An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mass

kaidoh

do you think drinking anything but water just before Mass  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I usually abstain from everything except water an hour before Mass begins, but I definitely make sure not to an hour before Holy Communion. I was so nervous one time because I was singing the Ave Maria during the Presentation for a Mass with our Bishop at our high school at May Crowning, that my Math teacher kept giving me mugs of tea in class up to an hour before Holy Communion. It helped! ^_^

cmotherofpirl

Choir members usually have bottles of tea with them, so we sing and not croak. We also have a supply of cough drops.

Ash Wednesday

I think we need to clarify something here: there is a difference when you say "before mass" or "before receiving communion."

It is my understanding that the fast is before actually receiving communion -- not before you first come in to mass.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1050919' date='Aug 26 2006, 09:36 AM']
I think we need to clarify something here: there is a difference when you say "before mass" or "before receiving communion."

It is my understanding that the fast is before actually receiving communion -- not before you first come in to mass.
[/quote]

Correct

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1050544' date='Aug 25 2006, 11:30 PM']
i do drink water before Mass, but i cannot hold to the one hour fast rule now that i'm pregnant. i try, but most often i can't.
[/quote]

If you're pregnant, or have an illness, you shouldn't fast. My father would go 'tut, tut' on you! (He's still upset that I fasted on Fridays during Lent.)

SeekingHisPlan

[quote name='FutureSoror' post='1049587' date='Aug 24 2006, 10:58 AM']
When I am singing in the choir, I have water with me and periodically drink it during mass.
[/quote]

Me too. The worst mistake I ever made was drinking an entire bottle of water in the 10 minutes before Good Friday service. Oh my GOODNESS that was painful.

I learned better and had all my water BEFORE I left for Church on Easter Sunday, but then I had to use the ladies rm before Mass, and I literally ran up the balcony stairs and back into my place as the first note of "Worthy is the Lamb" sounded. I was like, "Worthy....pant pant....lamb that was slain...pant, pant....to God by His blood"

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1050919' date='Aug 26 2006, 09:36 AM']

[/quote]

I think you're right on this, but I've seen some people twist this to justify eating or drinking before mass. They claim that since mass is around 1 hour long, and communion happens at about the 45 min mark, they only have to fast 15 mins before the mass starts and just not eat during the mass. While this might be 'technically' correct, I think it really violates the spirit of the law. I always try to fast 1 hour before the mass starts.

hehe.. I am all for obeying the laws of the Church.. but I cant help to think to myself "1 hour before Communion? Gee that's nothing!"