An Old School Catholic Message Board

Byzantine Catholics - "uniates"

Guest authio

So...for all you Byz Catholics out there... why do some of the Uniates out here in my town call themselves "Orthodox?"

'Cause you're not.... and I'd be willing to discuss why.....

So - why is that?

Just a quick word,

You might want to clarify what you mean by Uniate. Many Byzantines don't like that terminology. It is a little overbearing and also inaccurate.

The proper terminology is "Sui Juris." It means, "of one's own right." The Byzantines certainly exist in their own tradition, and are not part of the Latin Rite, so they are not Uniates, but rather they are their own tradition while holding the Pontiff as the Supreme Head of the Church and all that is associated with him.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1104767' date='Oct 30 2006, 12:36 AM']
Might depend on what they mean by orthodox. Orthodox as in "Eastern"? Or orthodox as in faithful to Catholic doctrine?
[/quote]

I'm not sure. Many a sui juris tell me that they're orthodox - but they're not part of the Orthodox Church! I'm just not getting it.....

[quote name='authio' post='1105058' date='Oct 30 2006, 01:19 PM']
I'm not sure. Many a sui juris tell me that they're orthodox - but they're not part of the Orthodox Church! I'm just not getting it.....
[/quote]I'm not Orthodox, but I'm orthodox.

-------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1105860' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:13 PM']
I'm not Orthodox, but I'm orthodox.

-------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!
[/quote]

:blowkiss:

Greek Orthodoxy is a schismatic sect which broke off from Rome in 1054.

Orthodoxy is the state of confessing and believing all the Dogmata and teachings of the One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church and obeying His Holiness the Pope and the other Lawful Pators.

Just read your sig. "What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant?" What's your answer?

Edited by Katholikos

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1106207' date='Oct 31 2006, 12:45 PM']
Greek Orthodoxy is a schismatic [b]sect which broke off [/b] from Rome in 1054.

Orthodoxy is the state of confessing and believing all the Dogmata and teachings of the One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church and obeying His Holiness the Pope and the other Lawful Pators.
[/quote]

woah...do you read? :idontknow:

No offense, but L_D or the other guy who helped with filioque wanna spank him?

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1106349' date='Oct 31 2006, 12:07 PM']
woah...do you read? :idontknow:

No offense, but L_D or the other guy who helped with filioque wanna spank him?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's pretty much what we are - schistmatics. Even though my parish is Russian, we read an anathema for the pope every time we meet, and we're filled with vengence and hatred.

If only we were Roman.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1106207' date='Oct 31 2006, 01:45 PM']
Greek Orthodoxy is a schismatic sect which broke off from Rome in 1054.

[/quote]

You mean Roman Catholicism is a schismatic sect which broke of from Orthodoxy in 1054 don't you? :P:

[quote]You mean Roman Catholicism is a schismatic sect which broke of from Orthodoxy in 1054 don't you? P.gif[/quote]

Are you Greek Orthodox?

[quote]Yeah, that's pretty much what we are - schistmatics. Even though my parish is Russian, we read an anathema for the pope every time we meet, and we're filled with vengence and hatred.

If only we were Roman.[/quote]

You're Russian Orthodox? You anathamise the Pope?

[quote]oah...do you read? idontknow.gif

No offense, but L_D or the other guy who helped with filioque wanna spank him?[/quote]

You don't read? What's that supposed to mean?

The Filioque was a necessary addition to the Creed that is found in Tradition and Scripture.

[quote]Just read your sig. "What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant?" What's your answer?[/quote]

[quote name='The Catechism']32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

33 Q. Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?
A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her.[/quote]

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='authio' post='1106970' date='Oct 31 2006, 09:28 PM']
Yeah, that's pretty much what we are - schistmatics. Even though my parish is Russian, we read an anathema for the pope every time we meet, and we're filled with vengence and hatred.

If only we were Roman.
[/quote]
Is this sarcasm? :idontknow:

Edited by thedude