An Old School Catholic Message Board

Want A Fried Coke With That?

cappie

Want a fried Coke with that?

From correspondents in Chicago

October 17, 2006 12:00
Article from: Agence France-Presse

FRIED Coke has become the latest artery-clogging hit at US state fairs.

The gooey Coke-battered nuggets topped with cola syrup won the "most creative" title at the Texas state fair in Dallas last month.

Since then, the deep-fried phenomenon has spread to North Carolina and Arizona.

"We've been getting calls from everywhere since we introduced it," Elizabeth Martin, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina fair, told the Dallas Morning News.

"Everyone wants to know where they can get it."

Fried treats are as big of a draw at state fairs as the rides and prize-winning farm animals.

Twinkies, cookies and even pickles are stuck with a stick, dipped in batter and then seared in the deep fryer.

Fried Coke's inventor, concessionaire Abel Gonzales Jr, is a creative fryer whose experiments have proven popular.

Last year, he sold 20,000 fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwiches, the Morning News reported.

Fried Coke looks to be an even bigger hit: he sold 16,000 cups of the sticky balls in the first two weeks of the fair, which runs through to October 22.

Mr Gonzales has also had more success with changing his recipe than Coca Cola did.

He reworked the recipe to make the dough less cakey and more spongy so it would soak up more of the cola syrup.

"They were good before, but they are even better now," Mr Gonzales said.

[url="http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20595123-5001028,00.html"]http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001028,00.html[/url]

homeschoolmom
:pinch:

So, my deep-fried cigarettes wasn't such a stupid idea after all? I'll be setting up a booth next year at the fair.

Pontifite 7 of 10

Wow,
just wow.
Whats next?
Deep-Fried...tacos, so very tasty and good for you,?
Actually that might be good.
I'm patoning it!

Edited by Pontifite 7 of 10

franciscanheart

I'm going to the fair (State Fair of Texas) tomorrow (Wednesday) and I might just have to TRY this. It seems so different from everything else we've had featured before. Should be interesting...

then I'll get my fav... FUNNEL CAKE! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

franciscanheart

[quote name='dUSt' post='1093859' date='Oct 17 2006, 09:18 AM']
Taco Bueno sells fried cheesecake taquitos.

They are so tasty.
[/quote]
Ew, really? :pinch: I knew there was a reason I avoided that place.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1093674' date='Oct 17 2006, 12:54 AM']
I'm going to the fair (State Fair of Texas) tomorrow (Wednesday) and I might just have to TRY this. It seems so different from everything else we've had featured before. Should be interesting...
then I'll get my fav... FUNNEL CAKE! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9:
[/quote]
mmm, funnel cake

I missed getting that at the MN state fair this year, but I did have mini donuts, which were quite tasty