An Old School Catholic Message Board

There is hope for Canada!

awyers

I went to mass tonight and the Bishop happened to be there. The next thing I know I was introduced and we were having coffee! I told him how I will be entering a community in the US ans we spoke about the need in Canada. He told me to stay in touch with him and he would be glad to discern the possibility of inviting the sisters to start a community here in Canada! I wasnt even supposed to be in town tonight and I end up chatting with the most down to earth Bishop imaginable. Amazing how God works!!!

Oh my gosh... that is so awesome! I want to meet my bishop!

Anyway, Allison, what is this? I'm in the dark! What community are you talking about? Or is it a secret right now? I suppose I can't blame you. I did the same about OLAM. But apparently its an active community? Yay!

passionheart

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1051300' date='Aug 27 2006, 12:11 AM']
I went to mass tonight and the Bishop happened to be there. The next thing I know I was introduced and we were having coffee! I told him how I will be entering a community in the US ans we spoke about the need in Canada. He told me to stay in touch with him and he would be glad to discern the possibility of inviting the sisters to start a community here in Canada! I wasnt even supposed to be in town tonight and I end up chatting with the most down to earth Bishop imaginable. Amazing how God works!!!
[/quote]

When I was with the Sisters of Mary Mother of Eucharist for their retreat, I spoke to some of the Canadian sisters there. I said that one day you will be returning to Canada because we are now missionary territory.

Allison, you maybe part of the beginning of the RETURN so to speak. Always, I thought about my leaving as well and I said to the Lord Canada needs faith filled religious BIG TIME shouldn't I stay??? Well, it seems that it is no for me but if it is God's desire to have you stay then SWEET!!! :D:

Our Lady of the Cape
St. Joseph
St. Ann
St. John the Baptist
Blessed Br. Andre
St. Margaret D'Youville
St. Marguerite Bourgeoys
Canadian Martyrs
Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha
Bl. Marie of the Incarnation

Pray for Canada!!!

Edited by passionheart

• 1 month later...

Someone just told me some awesome news yesterday, and I just had to share it with all of you Canadian discerners.

I have a friend who knows a woman that is going to be starting a new order for women based in Ottawa this coming year. They will be called the Queenship of Mary and will be working with the Companions of the Cross.

Isn't that awesome? Pray for them!

passionheart

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1081337' date='Oct 2 2006, 12:00 AM']
Someone just told me some awesome news yesterday, and I just had to share it with all of you Canadian discerners.

I have a friend who knows a woman that is going to be starting a new order for women based in Ottawa this coming year. They will be called the Queenship of Mary and will be working with the Companions of the Cross.

Isn't that awesome? Pray for them!
[/quote]

I live in Ottawa and the CC have been trying to get the women counterpart going for a number of years now. Maybe after all these years, this may work?!

I was on a mission trip last year with a priest from the Companion of the Cross ... he was awesome.

A new community, Queenship of Mary -- that would be a blessing! Especially with the support from the Companion of the Cross.

-- Carmen

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1081392' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:37 PM']
I was on a mission trip last year with a priest from the Companion of the Cross ... he was awesome.

A new community, Queenship of Mary -- that would be a blessing! Especially with the support from the Companion of the Cross.

-- Carmen
[/quote]

I looove the Companions and was just up in Ottawa for an amazing retreat type weekend. I was really hopeful when I found out about the female extension of the Companions last year and tried to discern with them to no avail. They seemed to be having a bit of trouble getting off the ground and I know that they have been trying to start this community for 5 or 6 years now. They really need our prayers and the Companions too!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1051300' date='Aug 27 2006, 06:11 AM']
[/quote]

Bishops, in my experience, are Good Things. Because they're so Old And Wrinkly (relatively speaking ;)) they tend to be quite wise and stuff and rather good at giving good advice. I don't understand (barring the unfortunate exceptions) why anyone might see "obedience to one's Bishop" as being a bad thing - they're just super people who have everyone's best interests (=heaven) at heart.

What I've learnt from some (not that I've been told this, just something I've picked up) is that when people talk to them about their vocations - not just to the priesthood, which of course they'd see quite a bit of, but to a life of holiness in general - especially those people are really alive and enthusiastic about those vocations, it does these Bishops no end of good. A bit like making a good Confession is a sign of hope for your Confessor, sharing what you can of your vocation journey with your Bishop can encourage him in [i]his[/i] vocation too. It can be a very powerful affirmation of the work he's doing.

I've just had a really marvellous weekend, starting off with an overnight Adoration Vigil and topped off with Confirmation Mass yesterday, so I'm in even more of a "I <3 my Bish" mood than usual :)

So everyone, WUB YOUR CLERGY! They deserve it!

Love and prayers,

PP

HeavenlyCalling

That is sooo cool!! It's very sad that Canada has such a problem with vocations, considering that where some of the first convents were set up and the first saints made in the new world! Tons of prayers :sign:

That is so awesome! Please keep us posted....It would be great to see some more "home-grown" Canadian orders. The only ones that are getting young vocations that I know of are the [url="http://franciscansofhalifax.com/"]Franciscans of Halifax[/url] and the [url="http://www.sistersofourladyimmaculate.com/main.html"]Sisters of Our Lady Immaculate[/url]

I also think it would be great for more American orders to establish houses in Canada. It would help to make Sisters more visible and hopefully restore religious life there!

passionheart

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1081946' date='Oct 2 2006, 01:56 PM']
That is sooo cool!! It's very sad that Canada has such a problem with vocations, considering that where some of the first convents were set up and the first saints made in the new world! Tons of prayers :sign:
[/quote]

My friend, there are lots of vocations but they are leaving to the US or abroad. Generally, our problem is rooted in the secularization of religious life here. Yet, as I said before the tide is turning.

We have new Dominican monastery in British Columbia. My soon to be Prioress blood sister is there. May be this order with the CC will take off this time after so many false starts, I don't know. Even the bishops in Quebec are hoping that the Eucharistic Congress that is coming in 2008 will help revitalize the church!! In Ottawa, we have just begun a discern group for women in the Archdiocese. We had our first meeting already and our next one is October 13.

So the Spirit is a-moving!!!