An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants and Contraception

stbernardLT

We all now the overwhelming majority of protestant churches accept the use of contraception. This is selfish and is a direct assault aginst life, the gift of sexuality, and the sacredness of marriage. It primarily stems from false interpretations of scripture (as does most protestant theology), but it is also because of the prosperity message in the false churches. A lot of children are too expensive and would deplete our blessings. Oh, wait a minute maybe the gift of life is the actual blessing.

So budge and eutychus, lets get this thing going. What do you think. It is time to stop avoiding theology fellas.

Be careful I am a dad of four, going on five, and I love my blessings.

Edited by stbernardLT

Can you direct me to a few articles on Catholics and Contraception, please? I am quite rusty on these issues. Forgive the limits of my study.

[quote] bud and uterus[/quote]

:lol_sign:

Remember one thing about them. They like to twist your words around and they make absolutly no sense...At all.

Edited by Convert4888

sure, you're less prosperous while you're raising the kids.. but when they start getting their own income, they can put you in a very nice retirement home :-P

and although i didn't while i was in high school, i'm more learned now and am contracontraception... not much else i can say until this debate become two-sided

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Franimus' post='1049190' date='Aug 23 2006, 08:02 PM']
sure, you're less prosperous while you're raising the kids.. but when they start getting their own income, they can put you in a very nice retirement home :-P

and although i didn't while i was in high school, i'm more learned now and am contracontraception... not much else i can say until this debate become two-sided
[/quote]
So, are you proception?

[quote name='Convert4888' post='1049176' date='Aug 23 2006, 08:37 PM']
Can you direct me to a few articles on Catholics and Contraception, please? I am quite rusty on these issues. Forgive the limits of my study.
[/quote]
Visit the [url="http://www.ccli.org"]Couple to Couple League.[/url] They can provide you with quite a bit of information. And not all of that information is specifically Catholic. Up until the 1930's, no Protestant denomination supported contraception (contraception has existed since the time of the Romans, at least in theory if not in efficacy). If fact, all were unanimously against it until that time. It's not too hard to find quotes by such Protestant notables as Martin Luther and John Calvin against contraception. If this website can't point you to information that satisfies you, I'll provide you with some specifics after my exam on Friday (I'm a bit rushed right now). However as this is the organization that educated me about NFP, I'm pretty sure that you'll find what you need. Interestingly, half of the couples in my NFP class were Protestant.

If you want teaching from a specifically Catholic perspective, then you absolutely must read Pope Paul VI's [i]Humanae Vitae.[/i]

Edited by CameBackHome

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1049203' date='Aug 23 2006, 09:11 PM']
So, are you proception?
[/quote]
I'll put it another way: i'm in the group "Catholics who want to get married and procreate with wreckless abandonment"
[url="http://franciscan.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2203308047"](link for those who have facebook)[/url]

thessalonian

Yes, they feel their best defense is being good and offensive. :ohno:

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Franimus' post='1049251' date='Aug 23 2006, 10:43 PM']
I'll put it another way: i'm in the group "Catholics who want to get married and procreate with wreckless abandonment"
[url="http://franciscan.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2203308047"](link for those who have facebook)[/url]
[/quote]
I'm also a member of that group. I heard there's a newsletter but I haven't seen it yet.

I think it would be helpful at the outset of this discussion to note that not all Protestants are pro-contraception. I personally know several Protestant couples who are actually not using contraception at all for theological reasons. I also know quite a few Catholics who ARE using contraception. This isn't an issue with which you can divide people into neat camps.

I think for most protestants it just hasn't occurred to them that it would be wrong. Same, unfortunately for too many Catholics.

I remember when I found out the Church was opposed to birth control I was shocked. First of all, I'd never been taught that from the pulpit or catechism. Then I just couldn't figure out was so wrong with "being responsible" because that's how society depicts contraception. You're "being responsible". Of course once I actually thought about it it was obvious that God would not approve of contraception.

So I don't think you should be attacking them like that. Just explain the reasoning why its wrong. Most protestants are not theologians that have spent time justifying contraception, they're simply going with what they're accustomed to. That isn't really their fault. In a way, that's our fault. Those teaching Catholicism need to stop evading the subject for fear of offending us. Offend us if it brings us closer to God, already.

thessalonian

I would challenge ANYONE (that you budge and Euchy) to listen to Christopher West's 8 DVD's on theology of the body, available at www.christpherwest.com and still think that these things are okay. It would take one heck of a hard heart.

[quote name='stbernardLT' post='1049950' date='Aug 24 2006, 05:48 PM']
Have you actually tried to reason with Budge and eutychus. Reason is not in their vocabulary.
[/quote]

I have noticed that they can be rather stubborn. But I was speaking about protestants in general.

And I agree that listening to Christopher West would be great. I think you guys really should think about listening to it. Just check it out, see what you think. I would love to hear about it.

:flowers:

Edited by zunshynn

thessalonian

Please see this thread.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56402"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56402[/url]

Well, I can only give my opinion as to why many Protestants use contraceptives. I guess its cause we are Americanized and modernized to the highest degree. What I mean by this is the aspect of being able to afford to have a child. The couple more than likely wants a child, but can't afford to have the child at the time, so they will use contraceptives. This is just my theory as to why we use contraceptives and dont see it as evil.

Edited by desertwoman