Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Getting Sick From Mass?


Recommended Posts

Confessionator741
Posted

i found this letter to the editor in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette...

I find the person to be toooooooooooooo picky, i mean really, if I die/get sick from recieving the the Eucharist (which im not so sure that God would even allow that, or even think it) then i cant think of a better go....

In my opinion, this wierdo is wierd...

B

Mass and health risks

Are Catholics who attend Mass exposed to health risks? The Mass in its present form, where personal contact between virtual strangers is integral, possible health risks abound.

One example is the shaking of hands. Some in attendance may not practice optimum personnel hygiene following use of the toilet. Others may currently be infected with the highly contagious rhinovirus (common cold).

Another example is allowing the option of the priest or Eucharistic minister to place the communion host directly on the tongue of the recipient. The probability is high that, at some point, the priest or Eucharistic minister will contaminate his or her fingers with saliva, thereby contaminating each successive host he or she touches. Also, drinking the wine and water from a common shared cup violates all rules of good sanitation and is obviously laden with health risks.

The recent outbreak of hepatitis was a good example of what a virulent virus on the loose can do. The flu season is off to a fast start and could be severe and widespread. Public health officials say a pandemic could occur.

In light of these facts, I recently raised the question of health risks and the Mass with the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Neither saw any problem and gave little or no credence to my concerns.

The spokesmen for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops wrote, and I quote, "It certainly is worth the risk of getting the common cold to be able to join in the celebration of the Mass."

It is impossible to know if or how many people become sick after attending Mass, but the avenues for transmitting viruses and pathogens are definitely present. To not take steps to modify these practices in an effort to reduce health risks, and protect those who attend Mass, would show church leadership to be both irresponsible and negligent.

DON SCHWARTZMILLER

Mt. Lebanon

Posted

Wow, I take it that guy isn't catholic!

Posted (edited)

i wonder if thisguy is catholic. i have asked myself the same question before, but i got over it because i, like Confessionator741, doubt He'd want us to get sick. And i doubt he is catholic because he seemed to overlook the statement about risking a cold for mass and the eucharist.

Edited by CICCIO
Confessionator741
Posted

I dunno if hes catholic or not...im supposing not, i mean if he was, i would have to guess that he would just smell of elderberries it up and deal with it...i mean....i couldnt find a better way to get sick.

you can get just as sick from opening a door, or flipping a light switch, or even touching a table......

B

Posted

i sort of pick up a lack of understanding that Jesus is present in the bread and wind as the body and blood.

Posted

It's Christ's body and blood, I'm sure he won't let us get sick from recieving him!

Posted

he doesn't even know Catholocism.

no Catholic has ever drank wine and water from a chalice during Mass.

^_^ :P

Posted

he doesn't even know Catholocism.

no Catholic has ever drank wine and water from a chalice during Mass.

^_^ :P

oh, and PLUS,,, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "EUCHARISTIC MINISTER"!!!!

<extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist>

Confessionator741
Posted

agree 100%.... i mean c'mon...really...get real! it is truely the Body and Blood of Christ, and if Christ's Body and Blood can heal, then they sure wont condem to sickness...

Posted

See, I have proclaimed each day my Catholic faith, but yet i'm not CHURCH FAITHFUL!

Confessionator741
Posted (edited)

he doesn't even know Catholocism.

no Catholic has ever drank wine and water from a chalice during Mass.

oh, and PLUS,,, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "EUCHARISTIC MINISTER"!!!!

<extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist>

^_^  :P

Al i love it! to tell you the truth, i didnt even pick up on the "wine" part!

o man, shows how good'a reader i am............. lol

(but then again, i wasnt the one with a 1300)HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i love the quote up top! :rolleyes: (not rolling eyes, looking up, lol)

B

Edited by Confessionator741
IcePrincessKRS
Posted

haha I agree with the USCCB. What a great answer. I mean, Jesus got nailed to a cross, I think we can handle a sunffy nose.

Which reminds me... When I was in NY for Christmas my 5 year old brother, Jimmy was jabbering away talking to me and says, "Jesus died on the cross ya know."

"Yes, I know," I said.

Jimmy continued, "Why did He have to die?"

"So we could go to heaven."

"They nailed Him onto the cross. I know why they did that, do you?"

"Why honey?"

"So that He would stay up."

Stifling laughter at such an adorably logical answer coming from his sweet little self, "Yup, you're very smart to think of that."

And then he went on to jabber about something completely unrelated.

Yes, getting a snuffy nose is worth it. I'd say its not near sacrifice enough, but we offer up what we can, eh?

Confessionator741
Posted

sounds like a cute kid...smart one too!!!

of course, getting sick is the least of the sacrifices....

geetarplayer
Posted

When my mom lived in a house across the street from the military base, her grandfather would cross the street every day to go to the base chapel. It was a four-lane highway with a speed limit of 50 MPH. He wouldn't even look to cross the street, he'd just kind of start walking across. Once my mom asked her mom (my grandmother) if she was worried about him getting hit by a car. My grandmother replied, "Well, if a car does kill him, it will have either been on his way to Mass or on his way from Mass, so I'm not really worried."

-Mark

Confessionator741
Posted

o man, thats faith............

B

Posted

When my mom lived in a house across the street from the military base, her grandfather would cross the street every day to go to the base chapel. It was a four-lane highway with a speed limit of 50 MPH. He wouldn't even look to cross the street, he'd just kind of start walking across. Once my mom asked her mom (my grandmother) if she was worried about him getting hit by a car. My grandmother replied, "Well, if a car does kill him, it will have either been on his way to Mass or on his way from Mass, so I'm not really worried."

-Mark

:D I like that!

Posted

haha I agree with the USCCB. What a great answer. I mean, Jesus got nailed to a cross, I think we can handle a sunffy nose.

Which reminds me... When I was in NY for Christmas my 5 year old brother, Jimmy was jabbering away talking to me and says, "Jesus died on the cross ya know."

"Yes, I know," I said.

Jimmy continued, "Why did He have to die?"

"So we could go to heaven."

"They nailed Him onto the cross. I know why they did that, do you?"

"Why honey?"

"So that He would stay up."

Stifling laughter at such an adorably logical answer coming from his sweet little self, "Yup, you're very smart to think of that."

And then he went on to jabber about something completely unrelated.

Yes, getting a snuffy nose is worth it. I'd say its not near sacrifice enough, but we offer up what we can, eh?

that's oddly hilarious! ^_^

cmotherofpirl
Posted

Our Post Gazette is a liberal newspaper, but even I am surprised at this letter.

THey are usually careful what they say, because we have a large Catholic and Democratic population here, and Bishop Weurl is not a liberal.

THe GReensburg Tribune Review is our conservative paper.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

Wow, I take it that guy isn't catholic!

I think he is Lutheran.

Posted

I imagine this guy being really nerdy and having a high-pitched nasal voice. He wears rubber gloves everywhere he goes and doesn't think it's strange that Michael Jackson would wear a surgical mask. He looks kind of like this: :nerd: He's appalled that no one takes him seriously, and he wears pantaloons that are pulled up really high.

Hehehe.. Is that a person attack? I'm innocent, I swear! :whistle:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...