanding this.. I know Catholics who go to church every sunday, but they refuse to let the Church and Church teachings influence their lives.

They do however let politics influence their lives and they impose their politics upon their own faith! From what I understand this is a american tradition in many Catholic families. How in the world did we come to this?

This is the same kind of situation where we are told "no talking religion or politics". Why should they be Catholics or call themselves catholics at all if in actuality they are really living like atheists? How do you get through to these kind of people?

I was reading an account of the Crusades recently, about one of the laymen who were leading a battle. They were getting ready for a huge battle, the Pope had given his approval, save the faith, the whole nine yards. The night before the battle, the layman spent with his mistress. This the same man who was going out in the name of God to defend the Church.

Sinners abound in Christian history.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1031107' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:50 AM']
I was reading an account of the Crusades recently, about one of the laymen who were leading a battle. They were getting ready for a huge battle, the Pope had given his approval, save the faith, the whole nine yards. The night before the battle, the layman spent with his mistress. This the same man who was going out in the name of God to defend the Church.

Sinners abound in Christian history.
[/quote]

well yeah of course. I dont condemn sinners! I'm just wondering how they get to this way of thinking! Its quite confusing.

I dont understand how one can go to mass every sunday, yet act as if its just a hour of nothing. After I go to Mass, I leave thinking and believing that Christ is enthroned in my heart.

I try my best to live the rest of the week thinking and believing Christ is there, and I let that influence my life.

These people reject the notion and act like their politics are more important. I've tried to debate, but they shut me up with anger.

Edited by Akalyte

I don't think it's anything particularly unique to the United States. St. John of the Cross talked about how the people of his day had huge festivals for God where the devil received the most honor (through drunkeness and what not). I think it's the same crisis of holiness that plagues the laity in every generation. There is not the desire to be a Saint, and it shows. In America, it shows through American politics, but politics have always been a bad influence on the local Churches. Catholic laity in the past had no problem singing the "Te Deum" in one breath and calling for the mob beating of a Jew in the other. We need more St. John Vianney's to reform individual parishes.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1031119' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:59 AM']
I don't think it's anything particularly unique to the United States. St. John of the Cross talked about how the people of his day had huge festivals for God where the devil received the most honor (through drunkeness and what not). I think it's the same crisis of holiness that plagues the laity in every generation. There is not the desire to be a Saint, and it shows. In America, it shows through American politics, but politics have always been a bad influence on the local Churches. Catholic laity in the past had no problem singing the "Te Deum" in one breath and calling for the mob beating of a Jew in the other. We need more St. John Vianney's to reform individual parishes.
[/quote]

aint that the truth! Thanks for the Responses.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1031104' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:47 AM']
I have a hard time understanding this.. I know Catholics who go to church every sunday, but they refuse to let the Church and Church teachings influence their lives.

They do however let politics influence their lives and they impose their politics upon their own faith! From what I understand this is a american tradition in many Catholic families. How in the world did we come to this?

This is the same kind of situation where we are told "no talking religion or politics". Why should they be Catholics or call themselves catholics at all if in actuality they are really living like atheists? How do you get through to these kind of people?
[/quote]

This is especially pervasive in the NE and in Congress....
Sad thing too....methinks there might be more Catholics in Hell than Protestants.

Part of the imposition of politics on religion comes from the WASP heritage since the founding of the USA. Our forefathers were tired of the religious bickering in Europe, especially in England. They made sure to set up the Constitution to prevent this by abolishing a state/national religion. As such, the USA has gradually secularized (accelerating this trend to the extreme since the 1960's) to a point where government and hence the peeps think that politics should be used as a tool to influence religion. How many Catholics remember that it is their duty to do the reverse? We should be using our faith as a guide to infulence the political situation in the country....

BTW- there is NO SUCH THING AS "SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" in the Constitution...this was manufactured by liberal activist judges, aka Pawns of Satan.

How do you get through to them? Follow the example Paul sets: speak with them privately and re-catechise them on thier responsibilities. God does NOT teach us not to judge, but rather warns us to not be hypocrites and be guilty of the same offenses. Next - take it to the church or the priest, etc. If it fails - shun them until they repent. :idontknow: Or...you can skip to the fine print of step 4 and whack em over the head with a 2x4... :shock:

Seriously, if the one pointing out their faith shortcomings is an upstanding Catholic who they respect, the seeds will be planted in thier conscience...Let the Holy Spirit doe the rest...support 'em with prayer.

Yeah, it is a shame. You know Catholicism is, by numbers, the biggest religion in the world (followed by islam), but I don't think that's true. I think Catholicism is actually much smaller if we separated the Catholic Catholics from the Catholic on paper Catholics.

It seems to be a running trend to sacrifice your Christian heritage for patriotism. We've become Americans first and Catholics when it's convenient. It's a real shame.

I think that any religion one chooses should not only be followed, but lived. It's not just something you do on Sunday mornings (or on the full moons :lol:) but a lifestyle.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1031179' date='Jul 26 2006, 11:00 AM']
I think that any religion one chooses should not only be followed, but lived. It's not just something you do on Sunday mornings (or on the full moons :lol:) but a lifestyle.
[/quote]
I hear that. To go about it any other way makes no sense to me.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1031179' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:00 AM']
[/quote]

Aye - religion is supposed to be a way of LIFE (ie living it), not a label or a title....

Someone wise once said "Faith without works is dead.." Hmm..wonder who that was again? ;) ;)

'Works" can just be simply living your life according to Christ with the guidance of the Church...in EVERYTHING you do.

[quote name='DAF' post='1031172' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:44 AM']
It seems to be a running trend to sacrifice your Christian heritage for patriotism. We've become Americans first and Catholics when it's convenient. It's a real shame.
[/quote]
I don't think the primary problem in most cases is an excess of patriotism.
Patriotism (properly understood) is not incompatable with the Catholic religion, and is indeed considered a virtue.
Some may have a problem with false or exaggerated patriotism (putting one's country over one's faith - "America right or wrong"), but this was more prevalent 100 years ago than it is now.

The problem seems to be more a devotion to liberalism than to America per se. Polls have repeatedly shown that relgious people as a whole tend to be more patriotic than their secular counterparts. And the liberals who are insisting on voting pro-abortion, supporting "gay marriage", and the like, also are more likely to be those who think flag-burning is a wonderful form of free expression, or who tend to consider themselves "world-citizens" more than "Americans." They also for the most part have no problems with bashing President Bush, etc., so its a little hard to accuse them of blind devotion to the American leadership.
I realize there are exceptions both ways, but overall those liberals opposing "religious values" influencing politics don't tend to be any more patriotic than their conservative, religious brethren.

I'd say the problem is more liberalism than patriotism.

Justified Saint

An excess of patriotism is often called nationalism which according to some thinkers (like John Lukacs) is the single most dominating fundamentalism of the 20th century. And this would still seem to be the case since we live less in a "globalized" world than an "Americanized" one. On a practical level, globalism, Americanism, and liberalism might as well be synonyms.

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1031571' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:40 PM']
An excess of patriotism is often called nationalism which according to some thinkers (like John Lukacs) is the single most dominating fundamentalism of the 20th century. And this would still seem to be the case since we live less in a "globalized" world than an "Americanized" one. On a practical level, globalism, Americanism, and liberalism might as well be synonyms.
[/quote]
I wouldn't quite say globalism, Americanism and liberalism are synonymous. I guess it all depends on how these terms are defined.
My main point was that the American "Catholics" pushing things like pro-abortion politics and the like are more likely to be primarily liberal than primarily patriotic (or even "nationalistic") in their outlook. And generally speaking, religious pro-life conservatives tend to, on average, consider themselves more patriotic than their secular liberal brethren.

And when I was speaking of "globalism," I was talking about liberals who want America to be more under the power of the U.N. and other international bodies than to operate as a sovereign power.
Of course, the Bush administration seems to be pursuing a kind of Americanistic globalism, but that becomes another debate . . .

Of course, I think the whole Kennedy "not let my Faith influence my politics" attitude has played a strong part in bringing about this secularist attitude among Catholics.

Edited by Socrates

Justified Saint

[quote name='Socrates' post='1031591' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:14 PM']
I wouldn't quite say globalism, Americanism and liberalism are synonymous. I guess it all depends on how these terms are defined.
My main point was that the American "Catholics" pushing things like pro-abortion politics and the like are more likely to be primarily liberal than primarily patriotic (or even "nationalistic") in their outlook. And generally speaking, religious pro-life conservatives tend to, on average, consider themselves more patriotic than their secular liberal brethren.

And when I was speaking of "globalism," I was talking about liberals who want America to be more under the power of the U.N. and other international bodies than to operate as a sovereign power.
Of course, the Bush adminsitration seems to be pursuing a kind of Americanistic globalism, but that becomes another debate . . .

Of course, I think the whole Kennedy "not let my Faith influence my politics" attitude has played a strong part in bringing about this secularist attitude among Catholics.
[/quote]

That is a fair assessment, though I think DAF is accurate in the observation that we tend to think of ourselves first as Americans and only as Catholics secondly -- which I think we would both agree is not a genuine sentiment of patriotism (though I would call it nationalist). It would be a delusion (of a liberal?) to think they could divest themselves of their own nationalist tendencies and prejudices, even if they think they are free of them which is exactly why it is more appropriate to speak of the Americanization of the world instead of its globalization. For example, as Lukacs would point out, the U.N. is so thoroughly an American ideal and institution (after all it's headquarters are located in New York) that it is almost silly to speak of the U.N. as an international force vis-a-vis American sovereignty.

Of course, historically speaking nationalism and secularism are close relatives.