An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Don't Catholics Keep Kosher?

KizlarAgha

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1110420' date='Nov 4 2006, 12:20 AM']
Is there a reason you would like to know? Becoming Catholic?
[/quote]

Can't I ask a question?

And HSmom - why don't you have to?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Acts 10:9-15, NAB
[quote]The next day, while they were on their way and nearing the city, Peter went up to the roof terrace to pray at about noontime. He was hungry and wished to eat, and while they were making preparations he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something resembling a large sheet coming down, lowered to the ground by its four corners. In it were all the earth's four-legged animals and reptiles and the birds of the sky. A voice said to him, "Get up, Peter. Slaughter and eat." But Peter said, "Certainly not, sir. For never have I eaten anything profane and unclean." The voice spoke to him again, a second time, "What God has made clean, you are not to call profane."[/quote]

EcceNovaFacioOmni

It's what popped into my head - but you could also point to Christ's fulfilling of the Law and his many comments regarding it in the New Testament (he said what goes in does not defile, etc.). Paul talks about the Law a lot. Circumcision was waived for Gentile converts in the NT as well.

That, and the council in Jerusalem (Acts 15) where most of the Jewish dietary laws (and other customs) were discussed and found to be a barrier to the ministry to the Gentiles. At that council Peter is said to have said:
Why, then, are you now putting God to the test by placing on the shoulders of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear?

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1110424' date='Nov 3 2006, 11:22 PM']
Can't I ask a question?
[/quote]
Can I? The bigger question is "Can you provide an answer?"

I believe its Mosaic law that we don't have to follow. Not all the laws, but particular ones, including circumcision yarmulkes passover yiddish kvetching lighting the minorah sitting shiveh

But mainly because "pork chops taste goood."

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1110449' date='Nov 4 2006, 12:46 AM']
Can I? The bigger question is "Can you provide an answer?"
[/quote]

Can I provide an answer to my own question? Well, I've been looking through my copy of the CCC but I haven't found any references to kosher yet. I found a section that elucidates the meaning of Jesus' fulfillment of the law, but it's not specific to which laws Catholics still must follow.

Edited by KizlarAgha

They're on the deli aisle.

I forgot. Gefilte fish, which are obviously some form of Biblical punishment for killing somebody or something. We don't have to eat those, either.