An Old School Catholic Message Board

Against 'Private Judgement'?

Budge

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1040953' date='Aug 10 2006, 03:13 PM']
I think you are getting a bit confused.

During the thread, you have told me that one has to have the Magisterium to interpret scripture properly and now because I have shown you this verse, you are backtracking and now telling me Catholics can interpret scripture but now with GUIDANCE. Guidance is still TEACHING. One either is going to choose to believe what the Bible says, that Christians do not need teachers to understand the Bible, or they are going to believe convoluted teachings of Rome. [/quote]

The Magisterium is needed to interpret Scripture. Their interpretation, which is in line with the Holy Spirit, is how they guide us. It is the Church, the whole Church, that reads the Scriptures. It is the Church, the whole Church, that interprets the Scriptures. The Church is guided by the Magisterium, but it is not JUST the Magisterium.

[quote]Here is another verse to show you that Jesus Christ never meant for there to be a Magisterium.

[font="Lucida Console"][size=5][u]Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master,[/u][/size] [even] Christ.[/font]

[b]Jesus is saying right there, that the apostles are NOT to be called MASTERS.[/b]

Now lets look what the word MAGISTERIUM means...

from dictionary.com[/quote]

I know full well what magisterium means. It means "teaching office," that is, the gift and duty to teach. Jesus Christ said what, to proclaim the Gospel to the whole world, right? To teach the whole world everything that He taught them? Sounds like He's calling them teachers and instituting a teaching office to me. Yet, as you pointed out, He said not to call themselves teachers. As you can see, then, there is an apparent contradiction. Wherever there is an apparent contradiction in Scripture, our understanding is off. Scripture is clearly inerrant. So let's look at this...Jesus was telling them not to lord it over their followers. Look at the context...He isn't telling them not to be called master or teacher or father...He is telling them not to go aspiring after offices and honors.

[quote]He is telling them not to go aspiring after offices and honors.[/quote]

I think thats already happened.

[img]http://www.pepik.net/fotky/papamobil/papanositka.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.remnantofgod.org/bow2pope2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.24carat.co.uk/images/2002vatican10eurocentobv240.jpg[/img]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1041125' date='Aug 10 2006, 06:39 PM']
I think thats already happened.

[img]http://www.pepik.net/fotky/papamobil/papanositka.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.remnantofgod.org/bow2pope2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.24carat.co.uk/images/2002vatican10eurocentobv240.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Oh, hey, what do you know...it looks like God lavished honors on those popes...without their aspiring to it. :rolleyes:

There were certainly popes who aspired after honors, but that doesn't invalidate the Magisterium. Human abuses of a divine system to not invalidate the divine system. The Church exists and stands in spite of us...myself included.

Oh, and the popes you have used for images were all wonderful, humble men.

So you quote scripture that says you have but one master--> The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit (God ie our master) in interperting scripture. So in essence we are listening to the master. God directing us through the church.

you say all this stuff like Christ never intended this or that he never intended the magisterium etc etc--> thats saying that Christ screwed up and couldnt establish his Church and guide his Church correctly. Whats the worth in worshiping someone who screwed up so bad like that? So you are wasting your time and phatmass's bandwith because according to you Christ screwed up so your wasting your time.

Budge, Im sorry but...You own arguments arent even working for you. You really came to a bad place to aspouse all your wisdom. I dont know nor do I care if you are on your own little crusade, But you are misquoteing and you are really bearing false wittness and as a brother in Christ I am begging you to cease in this nonsense. You are making yourself look extremely foolish.

The main point is this. I worship Christ and so DO YOU. We need to find unity (in a world which, wants nothing to do with our LORD JESUS CHRIST.) I do not exclusivly bow down and worhsip the host. I have extreme reverence for it. And nor do I worship the Blessed Virgin, however I am devoted to her and to the Confraternity to the Most Holy Rosary.

Dont sweat the small stuff. Just worship in peace. And try deep down in your heart to find unity.

~In Christ
-Chris

Edited by Convert4888

EcceNovaFacioOmni

If I can interpret the Bible myself, I can twist it to say whatever I want. That is why we have Scripture being used to justify any number of contradictory positions.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Convert4888' post='1041218' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:19 PM']
I do not exclusivly bow down and worhsip the host. I have extreme reverence for it. [/quote]
I may have misunderstood you, but we are supposed to worship the Eucharist. It's in the Catechism.

Budge, would you at least be kind enough to stop calling us the Catholic Church? Not all Catholics are Roman Catholics.

[quote]
The main point is this. I worship Christ and so DO YOU. We need to find unity (in a world which, wants nothing to do with our LORD JESUS CHRIST.) I do not exclusivly bow down and worhsip the host. I have extreme reverence for it. And nor do I worship the Blessed Virgin, however I am devoted to her and to the Confraternity to the Most Holy Rosary.[/quote]

Chris,

Remember Jesus warned of ANOTHER gospel and of ANOTHER CHRIST. These warnings are throughout scripture. One book you should read is GRAVEN BREAD. I have a thread that has that book on it. I believe the Eucharist Jesus is ANOTHER JESUS not preached of in Scripture.

Unity should never be sought after for the price of truth.

Thanks,

Budge

[quote]
Budge, would you at least be kind enough to stop calling us the Catholic Church? Not all Catholics are Roman Catholics.[/quote]

Oh I know, there are the Maronites and Eastern Catholics...but it is the simplest abbreviation to use.

CC is confusing...that stands for too many other things.

Budge,
Instead of spouting off your 'wisdom', why don't you challenge these Cath's with an answer to their questions?

[quote name='Budge' post='1041856' date='Aug 11 2006, 08:49 PM']
Moses was a Godly leader that didnt preach interfaithism...
[/quote]

You guys have a tendency of answering your own imaginary questions.

Lets take a look to learn about Korah and his followers:

"Korah son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and certain Reubenites—Dathan and Abiram, sons of Eliab, and On son of Peleth—became insolent and rose up against Moses. With them were 250 Israelite men, well-known community leaders who had been appointed members of the council. They came as a group to oppose Moses and Aaron and said to them, "You have gone too far! [b]The whole community is holy, every one of them, and the LORD is with them. [u]Why then do you set yourselves above the LORD's assembly[/u][/b]?"
(Numbers 26: 1-3)

Sounds oftly familiar, doesn't it?

So what ever happens of Korah and his followers?

Edited by mortify