An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Love Jesus

Akalyte

[quote name='Budge' post='1058727' date='Sep 7 2006, 09:11 PM']
If you know Jesus truly, you will not remain Catholic for long.

Ill give u this, at least you have the discernment to know the interfaith all religions lead to God stuff is wrong.
[/quote]

You speak with such confidence in your own words, the statement, "if you know Jesus truely, you will not remain Catholic for long" that is such a bold statement. You are going to get some people offended if you keep speaking this way. I absolutely can not see why people here can't respect other's beliefs. Wouldn't that be something to respect, something honorable?

The fact that some of us believe in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament is based souly on what we were taught. What we we were taught by Jesus through the Catholic church. What more can we say? We recieve Him in the Eucharist, this is what we believe, are you trying to change out outlook on this? God Bless,
uruviel

Oratio Fatimae (The Fatima Prayer)

Domine Iesu, dimitte nobis debita nostra, salva nos ab igne inferiori, perduc in caelum omnes animas, praesertim eas, quae misericordiae tuae maxime indigent.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1058733' date='Sep 7 2006, 09:14 PM']
Christ found me when I was praying as an atheist at a Catholic Shrine. I was reborn mind and heart changed directions at that moment. I never felt so much joy and love in my life.
[/quote]
that's awesome ^_^

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Budge' post='1058738' date='Sep 7 2006, 08:21 PM']
I went from the UU back to the Catholic church for a short time before I was born again.

Who knows, anything could happen....

I'll pray that you come to know Jesus Christ alone for your salvation.

Then your life will really change.. :lol:

[url="http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html"]HOW TO BE SAVED IN JESUS CHRIST[/url]
[url="http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/salvation_webpages/12-put_all_your_faith_in_jesus.htm"]LINK[/url]
[/quote]

What the Bible Says, and what Catholics Believe...

To be saved, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31), but the Sacred Scriptures show other things you must also do to be saved.

You must endure to the end. Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13, Mark 13:13.

You must accept the Cross (suffering). Matthew 10:38, Matthew 16:24-25, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27.

You must be baptized with water. Mark 16:16, John 3:3-5 Titus 3:5, I Peter 3:20-21.

You must be a member in God's true church. Acts 2:47.

You must confess your sins. James 5:16, I John 1:9

You must keep the Commandments of God. Matthew 5:19-20, Matthew 7:21

You must heed the words of St. Peter, the first Pope. Acts 11:13-14, Acts 15:7.

You must eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ. John 6:51-58, I Corinthians 10:16, I Corinthians 11:23-29

[quote name='Budge' post='1058732' date='Sep 7 2006, 08:14 PM']
If you have faith in Jesus totally and alone, recieving him via FAITH, not wafer, knowing the true gospel that is based in Him rather then in working your way to heaven, then you would be saved.
[/quote]
John 6:54-56[quote]Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.[/quote]

Budge, do you think Mother Teresa was trying to work her way into Heaven? Do you think she didn't know Jesus? Are you certain the many Catholics who have died for Jesus the past 2000 years didn't know Him?

What more could Jesus have possibly said in John chapter 6 for you to believe that His flesh is true food and His blood is true drink, and that you must eat it to have life within you?

What was the point of the last supper if it was not our partaking in the covenant? When else was Jesus ever so wishy-washy as to command us to eat some bread and grape juice and just think, oh yeah Jesus really was great? I mean come on, that's pretty wimpy for a guy like Jesus. What's the point if it doesn't actually mean anything. Jesus just doesn't command us to do things for appearance sake. It has to mean something.

In the old covenant anyone who refused to partake of the sacrificial lamb cut himself off from the covenant with God. The last supper is the fulfillment of the passover, and Jesus is the lamb. To call Him a liar and say I will not partake of this passover is to say you don't want the unity with Him that the new covenant offers.

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='Budge' post='1058738' date='Sep 7 2006, 08:21 PM']
The Pope CANNOT save you. The priest CANNOT forgive your sins. Only Jesus CAN save you and forgive your sins.[/quote]
John 20:22-23[quote]When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. [b]Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.[/b][/quote]
Christ forgives through the agency of the priest.
If Christ did not wish men to have any agency in the forgiveness of sins, Christ's words to His apostles here become nonsensical.

Catholics use the same verses over and over.

You know after I became a Christian, I realized how proof texting and taking things out of the Bible out of context was a bad idea. Christians learn to take one verse and find others to match it and interpret it. One can find amazing things in the Bible that way. I learned about the "Captain of the Hosts" last night and who that truly is. God has done amazing things in showing me His Word.

Im going to post a study I did on my board, that outlines what I believe about John 6 and how one is to truly receive Jesus Christ.

In the Catholic Church no one is taught they have to be saved in Christ. Even Commitment to Christ is seen as mostly done through sacraments.

Catholics dont know the real meaning of this:

"I am the living bread ([b]JESUS IS THE LIVING BREAD[/b]) which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." () The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, [b]WHAT JESUS DID ON THE CROSS-HIS SACRIFICE ON THE CROSS[/b]saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" ([b]THESE JEWS DIDNT UNDERSTAND AND CERTAINLY DIDNT KNOW THAT CHRIST WOULD GOING TO THE CROSS[/b]) Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." (John 6:51-55).

Jesus is definitely speaking in spiritual terms.

[size=4]Does this verse mean someone is actually supposed to go eat paper and ink?[/size]
[font="Arial Black"]
Moreover He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll (Ezekiel 3:1, 2).[/font]

Think on this one...EAT THE WORD.

Who is THE WORD...but Jesus.

These are deep spiritual things.
[size=4]
Does this verse mean that God will actually make someone eat a tree risking splinters?[/size]

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;[font="Arial Black"] To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life[/font], which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

1Cr 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

Psa 127:2 [It is] vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: [for] so he giveth his beloved sleep.
[font="Arial Black"]
EATING HAS A SPIRITUAL MEANING IN THE BIBLE!!!!! There are times it means literally eating but many many times it means SPIRITUAL EATING.[/font]

www.blueletterbible.org/t...-7724.html

Jesus says this later during loaves and fishes miracle..."you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. [size=5]Do not labor for food which perishes, but for food which endures to everlasting life." (HE IS THAT FOOD NOT THE EUCHARIST WAFER)[/size]

The true meaning of *eating* of the flesh and blood of Jesus is SPIRITUAL!

DO NOT LABOR FOR FOOD {wafers} that PERISHES.

[i]Catholics use the same verses over and over.

You know after I became a Christian, I realized how proof texting and taking things out of the Bible out of context was a bad idea. Christians learn to take one verse and find others to match it and interpret it. One can find amazing things in the Bible that way. I learned about the "Captain of the Hosts" last night and who that truly is. God has done amazing things in showing me His Word.

Im going to post a study I did on my board, that outlines what I believe about John 6 and how one is to truly receive Jesus Christ.

In the Catholic Church no one is taught they have to be saved in Christ. Even Commitment to Christ is seen as mostly done through sacraments.

Catholics dont know the real meaning of this:

"I am the living bread (JESUS IS THE LIVING BREAD) which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." () The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, WHAT JESUS DID ON THE CROSS-HIS SACRIFICE ON THE CROSSsaying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" (THESE JEWS DIDNT UNDERSTAND AND CERTAINLY DIDNT KNOW THAT CHRIST WOULD GOING TO THE CROSS) Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." (John 6:51-55).

Jesus is definitely speaking in spiritual terms.

Does this verse mean someone is actually supposed to go eat paper and ink?

Moreover He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll (Ezekiel 3:1, 2).

Think on this one...EAT THE WORD.

Who is THE WORD...but Jesus.

These are deep spiritual things.

Does this verse mean that God will actually make someone eat a tree risking splinters?

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

1Cr 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

Psa 127:2 [It is] vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: [for] so he giveth his beloved sleep.

EATING HAS A SPIRITUAL MEANING IN THE BIBLE!!!!! There are times it means literally eating but many many times it means SPIRITUAL EATING.

www.blueletterbible.org/t...-7724.html

Jesus says this later during loaves and fishes miracle..."you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for food which perishes, but for food which endures to everlasting life." (HE IS THAT FOOD NOT THE EUCHARIST WAFER)

The true meaning of *eating* of the flesh and blood of Jesus is SPIRITUAL!

DO NOT LABOR FOR FOOD {wafers} that PERISHES.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[/i]
That's why He let the people leave and didn't clarify it was spiritual and not actual.

Ocean front property in AAAARIIIIZONAAA....

Exactly Winchester

All you've shown is personal conjecture Budge. "Jesus is definitely speaking in spiritual terms". What evidence do you have of that? Don't get me wrong Budgie, I used to think in your terms. But then I accepted the fact that all I was offering was opinion. Nothing about it was critical thinking. Once I applied some critical thinking to it, I realized how wrong I was. From a contextual aspect, if this was a metaphor, why didn't the people who heard it, understand it to be allegorical? Why were they asking questions?

There is no evidence that he was speaking metaphorically or that it was to be understood metaphorically.

[quote]"Jesus is definitely speaking in spiritual terms". What evidence do you have of that? Don't get me wrong Budgie, I used to think in your terms. But then I accepted the fact that all I was offering was opinion. Nothing about it was critical thinking. Once I applied some critical thinking to it, I realized how wrong I was. From a contextual aspect, if this was a metaphor, why didn't the people who heard it, understand it to be allegorical? Why were they asking questions?

There is no evidence that he was speaking metaphorically or that it was to be understood metaphorically.[/quote]

I just showed you verses about scrolls being eaten, does that mean you take those verses literally as well, that someone was chomping down on some paper?

I'm still trying to understand your thoughts on scripture. Sometimes you claim that they are literal, and sometimes symbolic. I think you are confusing yourself, which happens when you try justify every false interpretation with another false interpretation.

[quote name='Budge' post='1059099' date='Sep 8 2006, 02:23 PM']
I just showed you verses about scrolls being eaten, does that mean you take those verses literally as well, that someone was chomping down on some paper?
[/quote]

See this is what happens when you don't have the first inkling of theological training. Let's take a look at your "examples" of metaphors

From a contextual standpoint, you're literally crossing over hundreds of years and culture. Your assumption is that words and their interpretations won't change over the course of that time. And you'd be wrong. There are dozens of examples of how words evolve in the course of Old Testament to New.

See Budgie you'd be much better comparing Jesus to himself! That would at least make a more coherent argument! For example when Jesus is talking about Judgement Day and he's going to gather all the sheep to his right and all the goats to his left. Are we all going to be sheep and goats?

See now there's a better example!! (Man I hate having to argue both sides. Its sooooo taxing)