An Old School Catholic Message Board

Byzantine Catholics - "uniates"

Guest authio

[quote]QUOTE(The Catechism)[/quote]Which Catechism? There was a time in history when this would have been wise advice.

------------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1106207' date='Oct 31 2006, 12:45 PM']
Greek Orthodoxy is a schismatic sect which broke off from Rome in 1054.

Orthodoxy is the state of confessing and believing all the Dogmata and teachings of the One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church and obeying His Holiness the Pope and the other Lawful Pators.
[/quote]

STM, I would point you toward [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint_en.html"]Ut Unum Sint[/url]. This is a VERY important document in understanding the Church's current position toward the Orthodox.

I would also point you to [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html"]Unitatis Redintegratio[/url].

The language which you use is quite inflammatory and I would counsel that you tone it down. It is that type of attitude that promotes the disharmony. You have to remember that from the Orthodox point of view, Roman Catholics are exommunicated. As the excommunications were leveled at one another.

Once you read these documents, I believe that you will have a much better understanding of the Catholic position on Ecumenism. I will also make this comment, PLEASE don't confuse Ecumenism with Evangelization. Many persons do....ECUMENISM is dealing solely with the Orthodox. EVANGELIZATION is dealing with non-Christians. When we deal with Protestants, we are CATECHIZING. Those are important distinctions to make. You may not like the differentiation, but then again, it really isn't up to you to like it or dislike it, but rather to accept it, because it is how the Church determines the bodies of peoples that it deals with. These terms are often times interchanged, even from those very high up and it is incorrect. The proper terminology is what is given above.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Cam42' post='1107531' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:57 PM']
When we deal with Protestants, we are CATECHIZING.
[/quote]

Just curious, are there things in the Tradition which over time have gotten less attention in Catholicism than
within Catholicism during the time of the early Church?

Could there be instances of when Protestants are dealing with Catholics that the Protestants are catechizing the Catholics?
Or, would it such a thought be impossible?

[quote name='HS_Dad' post='1128562' date='Nov 26 2006, 09:25 PM']
Just curious, are there things in the Tradition which over time have gotten less attention in Catholicism than
within Catholicism during the time of the early Church?

Could there be instances of when Protestants are dealing with Catholics that the Protestants are catechizing the Catholics?
Or, would it such a thought be impossible?
[/quote]

I am not really sure what you are getting at with the question, but I suppose there are things that get less attention, because they are fully understood, at least during this time. In other words, there are aspects of Tradition that are fully accepted and require no more explaination, just continual teaching and re-affirming.

And to the second part of your question, that is impossible, because Protestants cannot catechize, they don't hold the fullness of the Truth. One cannot catechize with heresy, which is precisely what Protestantism is.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Cam42' post='1107531' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:57 PM']

Once you read these documents, I believe that you will have a much better understanding of the Catholic position on Ecumenism. I will also make this comment, PLEASE don't confuse Ecumenism with Evangelization. Many persons do....ECUMENISM is dealing solely with the Orthodox. EVANGELIZATION is dealing with non-Christians. When we deal with Protestants, we are CATECHIZING. Those are important distinctions to make. You may not like the differentiation, but then again, it really isn't up to you to like it or dislike it, but rather to accept it, because it is how the Church determines the bodies of peoples that it deals with. These terms are often times interchanged, even from those very high up and it is incorrect. The proper terminology is what is given above.
[/quote]

Do you have any official writing on this? I know numerous protestant theologians that teach Ut Unum Sint is aimed towards them and even read it in class. I would appreciate any help

oh, and I think we can learn things from protesatants, just as we can learn from any brother in the faith. It does not mean they have the complete truth. Just a good insight now and then