An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interpreting God's word

Budge

well I really should have checked up on that.. not only did he just take one passage out of a very inter-connected book (you gotta have a whole subheading to really see how the Catechism treats any topic) he removed words from it! In all fairness, it is possible he has a copy of the English translation from... I think... before 1992 when they revised it (I could be wrong about the year).

The Latin of the Catechism has remained the same, but they fixed some transational points at that time in the English.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1046446' date='Aug 18 2006, 11:09 PM']
well I really should have checked up on that.. not only did he just take one passage out of a very inter-connected book (you gotta have a whole subheading to really see how the Catechism treats any topic) he removed words from it! In all fairness, it is possible he has a copy of the English translation from... I think... before 1992 when they revised it (I could be wrong about the year).

The Latin of the Catechism has remained the same, but they fixed some transational points at that time in the English.
[/quote]

I quoted it directly from my old Catechism, the original 1994 edition but I just checked my new one and it didn't change.

Budge, I don't know where you got your quote from and I apologize for coming down on you you like that if, indeed, you did not delete the adverb "authentically."

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='ReinnieR' post='1046486' date='Aug 19 2006, 01:20 AM']
2 Peter 1:20

as we tell you over and over and over and over again
[/quote]

Methinks he has torn that passage from his Bible 'cause it don't quite fit his notion of christianity.....

If one intentionally blinds oneself from seeing the path to Truth, one will have a hard time finding it indeed.

I wonder what would happen if we were all to start interpreting the laws of the land (USA for me) without a judge... sounds rather chaotic to me. Almost so much so that It would result in oh, say, 40000 different groups of interpretation.

Catholics can indeed interpret Scripture, that is in light of the Church's teachings. That is the only way the bible will not seem to contradict itself. With no boundaries you would get somewhere around 30,000 different theologies, oops we are already there.

2 Peter 1:20 doesnt mean what you folks say it means.

Maybe you ought to try to read the WHOLE THING:
[size=4]
Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.[/size]

[quote]1:20. No prophecy--is of any private interpretation; that is, probably, the means of its interpretation are not found within itself. It can only be understood by being compared with the event. It is on this principle that the light of prophecy is represented in the 2Pe 1:19 as a light beginning to shine, and which would increase as its fulfilment was gradually developed.[/quote]
[size=5]
n. He joins the Scripture and prophecy together, to distinguish true prophecies from false.[/size]

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1046541' date='Aug 20 2006, 06:57 AM']
2 Peter 1:20 doesnt mean what you folks say it means.

Maybe you ought to try to read the WHOLE THING:
[size=4]
Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.[/size]
[size=5]
n. He joins the Scripture and prophecy together, to distinguish true prophecies from false.[/size]
[/quote]
How do you define prophecy?

[quote] How do you define prophecy?[/quote]

Predictions of future events, that have not transpired at the TIME THEY WERE WRITTEN.

homeschoolmom

So we are allowed to interpret Scripture... as long as it is in line with your teaching. You are the magistarium

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1046551' date='Aug 20 2006, 07:26 AM']
Predictions of future events, that have not transpired at the TIME THEY WERE WRITTEN.
[/quote]
Depends on how you define future doesn't it.
The jews saw prophecy I think a bit diffferent than you would, you are limiting it and turning it into a game. Anybody can say, this written line 2000 years ago means this is occurring right now. Thats why you get the rapture fantasies.
Prophecy can mean future events, but the jews being practical people living in the here and now, saw prophecy as a revealing of the truth of what was happening now and as well as in the [i]immediate[/i] past and future. If they were invaded by a neighboring country, their prophets would point our this was their judgement for their current sin. Prophets were concerned with changing currrent behavior, and only secondarily with their gggg grandchildren.

Do you believe any prophecies in the Bible will really happen?

If you believe that Jesus is really coming again, why dont you believe what the BIble says will happen right before that?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1046559' date='Aug 20 2006, 07:41 AM']
Do you believe any prophecies in the Bible will really happen?

If you believe that Jesus is really coming again, why dont you believe what the BIble says will happen right before that?
[/quote]
Prophecies have happened and will happen, but we are not to be concerned with them. Jesus as a man, didn't even know the day or the hour. I am far more concerned with working out my salvation with fear and trembling, cause I am real sure my end will be here far sooner than the worlds.
Besides the jews must convert before the end, and that hasn't started happening yet.

If we are to mention 2 Peter 1:20, we may also mention

2 Peter 3:16-17

[quote]16: speaking of this as he does in all his letters. [u]There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. [/u] 17: You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability. [/quote]

[quote]There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures.[/quote]

Why wouldnt this apply to the Vatican or the Catholic clergy?

Fact of the matter is they dont even believe in scripture.
[quote]
The fundamentalist approach is dangerous, [b]for it is attractive to people who look to the Bible for ready answers to the problems of life.[/b] It can deceive these people, offering them interpretations that are pious but illusory, instead of telling them that the Bible does not necessarily contain an immediate answer to each and every problem. [b]Without saying as much in so many words, fundamentalism actually invites people to a kind of intellectual suicide. It injects into life a false certitude, for it unwittingly confuses the divine substance of the biblical message with what are in fact its human limitations[/b][/quote]

Basically they are teaching that belief in scripture is intellectual sucidide and deny that scirpture holds the answers to the problems of life.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCINTER.HTM"]CATHOLIC CLERGY DOESNT BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE[/url]

Wonder what God thinks of this nonsense?