An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is your favorite Protestant Invention?

pyranima

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1039580' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:15 AM']
I like the Protestant invention of 'Accountability' that pushed the Catholic Church to try to follow it's own rules.[/quote]This is interesting. If you feel that protestant ministers are being accountable, you might want to ask yourself, "To whom are they being accountable, the Gospel message or the desires of the congregation?" My experience has led me to believe that protestant ministers often say what their congregations' "itching ears" want to hear. ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/2timothy/2timothy4.htm#v3"]2 Timothy 4:3[/url])

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1039580' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:15 AM']I like the Protestant invention of 'Community' and participation within the religion.[/quote]When a local protestant community splits in two because of the doctrinal differences between its pastors, how can one defend the idea that protestantism invented (or even improved upon) the idea of Christian community? I believe that protestantism has fostered small local groups to have a sense of community; but the idea breaks when trying to establish a larger group's sense of community.

The example above (i.e. one church splitting into two) was something that happened where I live. When my evangelical friend told me the story, he was pretty clear that this pattern of splitting was not unknown to protestant churches. Do you think that this is an inaccurate negative stereotype?
[quote name='Anomaly' post='1039580' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:15 AM']I like how this thread encougrages Christians to talk about what they have in common without just bringing up negative stereotypes.[/quote]I actually believe that there were a few compliments to protestants (e.g. music, pot-luck dinners, etc). If you believe that a stereotype is inaccurate, feel free to dispel it by educating us. For example, if my post about those who practice immersion-only baptism was wrong, then teach me why I am wrong.

Justified Saint

I think the theatrical style preaching isn't as common anymore since you often have powerpoint for sermons now.

[quote]My favorite Protestant invention is the many wonderful hymns and songs they have produced to glorify the name of our Lord.[/quote]

I detest Protestant hymns. They are so unlike chant (either Gregorian or Eastern), which bugs me, though I worship (not as in worship God, the BVM or saints, but like how one worships their spouse or father) the non-Chant Catholic hymns (oh, and hymns in the "Breaking Bread' hymnal whose lyrics weren't written more tan 50 years ago don't count as Catholic hymns), especially ones about God's Mother, God under the species of bread and wine and the Mystery of the Most Holy Trinity. Protestant hymns usually don't have sound doctrine, not to mention the fact that they are quite obsessive over Jesus. It's not even healthy. Go through a protestant hymnal, and you will find that in almost all of their songs, Jesus is mentioned at least once. You probably won't see the other two Persons mentioned in more than 5% of their hymns. I find that quite annoying.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1040752' date='Aug 10 2006, 02:49 AM']
I detest Protestant hymns. They are so unlike chant (either Gregorian or Eastern), which bugs me, though I worship (not as in worship God, the BVM or saints, but like how one worships their spouse or father) the non-Chant Catholic hymns (oh, and hymns in the "Breaking Bread' hymnal whose lyrics weren't written more tan 50 years ago don't count as Catholic hymns), especially ones about God's Mother, God under the species of bread and wine and the Mystery of the Most Holy Trinity. Protestant hymns usually don't have sound doctrine, not to mention the fact that they are quite obsessive over Jesus. It's not even healthy. Go through a protestant hymnal, and you will find that in almost all of their songs, Jesus is mentioned at least once. You probably won't see the other two Persons mentioned in more than 5% of their hymns. I find that quite annoying.
[/quote]
no comment.

IcePrincessKRS

I have to admit, I always did find the idea of rapture humorous. I mean, can you imagine being the guy left behind... sitting there eating ice cream with your buddy in the park when all of a sudden... "What the....????"

mariahLVzJP2

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1040817' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:02 AM']
I have to admit, I always did find the idea of rapture humorous. I mean, can you imagine being the guy left behind... sitting there eating ice cream with your buddy in the park when all of a sudden... "What the....????"
[/quote]

:lol:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1039452' date='Aug 7 2006, 11:45 PM']
For the record, I wasn't picking on their social functions. I really like and miss church pot lucks. :(
[/quote]
Organize one. :) You know 50% of adult converts fall away within the first year? They get so used ot RCIA and then they're received and suddenly they're on their own. There needs to be a weening, but also a continuity that incorporates them in to the parish family. A pot luck might be just the thing, especially if a lot of those converts used to have them at their old churches.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1040752' date='Aug 10 2006, 04:49 AM']
[/quote]
I won't agree with everything stated above, but I'm bothered by some of the hymns that have affected Catholic hymns. I hate going to Mass and hearing about bread and wine after the Consecration...there are hymns in the OCP hymnals that say, "Jesus in the bread..."

homeschoolmom

Actually, we were barely in RCIA-- only a few weeks. And I'm busy teaching in the homeschool co-op I helped organize last year at our parish. ;)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1040877' date='Aug 10 2006, 11:42 AM']
i really can see no good coming out of a thread like this. :ohno:
[/quote]
Nor I...except if HSmom makes us a tasty hotdish.

I'd probably close it.