An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy (St. Faustina's Sisters)

Veritas

[quote name='Veritas' post='1053486' date='Aug 30 2006, 05:26 AM']
[url="http://www.sisterfaustina.org/"]http://www.sisterfaustina.org/[/url]

Anyone?

:)
[/quote]

I wrote to them in May, but never heard back... :idontknow:

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1053575' date='Aug 30 2006, 12:18 PM']
Did you write in Polish? Rozumiesz? :D:
[/quote]

:P:

Perhaps I should have... :lol:

I've got mad Polish skillz, yo. :dunce: Haha!

[quote name='Sadora' post='1053583' date='Aug 30 2006, 09:27 AM']
:P:

Perhaps I should have... :lol:

I've got mad Polish skillz, yo. :dunce: Haha!
[/quote]

Do you really? Sweetness!

I never discerned with them, but they do seem like a great order!

I can't tell though, are they no longer cloistered? Or are there like two separate branches? (I know the Visitation Nuns are like that—one federation are comtemplative and the other is semi-contemplative with a teaching apostolate.)

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1053611' date='Aug 30 2006, 01:00 PM']
Do you really? Sweetness!

I never discerned with them, but they do seem like a great order!

I can't tell though, are they no longer cloistered? Or are there like two separate branches? (I know the Visitation Nuns are like that—one federation are comtemplative and the other is semi-contemplative with a teaching apostolate.)
[/quote]

Actually, I have [i]no[/i] skills whatsoever in Polish... :blush: It would be fabulous if I did!! I'm pretty much monolingual.. :sadder: However, this shall change within the next four years or so -- God willing!!

From the website, it seems like they're no longer cloistered. (from their website: [i]...through the mission that Jesus entrusted to Sister Faustina, the charism's scope was expanded - going beyond the confines of our "Mercy Houses" for girls and women...[/i]) Or perhaps it's more like you said, they have two different branches?

Edited by Sadora

AlterDominicus

I've discerned with them for a while Sister Theresa the vocation director, she is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I called and talked to her a few times, we became best friends.

In Poland, I don't think they ever were cloistered. I also thought that in the USA their mission was more focused on spreading the Divine Mercy devotions. :idontknow:

AlterDominicus

If you call in MA you can be assured a call back or a pick up, Sister Theresa sent me a blessed rosary braclet, I have to talk to her anyway...as for the devotions I think thats the case, they do more then that, but they have a recording and video I think of the Divine Mercy Chaplet thats how I actually got into praying it.

My then boyfriend's sister is a sister with them, lol. I went up to boston with he and his brother to visit her for a weekend. The boys took the guest room so I got to stay where the postulants/novices usually get to stay! We also were there around the feast of Our Lady of Mercy, so we got to eat a feast dinner with them! :D:

The sisters were awesome, all around. All very sweet and likable. They do speak english, except for one sister, who cooks, I think she only knows a little. I'm part polish, and when I mentioned this Sister superior started saying something to me in polish and all I could say was, "i'm not [i]that[/i] polish!" and everyone burst out laughing! :lol_roll:

Anyhow, these sisters are beautiful, joyful and 100% faithful and orthodox. Their convent is right next to a seminary. I would honestly join them myself if I didn't have so many family obligations.

Here's a pic of the sisters and my then bf and his bro. I'm the one taking it:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/shutmeoff/100_0359.jpg[/img]

Beautiful picture!!! :photo:

And thank you for sharing your experience with them! I'm half-Korean and sometimes when other Koreans find out about this, they try the same thing! Sadly, I'm not [i]that[/i] Korean either. :sadder: (Though I'd love to learn!!)

I was watching a show on EWTN called 'River of Mercy' and they showed the convent in Poland. The Sisters were kneeling while praying the Rosary, but their arms were outstretched perpendicular to their torsoes. Their torsoes were slightly turned to the left so that the right arm (I think) was in front and the left arm was behind them. The Rosaries were held in the right hand.

It was visually striking because there were so many Sisters (at least 50), but there were also some 'regular' folks praying that way in the back of the church.

Does anyone know why they pray the Rosary with this posture? Also, anyone know the symbolism behind their distinctive veil?

My old youth group did this sometimes. It's supposed to cause you to think about how Jesus felt hanging on the cross. It is hard to hold your arms up like that for a long time. Obviously its only an inkling of his pain, but it does make one think.