An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Masses Does It take to Get out of Purgatory?

Budge

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1047447' date='Aug 21 2006, 03:59 PM']
She had too, for Simony was THE WAY the system was operated under! Selling of office was pretty much the NORM for 700 years.
[/quote]
it was far from the "NORM" for 700 years. it was a frequent abuse, because it is a great temptation to aim at whatever has temporal power in the world and use it for your own petty gain. while the Church had temporal power, she was thusly attacked by men of greed.

but the Church herself continually preached against it and disciplined those who did it severely.

simony even had to be condemned in the New Testament. it's human nature: people want to use spiritual things for temporal prestigue.

(jswranch terribly sorry for hijacking the thread)

Would anyone agree that pedaphilia is the new simony for Catholics today?

if by that, you mean that less than 1% of priests were committing simony in medieval times, then you're mistaken. if it's the other way around and the media has convinced you that pedophilia is widespread among the priesthood, then you are also mistaken.

[b]less than 1% of priests have had credible accusations of pedophilia against them[/b]

pedophilia is something that happens because our culture has a sickness and the clergy comes from that culture. simony is something that used to happen because people attempted to seize the Church's temporal power with their money.

I don't think the two are too analogous other than them both being sins committed by members of the clergy.

Guest JeffCR07

I think its funny how Budge and Eutychus think that shamelessly supporting one another can somehow make their arguments more valid.

[quote]I think its funny how Budge and Eutychus think that shamelessly supporting one another can somehow make their arguments more valid. [/quote]

You will find that most former Roman Catholics brought out { Rev 18:4 } by the grace of God will sound the same, without collaboration, without consultation.

There is joy that being out of the Catholic Church brings, freedom, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit tends to cause one to approach ANY sacerdotal dinosaur with a very similar skepticism and distain.

If you have been on EX Legionairres sites, or EX Opus Dei, or EX Mormons, or EX JW's, you will see pretty much the same attitudes towards the former groups that they at one time loved, and now hold with a high degree of contempt.

"and they will know we are Christians by our contempt, by our contempt! Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our contempt!"

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1047728' date='Aug 21 2006, 09:13 PM']You will find that most former Roman Catholics brought out { Rev 18:4 } by the grace of God will sound the same, without collaboration, without consultation.

There is joy that being out of the Catholic Church brings, freedom, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit tends to cause one to approach ANY sacerdotal dinosaur with a very similar skepticism and distain.[/quote]I guess we have different views of joy.

Your example here on this forum is devoid of any perceivable joy, and is consistent with the mean-spirited attitude of some portion of ex-Catholics I have known in the real world. I have yet to see any joy or positive attitude from you regarding your religious beliefs--you're always focused on the splinter in someone else's eye. So far, in my judgment, you posts maintain a condescending tone, and you can't seem to hurl enough epithets at Catholics. Terribly unfortunate behavior, and--sadly--contrary to the Christian virtue of Charity.

[quote]less than 1% of priests have had credible accusations of pedophilia against them[/quote]

You havent figured out yet the problem wasnt pedophilia but homosexuality?

Most of those abused were post-pubscent teens. Even the John Jay report admitted to that.

[quote name='Budge' post='1048175' date='Aug 22 2006, 04:23 PM']
You havent figured out yet the problem wasnt pedophilia but homosexuality?

Most of those abused were post-pubscent teens. Even the John Jay report admitted to that.
[/quote]

not so.. when an adult male is sexually attracted to another adult male, that is homosexuality, however, when that male is sexually attracted to a male child, it is pedophilia(as reported by the American Psychiatric Association & webMD). anytime an adult is sexually attracted to a child it is classified as pedophilia.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1047728' date='Aug 21 2006, 07:13 PM']
You will find that most former Roman Catholics brought out { Rev 18:4 } by the grace of God will sound the same, without collaboration, without consultation.

There is joy that being out of the Catholic Church brings, freedom, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit tends to cause one to approach ANY sacerdotal dinosaur with a very similar skepticism and distain.

If you have been on EX Legionairres sites, or EX Opus Dei, or EX Mormons, or EX JW's, you will see pretty much the same attitudes towards the former groups that they at one time loved, and now hold with a high degree of contempt.
[/quote]

Yes yes, quite right. You know, all these years, I've felt very suppressed, very bound. The [i]truth[/i] can be quite stifling. I think I'll be...whatever denomination Budge and Euty are, that looks liberating!

missionseeker

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1047728' date='Aug 21 2006, 08:13 PM']

[/quote]

Most that I know don't. (I'll admit that I don't know that many former Catholics- I don't know that many Catholics either, I'm in South Alabama, Catholics are anathema)

I highly doubt that you were led out of the Church that God himself started while He was on earth by the grace of God. It just doesn't make any sense on God's part.

Also

The souls of the faithful departed are prayed for at every single Mass.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Budge' post='1046544' date='Aug 20 2006, 07:12 AM']
do you know how many it takes?

[/quote]
yeah, it's like 47 or some weird number. I've only got 3 to me, what a bummer.

edited for being a butthead.

Edited by toledo_jesus

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1047728' date='Aug 21 2006, 09:13 PM']

[/quote]

Dude you really need to read some revert stories of folks just like you who leave the church then later return to love it more than they ever felt possible.

I was raised Non-Catholic Christian. I became Catholic last year when I found it was all true. My walk with Christ has never been better since I found his Chrurch. My favorite Catholic authors are ex-Protestant/Baptist/Evangelical/and 'I'm not Protestant, I'm Christian' [u]Pastors who went to Non-Catholic seminaries[/u].

My guess you knew Christ's Chruch, but did not know Him. Likely, you had a religious conversion of the heart in a non-Catholic setting. One must have both to follow Christ's commands. YOu were probably also given some lousy understanding of Catholicism over 12 years or so.

Praise God that you found Jesus and dedicated your life to him and now share the faith. Sadly, you have incorrectly concluded that because you did not have such experience in a Catholic setting despite your years of schooling, the Truths held by Catholicsm are false in the areas where they differ from your current ecclesiastical body (Evangelicalism?).

Peace of Christ