An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1065101' date='Sep 17 2006, 11:22 AM']
Go to our "Aspirant Update" page on our website (under "SOLC Foundations"). We have a large (sorry!) pic of OP sisters with dress-cape postulant.

Since we're going to be Traddie, the "old fashioned" look is for us!!!

[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

+

Cool. Thanks Gemma. She even has a rosary on her belt (I presume).

puellapaschalis

I have doubts (although who am I to even have opinions on clothes I don't wear?) about whether a postulant outfit should look "like a habit". They're not yet invested, after all, and so it wouldn't be appropriate for their clothes to look like a habit.

On the other hand, I do think it's a good thing for them to have some sort of "uniform". In a Western culture which is pretty hard to shake off in order to live a Christian life, let alone one that is deepened to such an extent that someone plucks up the courage to enter, some sort of recognition in the form of a way of dress can be a great support.

I think that out of the postulant uniforms I've seen, I'd "prefer" that of the Dominicans in Lockport. I'd like OLAM's dresses more if they were longer - but I am a person who thinks anything shorter than ankle length (yes, even for people as tall as VA) is bordering on scandalous (if it weren't for some religious- and corset-related issues, I do believe I'd fit in rather well into Victorian society).

Love and prayers,

PP

AlterDominicus

You know, actually just to dodge to the actual habit, I couldnt help but laugh. The FSGM's habit is seven pockets...can you imagnine having seven pockets, I mean pants usually have 4! But seven, that includes the sleeves...its funny.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

OK. I guess I can't get around using photobucket!
Here is the photo of our postulants.
[img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/smcatharine/postulants_house.jpg[/img]

I looked at Lockport's postulant jumper and I dont' quite see what is all that different except I think they have a belt and it is a little bit longer than ours.

We changed to blue from black in honor of our Lady.

In the old days the postulants wore a frilly bonnet! Now, if people really wanted to be traddie they should wear that! :P:
If you've seen pictures of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity as a postulant than you know what I mean!

Edited by Sr. Mary Catharine

puellapaschalis

I actually have a jumper[US-term]-related question that is thus slightly off topic, but it's been burning away in my head for a while. The thing is that I feel it's slightly ridiculous and probably not for the eyes of gentlemen to read. So, um, what do I do? Should I PM Sr. Mary Catherine and ask her? (Sr., please forgive me talking about you in the third person...)

:idontknow:

Love and prayers,

PP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1065223' date='Sep 17 2006, 05:14 PM']
I actually have a jumper[US-term]-related question that is thus slightly off topic, but it's been burning away in my head for a while. The thing is that I feel it's slightly ridiculous and probably not for the eyes of gentlemen to read. So, um, what do I do? Should I PM Sr. Mary Catherine and ask her? (Sr., please forgive me talking about you in the third person...)

:idontknow:

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

Sure, why not?! :D:

[quote name='HisChild' post='1065012' date='Sep 17 2006, 09:56 AM']
I don't think they need to be necessarily more aesthetically pleasing, but I think wearing a veil, even a shorter one, such as the one that many of the cloistered orders wear, helps the postulant to feel more that she's a community member, even though she isn't 'officially' a member of the community until she's a novice. (see the PCPA websites for postulant pics, such as www.desertnuns.com or www.stjosephmonastery.com or the PCPA postulant pics above) The old DCJ outfits were awesome (I saw them in old photos.) They had a caplet and veil. And the cape was long enough to be able to tuck your hands under as you walked.

It's also such a penance to have to 'do' your hair every morning if you don't have something to tuck it under. It was difficult, at least for me, with curly hair, to try to make it look non-frizzy and neat (as in, not sloppy). I felt so fortunate, when I was able to wear a veil, because I could just hide my hair!
[/quote]

When I was looking to enter religious life, I like the idea of a small veil for a postulant because I too have unruly hair that would be so much easier to just hide under a veil. That way I would have to fight with it all day to keep it down.

Julie, a tonsure is the bald spot with the ring of hair that some monastic communities still do, like the Benedictines. That's what a zucchetto is for, to keep that bald spot warm. ^_^

I don't think it really matters.... after all, you are only going to be wearing it for up to one year! I do think that uniformity is important though, I think that it probably enhances a sense of belonging, helps develop one's community spirit?

I don't have a favourite postulant outfit, hehe! I like the thought of wearing a short veil, but my hair is long and slightly wavy so it's pretty easy to keep under control!

[quote name='DAF' post='1065394' date='Sep 17 2006, 05:45 PM']
Julie, a tonsure is the bald spot with the ring of hair that some monastic communities still do, like the Benedictines. That's what a zucchetto is for, to keep that bald spot warm. ^_^
[/quote]

+

:lol: Thanks!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Gemma' post='1065321' date='Sep 17 2006, 06:55 PM']
Frilly bonnet? I've never seen that! I've seen lots of other "veils" on postulants, though.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Can you imagine! our postulants wore it til about the late 40's. From pictures I've seen from other monasteries this seems to have been the norm. Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity wore one with a veil. It looked like some sort of widow's weed type thing! Ours didn't have a veil, it was just a frilly bonnet. I wish I could find a picture.

I don't know where people got the idea that the postulant cape was a "practice garb" for the habit because I've yet to see a novice who didn't practically have her hands glued under her scapular from the 1st minute. In fact, you can always tell new novices because they are so good at it! :P:

I know several traditional communites and none wear a cape; most wear a jumper...oops. SLEEVELESS DRESS for our friendly Brits....the only group I know of is the CMRI's and they aren't in the Church.

I like the cape myself but as I look back on all the stuff I did as a postulant I think it would have been in the way most of the time. I probably would've gotten it stuck in the offset press! :shock:

God bless you!
SMC

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1065812' date='Sep 18 2006, 08:52 AM']
I don't know where people got the idea that the postulant cape was a "practice garb" for the habit because I've yet to see a novice who didn't practically have her hands glued under her scapular from the 1st minute. In fact, you can always tell new novices because they are so good at it! :P:
[/quote]
A slightly off topic question for Sister.... is it just "sisterly culture" (ie the norm) for hands to be kept under the scapular? Or, is there some deep theological reasoning? :detective: I've often wondered why sisters' hands are always under their scapulars, and now I can finally ask why!

Thanks for humoring me! ^_^