Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Are So Cruel


Recommended Posts

franciscanheart
Posted

Just the opposite of that with me - I gained a handful of really supportive, really great friends.

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1114971' date='Nov 8 2006, 08:19 AM']
My kids know lots of kids with learning disabilities, physical challenges, and "behavior" problems. [b]They don't always know that they know kids with these issues-- it's not like they see them go off to the nurse for their meds at lunch each day or see that they only go to the "special" classroom. No. To my kids, they are just kids.[/b]
[/quote]


That's how it should be. Bravo. Homeschooling is the best. :clapping: Where else can you get wholesome teaching with a good helping of Catholicism mixed into every aspect? And don't tell me private Catholic school, cuz I've been there, and I learned diddly squat compared to what I ought to have known by Confirmation... things I probably would have learned if I had been homeschooled. I realized this before high school and begged to be homeschooled. No dice. Public high school was dreadful, I don't miss it one bit.

I was just telling a phellow PMer I'd even rather just read, read, read... and learn what I want to learn on my own or with a small group of people with the same interests, rather than continue wasting money at the community college I'm attending now.

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1115811' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:22 AM']
That's how it should be. Bravo. Homeschooling is the best. :clapping: Where else can you get wholesome teaching with a good helping of Catholicism mixed into every aspect? And don't tell me private Catholic school, cuz I've been there, and I learned diddly squat compared to what I ought to have known by Confirmation... things I probably would have learned if I had been homeschooled. I realized this before high school and begged to be homeschooled. No dice. Public high school was dreadful, I don't miss it one bit.

I was just telling a phellow PMer I'd even rather just read, read, read... and learn what I want to learn on my own or with a small group of people with the same interests, rather than continue wasting money at the community college I'm attending now.
[/quote]
Did you read any of the other posts? :idontknow:


Some Catholic schools smell of elderberries. Some don't. Some public schools smell of elderberries. Some don't.

Some people are better off at a good Catholic school than at home. Some parents, as faithful and as good as they are, don't have the knowledge to teach their kids what they learn in school. Some of them don't have the patience. Some of them don't have the resources.


But in a second attempt to bring this topic back to the topic of the OP: [b]bullies stink[/b].

Posted

Kid's don't like things that are too different from the norm. Sadly, some adults are still kids.

Posted

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1115811' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:22 AM']
That's how it should be. Bravo. Homeschooling is the best. :clapping: Where else can you get wholesome teaching with a good helping of Catholicism mixed into every aspect? And don't tell me private Catholic school, cuz I've been there, and I learned diddly squat compared to what I ought to have known by Confirmation... things I probably would have learned if I had been homeschooled. I realized this before high school and begged to be homeschooled. No dice. Public high school was dreadful, I don't miss it one bit.

I was just telling a phellow PMer I'd even rather just read, read, read... and learn what I want to learn on my own or with a small group of people with the same interests, rather than continue wasting money at the community college I'm attending now.
[/quote]

Yes "If"....things are always better if aren't they because you can make up the outcome. IF you were homeschooled life would have been better, you would have been smarter, a better person, more well balanced, better friends...I am so glad you know this for sure.

As for your "deficient" public education why didn't you suppliment it with things you wanted to learn. I was taking independent correspondence courses for college credit in high school, I got involved in the academic competitions, I did extra reports and extra credit and I read whatever I wanted besides the stuff I had in school. My teachers were wonderful, my parents provided anything else I needed and I don't ever think I will stop learning about Catholicism. If you really want to learn something then learn it.....I started teaching myself Polish and then found a teacher for myself and bought books to learn it, for example. The resources were out there, what was the problem?

Posted

CrossCut, I didn't mean to imply your situation was because of hormones etc, but speaking in generalities, the transition to high school is tough inherently due to the time of life. Of course kids have added tribulations (that can be awful) which would cause terrible pain in and of themselves, at any age. I guess my point is that no one escapes the 'basic package' of difficulty at that age, some just get 'upgraded' in the tribulation level when terrible things are added to it.

I mean, think of the average family, when their first child turns 13/14, how old are the parents typically? If they were married in the mid 20's, the parents are turning 40ish when the child starts the tumultuus teen years. Hmmm, with no strong, solid foundation in a home, this is the time marriages get stale, maybe stress from raising teens leaves no 'positve reinforcement' at home that the married couple 'used' as the 'glue' between them. Heck, when little Susie was greeting Daddy after work with 'I love you Daddy! Let's play hide and seek!' and now Daddy gets home to find out Susie is flunking Chem or refuses to clean her room or got caught shoplifting or all of the other NORMAL trials of conflict with teenagers, the stress on the marriage builds. Family implosion, disillusionment of parents (a problem only if parents are SOOOOOO focused on their kids from day 1, this is surely a dead end), teens dealing with what was mentioned before, and then any added tribulations to either party (illness, crime victimization, accidents, finacial loss, relocation, etc) and WOW, it is the worst time of life. This leaves kids vulnerable, and it is all the timing--

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1115890' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:59 AM']
Yes "If"....things are always better if aren't they because you can make up the outcome. IF you were homeschooled life would have been better, you would have been smarter, a better person, more well balanced, better friends...I am so glad you know this for sure.
[/quote]

Note the word [i][b]probably[/b][/i]. I never said "I know." And who said anything about better friends, or life being better? I just said I PROBABLY would have learned a lot more about Catholicism. Certainly my life would have been much harder, but you wouldn't understand that unless you knew my Dad's ex wife.

[quote]
As for your "deficient" public education why didn't you suppliment it with things you wanted to learn.
[/quote]

Who says I didnt??

I used study halls and stayed after school to do an independent study in Spanish. I taught myself enough German to be able to read it, and write a little. I wrote often, I drew, I read so much that my parents often had to hide my books from me so I'd go to sleep at night. When I wasn't allowed to go on the heritage tour in 8th grade, I waited a year and went to MD, VA, Washington D.C. with my grandparents and my great uncle agreed to be a tour guide and took us to all of the educational attractions we could fit into 8 days. I learned from my father, a carpenter, quite a lot about carpentry and building and repairing things on my own by going to work with him as often as I could. Etc.. Etc.. Etc.. Etc...

[quote]
I was taking independent correspondence courses for college credit in high school, I got involved in the academic competitions, I did extra reports and extra credit and I read whatever I wanted besides the stuff I had in school. My teachers were wonderful, my parents provided anything else I needed and I don't ever think I will stop learning about Catholicism. If you really want to learn something then learn it.....I started teaching myself Polish and then found a teacher for myself and bought books to learn it, for example. The resources were out there, what was the problem?
[/quote]

I didn't say there was any lack of options for courses to take, or that I don't learn what I want to outside of school. I was referring to the environment. Even at college the environment leaves a lot to be desired. And it's hard to teach yourself about Catholicism at 14, especially when all you've ever learned was the 'fluff' minus a good percentage of the truth. And I didn't know at 7 that I needed to learn anymore than I already was.



Yeesh. [url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4660/ermmme8.gif[/img][/url]

Posted

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1115811' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:22 AM']
Bravo. Homeschooling is the best.
[/quote]
[size=1]Not for everyone.
I learned NOTHING in homeschool except religion.
Everything else I had to make up once I DID start going to a regular school.
Home school screwed me over.
[/size]

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1115811' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:22 AM']
Where else can you get wholesome teaching with a good helping of Catholicism mixed into every aspect? And don't tell me private Catholic school, cuz I've been there, and I learned diddly squat compared to what I ought to have known by Confirmation... things I probably would have learned if I had been homeschooled.
[/quote]
[size=1]The private high school I went to was considered the best in the state for Catholic Education.
I learned alot from it.
[/size]

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1115887' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:09 AM']
Kid's don't like things that are too different from the norm. Sadly, some adults are still kids.
[/quote]
I don't think anyone has said it better thus far. :cool: (Your sig is one of my favs, btw.)

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1115890' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:59 AM']
Yes "If"....things are always better if aren't they because you can make up the outcome. IF you were homeschooled life would have been better, you would have been smarter, a better person, more well balanced, better friends...I am so glad you know this for sure.

As for your "deficient" public education why didn't you suppliment it with things you wanted to learn. I was taking independent correspondence courses for college credit in high school, I got involved in the academic competitions, I did extra reports and extra credit and I read whatever I wanted besides the stuff I had in school. My teachers were wonderful, my parents provided anything else I needed and I don't ever think I will stop learning about Catholicism. If you really want to learn something then learn it.....I started teaching myself Polish and then found a teacher for myself and bought books to learn it, for example. The resources were out there, what was the problem?
[/quote]
Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

fearundercontrol
Posted

I'm coming in a little late to this thread, but I can totally sympathize with it. I was the target of much teasing and bullying all throughout elementary and middle school, so I know what it's like and how damaging it can be.

Posted

so wait, are you saying that its not necessarily true that if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger?

franciscanheart
Posted

If we aren't allow to tear, how is God to build us and make us stronger? If we never suffered, we would not know Christ.

Posted

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1115887' date='Nov 9 2006, 06:09 AM']
Kid's don't like things that are too different from the norm. Sadly, some adults are still kids.
[/quote]

This is true. But kids are also less likely to notice a difference.

Posted

For every tragedy and adversity God gives us an Opportunity to respond in GRACE.

Dont think I do not eat those words quite often.

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1116236' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:56 PM']
For every tragedy and adversity God gives us an Opportunity to respond in GRACE.

Dont think I do not eat those words quite often.
[/quote]
Wise one. :)

Posted

I used the taunts and such directed towards me and offered them to our Lord. Not that I was overly teased too awful much--I had a good group of friends growing up, and generally ignored everyone else.

Posted

What is difficult with our son who is autistic is the very methods of coping (explanation, seeing it from the other person's perspective, etc) are the very areas he has the disability. In other words, we often are not sure how much he is feeling, because we are not sure how much he percieves. Certainly the overt behaviors of other kids are obvious even to him (getting pushed, shoved or directly called an awful name) but the subtle innuendo does often escape him. That is where the teaching has to keep up.

You know what I would love? A monastery where instead of growing grapes or filling ink cartriges or other work, the monks took care of autistic folks, like a daycare where all of the beauty of monastic life could be shared. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Posted

[quote name='MRSannie' post='1116729' date='Nov 10 2006, 10:11 AM']
What is difficult with our son who is autistic is the very methods of coping (explanation, seeing it from the other person's perspective, etc) are the very areas he has the disability. In other words, we often are not sure how much he is feeling, because we are not sure how much he percieves. Certainly the overt behaviors of other kids are obvious even to him (getting pushed, shoved or directly called an awful name) but the subtle innuendo does often escape him. That is where the teaching has to keep up.

You know what I would love? A monastery where instead of growing grapes or filling ink cartriges or other work, the monks took care of autistic folks, like a daycare where all of the beauty of monastic life could be shared. Does anyone know of anything like this?
[/quote]

WOW that is a tall order. You would need a monastary where you had a whole staff of people trained in this special time of care.
It is hard to get that together in a large population with mixed religion, much less a small isolated community.

But good luck.

Posted

[quote name='MRSannie' post='1116729' date='Nov 10 2006, 10:11 AM']
What is difficult with our son who is autistic is the very methods of coping (explanation, seeing it from the other person's perspective, etc) are the very areas he has the disability. In other words, we often are not sure how much he is feeling, because we are not sure how much he percieves. Certainly the overt behaviors of other kids are obvious even to him (getting pushed, shoved or directly called an awful name) but the subtle innuendo does often escape him. That is where the teaching has to keep up.
[/quote]

My brother is autistic. I know where you're coming from.

Prayers.

Posted (edited)

I feel that Homeschooling is the best. However, some people are incapable of it. Then they shoud go to their secound option, Catholic or Christian schools. We should try to protect our children as much as we can from the harmful rays of society.

Christianity may not be able to be taught in a mutli-cultural school system. But, the religion of darwinism is its replacement, claimed to be taught as theory (Yeah right). And not only is it silenced but, children are killed for it ( Not just by other kids but, in certain situations police officers and are harassed and humilatied by teachers.) and suspened for speaking the Bible.

Its not an issue of offending others anymore. Its bring light into the darkness that is a crime and that is what gets people killed and cause more hatred for [b]all[/b] Christians.

However, we must use all the resource we can before subjecting them to that.

Because, there is nothing new under the sun. Christians were silenced and killed then and they are now. The world is not and never will be perfect. Let us not send them into the lions den, unless absolutly nessessary.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...