Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Are So Cruel


Recommended Posts

franciscanheart
Posted

I was watching the news last night and the first story was about a little girl from Mexico with a leg deformity. Her legs began to curve in at only a few months of age and now, at age 10 or 12 (I can't remember), she was going to walk for the first time. She was happy when the interview started, talking about her family and saying that the first thing she wanted to do was go to church and thank God for healing her.

:sadder: Isn't that beautiful? I cried.

But then her face quickly scrunched up and she began to cry heartily, recalling how mean the children at school were to her. And then I lost it. This little girl, so beautiful and so obviously right with the Lord, was being picked on because she suffered a physical deformity. Oh I was so sad. How it tugged at my heart! :sadder: I wanted to jump through the screen and hug her.

My sister and some of her friends have struggled with bullies at school. For some reason, even at her private Catholic school, there is a huge problem with bullying. And while I understand that these kids are young, how can they be so evil to each other? How could they make someone hurt like that?

Oh, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. :sadder:

And what's worse, parents have to see their kids suffering like this. How horrible it must be to have a child who suffers like this. :sadder:

Posted

Kids tease each other. It's just what they do. That being said, I sympathize totally. That is very sad...it does seem rather heartless to be teased for something that isn't your fault.

Posted

yeah it smells of elderberries

some kids are brats and need to be taught a lesson

Posted

OUr son, PDD-NOS and ADHD, is 13 with a social/emotional age of about 5, has had a horrible year getting teased. He is awkward, messy, childish, and some of the kids just do horrible things. He is so loving, kind, gentle and just doesn't understand why they do it, he knows he is different but just wants to be 'friends' with everyone. The worst thing he ever said was "Why do my friends be mean to me?"

Yes, as a parent is is a tough cross to bear.. :(

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='Kosh' post='1105741' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:39 PM']
Kids tease each other. It's just what they do. That being said, I sympathize totally. That is very sad...it does seem rather heartless to be teased for something that isn't your fault.
[/quote]
Teasing someone about a bad hair cut is one thing. Teasing them about a deformity that keeps them from walking is just evil.

This girl had obviously suffered from a severly depressing childhood at school. It's a good thing for her that she had a very loving family and siblings that did not cast her out. Some families don't care for their children or siblings like that. :ohno:

I don't think it's right to say that kids will be kids. Kids should not be evil. This is evil. :sadder:

[quote name='MRSannie' post='1105744' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:43 PM']
OUr son, PDD-NOS and ADHD, is 13 with a social/emotional age of about 5, has had a horrible year getting teased. He is awkward, messy, childish, and some of the kids just do horrible things. He is so loving, kind, gentle and just doesn't understand why they do it, he knows he is different but just wants to be 'friends' with everyone. The worst thing he ever said was "Why do my friends be mean to me?"

Yes, as a parent is is a tough cross to bear.. :(
[/quote]
:sadder: My heart breaks for you and for him. If I knew y'all, I'd be his friend. Oh that's so horrible... +Lord, have mercy. Bless your child.

Posted

original sin at work :(

Posted

Yes, you would love him! He is funny, and cute, and charming, knows EVERY baseball statistic every written (and some that are even NOT written every year, like the wives' maiden names or who so-and-so's dream date would be). Please pray for him tomorrow--it is his first morning as 'Manager' of the Basketball team for 8th grade--the coach is a saint who was willing to take this on, hopefully he will be able to do the work, and the payoff will be getting to keep stats on the players, who hopefully will connect with him because the stats are all about THEM. He needs lots of prayer!

Posted

I'm not saying it's not evil, I'm saying that it's basically inevitable.

Posted

It's sad but true. The kids on my bus do things like that. They sit and wait for "the mental lady" as they call a local handicap lady that walks the streets. If our bus goes by many of the kids will start to yell and point and make comments about her just because of her outfits. It's really mean. Not as mean as when they talk about the "pregnant little girl" that in reality is just a very large young girl (grade 5 or so). It's just really mean.

Posted

A lot of it is mob mentality, honestly (as is the case with much evil)

homeschoolmom
Posted

On the other hand, children can be among the more compassionate members of our society, too. I remember one time we were downtown and we drove past a homeless person with a sign. My daughter asked if we were going to stop. I said that we weren't. We were on our way to a fieldtrip... she was really sad the whole day and looked for him again when we passed by that way again. I think adults tend to be more even, while children are hills and valleys when it comes to compassion.

LuchaporElRey21
Posted

[quote name='curtins' post='1105742' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:39 PM']
yeah it smells of elderberries

some kids are brats and need to be taught a lesson
[/quote]


In the Old Testament, some kids were making fun of Elisha and he sic'ed some bears on them. I wouldn't recommend that.

But, all joking aside, bullying is an awful thing to go through. Thank God I never was really bullied in school, but I know some friends who were. Bad news. It is a hurtful situation, usually stemming from the parents relations with their children(the bullies). "the sins of the fathers.."

All we can do I guess is pray. :ohno: :idontknow:

Posted

there are some pretty mean kids. i think their parents need to do a better job of parenting <_<

Posted

For most of grade school, I was the wierd kid...I think I've managed to become a pretty respectable individual, and I've got an awesome crew of friends, but school was pretty miserable for me until I started homeschooling and taking classes at the best Catholic school in the states. I can very much sympathize...teasing, bullying, and general cruelity can make life a real pain.

My observation is that girls can be particularly nasty from about 4-6 grade, and for boys it's more 6-8th. I don't think I've met anyone outside of the aforementioned Catholic school who has many fond memories of junior high.

Posted

As a mom, I totally agree. Junior High should be made illegal, it hurts more people than some drugs!!

Our son is an easy target, but because his needs are so complicated we were unable to homeschool him. Unfortunately 'inclusion' is not always best for the parties involved---the special needs child, the other kids or the teachers. I pray he will come through this without too much damage.

The worst offender is the only child of two very unrealistic parents. The teachers have shared this with me, to help me have compassion on the offender. He is also a special needs kid, (not as severe as mine) but his folks INSIST he perform like a advanced child, put him through all kinds of expectations he cannot meet.


The goal in this life is NOT to get all 'A's' --it is to serve God and our fellow man in humility, which is done in different ways by different people differently gifted by our Creator!

Posted

Eh I used to beat up the bullies.....
does that make me a bully to bullies?
I felt like I was doing a community service for the rest of the kids.

Posted (edited)

As far as the school bullying: I was lucky enough that one of the vice prinicpals in my son's high school had a mother who was deaf so he was very sensitive to bullying and had zero tolerance. The middle school was awful. Looking back, I realize I made a mistake. My son deserved to be educated in a safe environment and the school district is obligated to provide that. I should have pushed really hard when there were problems. Alot of times, teachers/administrators seek to back parents into a corner because they don't want to deal with more problems or they don't feel they have the resources to deal with it.

One thing they do have here in this county is police resource officers in all the middle and high schools. They also have security cameras which are great [for instance when my son dropped a dime, a boy stepped on it and wouldn't let my son have it back. The boy was suspended for bullying and stealing after his mother watched the video.]

My son is now out of school so those years are behind him. In the end, school did little for him. He is happy with his life and that is that matters.

Edited by Mary-Kathryn
Posted

j0, K05h!

I'm all in favor of beating up bullies...in legitimate self-defense, of course :cool:.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...