An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mass

kaidoh

do you think drinking anything but water just before Mass  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

puellapaschalis

I read the question to mean: "Do you drink anything other than water just before Mass?" to which my answer is "No". I try to fast even from water before Mass unless I'm in real need of the hydration.

Love and prayers,

PP

i think i am just a little slow and did not understand the question..

i DO think something about drinking water before Mass.

i think you shouldn't... i mean an hour before...unless you gotta take meds or something

I drink water up until Mass. There is and never has been anything wrong with drinking water. Just dont drink anything else, eat, or chew gum, for as long as possible beforehand.

i'm still lost as to the real meaning of this question..
I refrain from drinkin water during the fast unless I'm parched.. If I were a choir member or the priest (during those long homilies..) I would drink water during Mass then.
Ever hear the story about the substitute/new preacher who kept a glass of vodka at the pulpit for when he got parched during the sermon? The old preacher sent him a list of corrections.. I can't remember them all, but they included "David did not bet his ass off; he wagered his donkey" and other similar things...

I drink water. But it is acceptable to drink other things if for medical reasons. ie. juice for diabetes, or if you are pregnant, any fasting doesn't apply (or at least that is what several priests have told me).

I think i threw the poll of a bit. I read the question wrong or something.... I'm not sure. I marked 'Yes' when I meant to mark 'NO'. I think the question is asking if you drink anything other than water before mass. I only drink water and that's only when I'm thirsty or have to take medicines.

We should be free of mortal sin, have a clear conscience through prayer, and observe the period fasting before mass....unless in elderly age or having to drink water.

God Bless!

I eat and drink whatever I want before Mass if I'm not recieving Communion. If I am recieving, though, I don't eat or drink anything from the midnight before or from 3 hrs before depending.

VeniteAdoremus

I don't drink anything but water before Mass. I fast completely for an hour if I go to the 11.15 mass or if I'm serving (or I will drop over during the Gospel, which just isn't phun), and if I go to the 10.00 I'll fast the entire morning, except water.

Oh, and if I've been to an all-night vigil I'll have crazy amounts of breakfast. But I try to do it up to an hour before Mass. :)

i do drink water before Mass, but i cannot hold to the one hour fast rule now that i'm pregnant. i try, but most often i can't.

I'm sorry I ment to type. "Do you fast everything but water a hour before Mass?" I guess its to late now.

I'm asking cuz its school thinks juice is fine a hour before Mass. The fast rule seems to of just started here. I do not know why it just started now and not years ago.

[quote name='kaidoh' post='1050799' date='Aug 26 2006, 01:28 PM']
I'm sorry I ment to type. "Do you fast everything but water a hour before Mass?" I guess its to late now.

I'm asking cuz its school thinks juice is fine a hour before Mass. The fast rule seems to of just started here. I do not know why it just started now and not years ago.
[/quote]

strange isn't it :wacko: The Code with the current regulations has been in force since 1983

Can. 919 §1 Whoever is to receive the blessed Eucharist is to abstain for [b]at least one hour before holy communion[/b] from all food and drink, with the sole exception of water and medicine.

Of course you can abstain for as long as you like but the law says 1 hour BEFORE H.C :)