An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tell Me A Little About New York City

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

It's late at night here in England... I've been waiting for what seems like ages for a London job interview. In case it doesn't work out and I go back to the U.S., in the immediate future I will be living in the Seattle area, which is home base. But the idea of living in New York keeps coming up in my head. I guess the fact that there are a lot of strong Catholic communities there appeals to me, and what's more it's a great place to be if you work in the publishing and arts business. But I'm not set and sold on it or anything, I'm just curious. Seattle being the place where my family is may be too strong of a pull for me to move but it never hurts to ask around, eh?

What areas in NYC are cheaper to rent? Any suburbs that might be of interest for commuting? What areas are the worst/most dangerous to avoid?

I only have about a month left here in England and sadly, if I have to come home my boyfriend and I have decided we will have to call it quits and it doesn't look good for us now. :( I will accept whatever God has planned for me but please keep my situation in your prayers and that God sends a little sunshine my way sometime soon in any case.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Here I saw "New York" in the topic title and thought I'd be able to tell you something. :lol: My relatives live in upstate NY, which is about as back-country as Maine (although mid-upper NY does have some ginormous cities like Syracuse, etc). I don't think information on that would be particularly helpful to someone wanting to go to NYC, however. :lol:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1098705' date='Oct 22 2006, 08:42 PM']
It's late at night here in England... I've been waiting for what seems like ages for a London job interview. In case it doesn't work out and I go back to the U.S., in the immediate future I will be living in the Seattle area, which is home base. But the idea of living in New York keeps coming up in my head. I guess the fact that there are a lot of strong Catholic communities there appeals to me, and what's more it's a great place to be if you work in the publishing and arts business. But I'm not set and sold on it or anything, I'm just curious. Seattle being the place where my family is may be too strong of a pull for me to move but it never hurts to ask around, eh?

What areas in NYC are cheaper to rent? Any suburbs that might be of interest for commuting? What areas are the worst/most dangerous to avoid?

I only have about a month left here in England and sadly, if I have to come home my boyfriend and I have decided we will have to call it quits and it doesn't look good for us now. :( I will accept whatever God has planned for me but please keep my situation in your prayers and that God sends a little sunshine my way sometime soon in any case.
[/quote]
Know this is none of my business, but is your boyfriend in England? I was under the impression that he was in the States, but maybe I misunderstood something. (Just trying to make some sense of your situation.)

Sorry I can't tell you much about New York, but I do love [i]The Good, The Bad, & the Ugly[/i]!

Edited by Socrates

littleflower+JMJ

oh you know who lives in New York City? Carrie, shes one of the older phatmassers but I'm sure you can still contact her. She really loves that place too.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I scored a $250 pair of watches for $5. I think it was in Time Square. I consider myself a savvy shopper.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='thedude' post='1098824' date='Oct 23 2006, 12:50 AM']
I scored a $250 pair of watches for $5. I think it was in Time Square. I consider myself a savvy shopper.
[/quote]

I read that as 250 (as in quantity) watches for $5.

I was wondering how many wrists you had there for a second. :hehe:

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1098825' date='Oct 23 2006, 01:53 AM']
I was wondering how many wrists you had there for a second. :hehe:
[/quote]
More than you know... :detective:

Hmm... Housing in New York... [i]It is easier for a camel to...[/i] Well, maybe it's not that bad. If you are serious about finding a place in New York, you gotta look long and hard and never give up. It's difficult to find a place... What's cheaper? The bad neighborhoods are cheaper, neighborhoods like Harlem. Hmm... The upside? [i]Many [/i]people commute into the city from New Jersey, Westchester County, and Long Island, so it's not too much of a stretch to get a place there.

I'm a resident at Fordham University, and so I'm not really able to give you good tips on finding an apartment. It's definitely easier to find places if you've got a roommate to share the rent, though. The YWCA also rents rooms too.

Catholicism in New York... To me, it's the closest thing to Rome you're going to get in the States, at least with the vibrant varieties that there are... I'm talking Eastern Rites, EWTN celebrities, good Jesuits, lay movements, Hispanic processions, Franciscan Friars, beautiful liturgies of all kinds, as well as plenty of liberals/progressives/heretics to change things up a bit, all surrounded by secularism and sin --> [b]sign of contradiction[/b].... I've never been to other American cities, but the Church in New York is really something special, something to be witnessed.

So, I recommend giving it your best shot to be able to live in the Capital of the World. It's definitely not easy to find a place, but it's also not impossible.

littleflower+JMJ

oh i just thought of another phatmasser who I think goes to college in nyc. i think he's name is raph? I think I have him on my aol buddy list, I could ask him for ya.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Socrates' post='1098790' date='Oct 22 2006, 10:39 PM']
Know this is none of my business, but is your boyfriend in England? I was under the impression that he was in the States, but maybe I misunderstood something. (Just trying to make some sense of your situation.)
[/quote]

Well, it's easy to confuse people because it's a long complicated story I'd rather not get into on here. :detective: He's on the mainland (Europe) at the moment, not England.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

franciscanheart

[quote name='Antonius' post='1098833' date='Oct 23 2006, 12:16 AM']
Catholicism in New York... To me, it's the closest thing to Rome you're going to get in the States, at least with the vibrant varieties that there are... I'm talking Eastern Rites, EWTN celebrities, good Jesuits, lay movements, Hispanic processions, Franciscan Friars [b]and Sisters![/b], beautiful liturgies of all kinds, as well as plenty of liberals/progressives/heretics to change things up a bit, all surrounded by secularism and sin --> sign of contradiction.... I've never been to other American cities, but the Church in New York is really something special, something to be witnessed.
[/quote]
I bolded the part I added. :D: