An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy (St. Faustina's Sisters)

Veritas

I haven't discern/spoken with the sisters, but I did send them a petition once related to my vocation. They responded that they would pray ... and God did act within a few weeks in the request.

:-)

-- Carmen

[quote name='Veritas' post='1053486' date='Aug 30 2006, 04:26 AM']
[url="http://www.sisterfaustina.org/"]http://www.sisterfaustina.org/[/url]

Anyone?

:)
[/quote]
Julie,

one of my old roommates was with this community for 8 months.

• 8 years later...
Mary+Immaculate<3

Ok I realize this thread is 9 years old, but I guess it's better to resurrect one than start a new one. I was recently listening to a talk by a Marian of the Immaculate Conception, and I looked online to see if there was an order of sisters for it. The orderi found was this one, Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. So I'm really confused.

I thought St. Faustina was in a religious congregation called "Marians of the Immaculage Conception." But I couldn't find a female "Marians of the Immaculate Conception," just a male branch. Did the female branch change their name in order to emphasize the Divine Mercy? Because they obviously have the same habits, they just call St. Faustina their "co-founder." Yeah I'm just confused haha! Any information appreciated.

PS the order sparked my vocational interest...

Ok I realize this thread is 9 years old, but I guess it's better to resurrect one than start a new one. I was recently listening to a talk by a Marian of the Immaculate Conception, and I looked online to see if there was an order of sisters for it. The orderi found was this one, Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. So I'm really confused.

I thought St. Faustina was in a religious congregation called "Marians of the Immaculage Conception." But I couldn't find a female "Marians of the Immaculate Conception," just a male branch. Did the female branch change their name in order to emphasize the Divine Mercy? Because they obviously have the same habits, they just call St. Faustina their "co-founder." Yeah I'm just confused haha! Any information appreciated.

PS the order sparked my vocational interest...

Hello!

There are two main groups.  The community which St. Faustina entered is called the "Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy." http://www.sisterfaustina.org/ They were founded in the 1860s and after St. Faustina's death took up her spirituality, which may explain why they call her co-founder - her vision redirected some of the spirituality and the apostolates of the community which had already existed.

The Sisters of Merciful Jesus (http://www.faustyna.org/adresses-of-congregation.htm) was the congregation founded after her death in response to her visions.  There are several other newer groups which also are based on this spirituality.  One featured on here is the Sisters of Reparation (http://www.sistersofreparation.org/).

The Marians of the Immaculate Conception were founded well before St. Faustina but came particularly associated with spreading the message of Divine Mercy in the U.S.    It's a really cool story how they became promoters of the cause.  See http://www.marian.org/divinemercy/connection.php 

I hope this helps!

Edited by truthfinder

Mary+Immaculate<3,

truthfinder did an excellent job explaining.  The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy recognize St. Faustina as a co-founder due to her impact on their congregation.  They have been shaped so profoundly by her life and charism and officially made the changes within their order in order to make the Divine Mercy message and devotion their main focus.  I had a friend who was with them 8 years before God called her back out into the world and she returned home to meet the man who she married.  

Also, I am very excited because I am going to be with them this weekend as one of their sisters makes perpetual vows!  She will be only the 3rd sister of their congregation in the US to do so!  This will also be my first time witnessing a sister make perpetual vows.  

These sisters are very beautiful and I personally know the sisters in Boston.  They are beautiful, holy, faithful women who love our Lord Jesus so much.  I would recommend giving them a look if they sparked your interest!

The Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception are not the same order as St. Faustina belonged to as mentioned above.  However, they are the most prominent promoters of the message of Divine Mercy throughout the world.  They have the rights to the Diary, the Image, etc. (truthfinder, thanks for posting that link!  It is a really good story!)  They also officially went through the process to modify their Constitutions in order to make spreading the Divine Mercy message part of their charism recognized by the Church.  The Marians are the congregation that Fr. Seraphim Michaelenko (who promoted St. Faustina's Cause of Canonization), Fr. Donald Calloway, and Fr. Michael Gaitley belong to.  Good religious community, but for men only!

Mary+Immaculate<3

Hello!
There are two main groups.  The community which St. Faustina entered is called the "Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy." http://www.sisterfaustina.org/ They were founded in the 1860s and after St. Faustina's death took up her spirituality, which may explain why they call her co-founder - her vision redirected some of the spirituality and the apostolates of the community which had already existed.
The Sisters of Merciful Jesus (http://www.faustyna.org/adresses-of-congregation.htm) was the congregation founded after her death in response to her visions.  There are several other newer groups which also are based on this spirituality.  One featured on here is the Sisters of Reparation (http://www.sistersofreparation.org/).

The Marians of the Immaculate Conception were founded well before St. Faustina but came particularly associated with spreading the message of Divine Mercy in the U.S.    It's a really cool story how they became promoters of the cause.  See http://www.marian.org/divinemercy/connection.php 

I hope this helps!

Okay, thank you, that clears up a lot! :) I'll for sure check out that historical information and those orders.

Mary+Immaculate<3,

truthfinder did an excellent job explaining.  The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy recognize St. Faustina as a co-founder due to her impact on their congregation.  They have been shaped so profoundly by her life and charism and officially made the changes within their order in order to make the Divine Mercy message and devotion their main focus.  I had a friend who was with them 8 years before God called her back out into the world and she returned home to meet the man who she married.  

Also, I am very excited because I am going to be with them this weekend as one of their sisters makes perpetual vows!  She will be only the 3rd sister of their congregation in the US to do so!  This will also be my first time witnessing a sister make perpetual vows.  

These sisters are very beautiful and I personally know the sisters in Boston.  They are beautiful, holy, faithful women who love our Lord Jesus so much.  I would recommend giving them a look if they sparked your interest!

The Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception are not the same order as St. Faustina belonged to as mentioned above.  However, they are the most prominent promoters of the message of Divine Mercy throughout the world.  They have the rights to the Diary, the Image, etc. (truthfinder, thanks for posting that link!  It is a really good story!)  They also officially went through the process to modify their Constitutions in order to make spreading the Divine Mercy message part of their charism recognized by the Church.  The Marians are the congregation that Fr. Seraphim Michaelenko (who promoted St. Faustina's Cause of Canonization), Fr. Donald Calloway, and Fr. Michael Gaitley belong to.  Good religious community, but for men only!

That does sound exciting, especially perpetual vows, that's "Until death do us part" material! I've never been to a profession of any kind, hopefully some day I can witness one though. Now that I know what the difference between all these congregations, I'll check them out ;)

Alright, I was wondering about that, because they do seem so deeply Divine Mercy oriented. I thought St. Faustina's order was called "Marians of the Immaculate Conception" or "Marian Sisters..." and that's what confused me. Now it's clear as a bell. I'm really interested in this story now, gosh! And I was actually listening to some talks by Fr. Michael Gaitley and Fr. Donald Calloway and that's what sparked my interest and curiosity. They're both amazing priests, and I did the 33 Day consecration last year of Fr. Michael's.

Thanks for your answers, it makes sense now :)

When I first started learning about St. Maria Faustina, I thought it would be really cool to join an order she is so closely associated with. I forgot why I lost interest in them Maybe it was because they were based in Poland and had the possibility of being cloistered? I forget! In her Diary she made it seem like they were cloistered, but looking back, I might have mistaken their life as cloistered instead of contemplative. It may have seemed like that because she wasn't actually involved with their apostolates. She just helped in the kitchen and other maintenance work.

Does anyone know if the US sisters spend their novitiate in the States or in Poland?