An Old School Catholic Message Board

Against 'Private Judgement'?

Budge

is this still being taught in the seminaries?

[quote]
Quote:"What is the first and daily school lesson taught to young Roman Catholic?[font="Arial Black"] Is it not that one of the greatest crimes which a man can commit is to follow his 'private judgement'? This means that he has eyes, ears and intelligence, but he cannot make use of them without danger of being eternally damned. His Superiors, the priest and the pope, must see for him, hear for him and think for him."[/font]

"If this appears to be an exaggeration, allow me to force the Church of Rome to come here and speak for herself. [size=5]Here are the very words of the so-called "Saint" Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit Society: "As for holy obedience, this virtue must be perfect in every point, in execution, in will, in intellect, doing which is enjoined with all celerity, spiritual joy and perserverance, persuading ourselves that everything is just, suppressing every repugnant thought and judgement of one's own, in a certain obedience and let every one persuade himself that he who lives under obedience; should be moved and directed, under Divine Providence, by his superior, JUST AS HE WERE A CORPSE which allows itself to be moved and led in every direction"[/size]
[/quote]

page 52 50 Years in the Church of Rome, Charles Chiniquy

How many of you agree with these teachings of Loyola?
[quote]
He then developed a philosophy for the Church, which was built on faith.[b] For instance, if the Church said something was white, you regarded it as white, even though you thought it was black.[/b] He encouraged people to trust the Church, instead of relying on his/her own insight.[/quote]

Groo the Wanderer

Are you bored?

Instead of spending yer time trying to knock the big CC with a bunch of misquotes and out of context snippets...you should instead look at some Catholic apologetics.

At least then you are looking at something that can be taken seriously and with some authority. If you are trying to prove something against the Church, then you should go to better sources to start your study...

WARNING: if you do this, you might exeperience a change of heart....could lead to conversion....

Are ye up to it? :ninja:

Budge,
Please bash with honesty.
Everyone knows that there are more official documents to quote and picking some random 'unofficial' quotes just doesn't hold water. Though honestly, lot's of Catholics do think (wrongly) your post is correct.

The Catechism tells Catholics the default belief is the Chruch interpretation, but they should follow their own Conscience with proper respect and weight given to the teachings of the Church. It's a grave and serious matter. Undisciplined private interpretation is the denominationalism that has 2 baptist churches accross the street from each other.

Catholic Fanatic

Budge you have been corrected so many times. Yet you will not listen. "that they may have ears and not hear, eyes and not see". You attack straw man caricatures of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church created in 33AD by Jesus Christ who said the gates of hell would never prevail against her, instead of the actual arguments.

The Terrible Judge will call you to Himself and have you killed, as he did with the criminals in the Gosple of Luke. "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord.." You will suffer wailing and gnashing of teeth, and won't be released until you have paid the last penny, which you cannot accomplish in literal fires of hell.

Repent or be damned.

thessalonian

By the way, I find this thread and your other one rather comical and contradictory. You proclaim "private judgement" as this great virtue yet you accuse the Catholic faith of Lording over the scriptures. If one looks at the reality of what happens in Christianity, those who preach sola scriptura end up being the ones that assert their personal opinions as being the word of God when many times they are contradicting eachother, making either one of both wrong.

Jesuspaidtheprice

1 Peter 1:20 I believe is the standard for the Catholic understanding of interpretation. The scriptures do require interpretation so the real question is, who should be allowed to interpret them so that one does not fall into heresy?

I own Karl Keatings book Pyranimia,

It actually helped to cement my own belief.

Rome has chained the Bible away from all of your hearts. That is so sad. They falsely teach you that you cannot read it and understand. The Holy Spirit leads the Christian to under Gods Word, it is not just for specially ordained experts.

Everyone here go read Hebrews 10.

I converted out of Rome, reading a badly translated CATHOLIC NAB BIBLE.

There are things in the Bible you all need to learn.

Except I do read it and understand it. But the guidance of the Magisterium is helpful in understanding.

"First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by human will, but men and women moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" 2 Peter 1:20-21

The Magisterium wasn't against reading and understanding, they were against disunity.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1040887' date='Aug 10 2006, 11:53 AM']
I own Karl Keatings book Pyranimia,

It actually helped to cement my own belief.

Rome has chained the Bible away from all of your hearts. That is so sad. They falsely teach you that you cannot read it and understand. The Holy Spirit leads the Christian to under Gods Word, it is not just for specially ordained experts.

Everyone here go read Hebrews 10.

I converted out of Rome, reading a badly translated CATHOLIC NAB BIBLE.

There are things in the Bible you all need to learn.
[/quote]
Budge, you still haven't replied to my other thread...the one on your one world religion theory. We were having such a pleasant debate.

The Church most certainly teaches us to use our reason to understand the Scriptures. She simply also says that we must have guides. If the Holy Spirit told you one thing, and you said, "no, I interpret it this way," you would think it was heresy to against the Holy Spirit, but when Christ established the Magisterium of the Church, promising that the Holy Spirit would protect it from error, you won't believe the Holy Spirit as it speaks through the Church. So really, what is the issue...do you not trust authority, or do you not trust human beings?

[quote]
The Church most certainly teaches us to use our reason to understand the Scriptures. She simply also says that we must have guides. If the Holy Spirit told you one thing, and you said, "no, I interpret it this way," you would think it was heresy to against the Holy Spirit, but when Christ established the Magisterium of the Church, promising that the Holy Spirit would protect it from error, you won't believe the Holy Spirit as it speaks through the Church. So really, what is the issue...do you not trust authority, or do you not trust human beings?[/quote]

The idea that only EXPERTS can interpret scripture for Christian believers is false. This is one of the biggest lies out hell, as this totally chains the Bible away from Catholics hearts. This gives your leaders free reign to teach things totally opposite to the teachings of scripture such as the interfaith movement and tell Catholics, "we know what we are doing, dont ask too many questions. If you see other things taught in Gods Word, ignore them because we are the only ones who understand and interpret scriptures correctly"

Why did Jesus chastise the Sadducees for not knowing Scriptures if it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to interpret or understand them?
[font="Lucida Console"]
Mar 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
[/font]

Why does Paul Instruct us to study scripture if we cant understand it?
[font="Lucida Console"]
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Gods Word tells us over and over that the Holy Spirit NOT A GROUP OF MEN will intepret scripture for God's children and will help them understand all things.

[font=Lucida Console]Jhn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.[/font]

Rome's claim that this is only for a special select group of men is FALSE.

the other disciples of Christ not just the apostles were led by the Holy Spirit.
[size=5]
THIS VERSE PROVES THAT JESUS NEVER INTENDED FOR A SPECIAL GROUP OF EXPERTS TO TELL US WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS....[/size]
[size=5]
1Jo 2:26 These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, [u]and ye need not that any man teach you:[/u] but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him[/size]

So do you believe this verse or do you not?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1040911' date='Aug 10 2006, 12:12 PM']
The idea that only EXPERTS can interpret scripture for Christian believers is false. This is one of the biggest lies out hell, as this totally chains the Bible away from Catholics hearts. This gives your leaders free reign to teach things totally opposite to the teachings of scripture such as the interfaith movement and tell Catholics, "we know what we are doing, dont ask too many questions. If you see other things taught in Gods Word, ignore them because we are the only ones who understand and interpret scriptures correctly"

Why did Jesus chastise the Sadducees for not knowing Scriptures if it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to interpret or understand them?
[font="Lucida Console"]
Mar 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
[/font]

Why does Paul Instruct us to study scripture if we cant understand it?
[font="Lucida Console"]
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Gods Word tells us over and over that the Holy Spirit NOT A GROUP OF MEN will intepret scripture for God's children and will help them understand all things.

[font=Lucida Console]Jhn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.[/font]

Rome's claim that this is only for a special select group of men is FALSE.

the other disciples of Christ not just the apostles were led by the Holy Spirit.
[size=5]
THIS VERSE PROVES THAT JESUS NEVER INTENDED FOR A SPECIAL GROUP OF EXPERTS TO TELL US WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS....[/size]
[size=5]
1Jo 2:26 These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, [u]and ye need not that any man teach you:[/u] but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him[/size]

[/quote]

Did you even read what I typed? I never, ever said that we couldn't interpret Scripture. I said that we couldn't interpret it without guidance. If you think you can, then you must think you're God.

[quote] 1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him

Did you even read what I typed? I never, ever said that we couldn't interpret Scripture. I said that we couldn't interpret it without guidance. If you think you can, then you must think you're God.[/quote]

I think you are getting a bit confused.

During the thread, you have told me that one has to have the Magisterium to interpret scripture properly and now because I have shown you this verse, you are backtracking and now telling me Catholics can interpret scripture but now with GUIDANCE. Guidance is still TEACHING. One either is going to choose to believe what the Bible says, that Christians do not need teachers to understand the Bible, or they are going to believe convoluted teachings of Rome.

Here is another verse to show you that Jesus Christ never meant for there to be a Magisterium.

[font="Lucida Console"][size=5][u]Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master,[/u][/size] [even] Christ.[/font]

[b]Jesus is saying right there, that the apostles are NOT to be called MASTERS.[/b]

Now lets look what the word MAGISTERIUM means...

from dictionary.com
[quote]

[b]mag·is·te·ri·um [/b] Audio pronunciation of "magisterium" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mj-stîr-m)
n. Roman Catholic Church

The authority to teach religious doctrine.

[Latin, the office of a teacher or other person in authority, [size=5]from magister, master. See magisterial.[/size]

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[/quote]