An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Don't Catholics Keep Kosher?

KizlarAgha

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I always took that view that moral laws are still intact - without the punishments - as a rule of thumb.

[quote]So all of the laws of the old testament don't apply? Which ones don't and why?[/quote]

No certain ones do (Ten Commands). Christ didnt come to diminish the Old Testament. He just came to fulfill prophecies of men who came before him and told others about him. Thats all.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

[quote name='thedude' post='1110509' date='Nov 4 2006, 01:26 AM']
I always took that view that moral laws are still intact - without the punishments - as a rule of thumb.
[/quote]

So by moral laws you mean the ten commandments?

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1110457' date='Nov 3 2006, 11:50 PM']
Can I provide an answer to my own question?
[/quote]
No, an answer to mine.

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1110527' date='Nov 4 2006, 01:34 AM']
No, an answer to mine.
[/quote]

Why I asked the question? I was curious.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1110518' date='Nov 4 2006, 01:31 AM']
So by moral laws you mean the ten commandments?
[/quote]
Now that I think about it I never really thought that much into it. The 10 Commandments certainly. They are explicitly affirmed by Jesus: "Keep the commandments..."

[quote]Now that I think about it I never really thought that much into it. The 10 Commandments certainly. They are explicitly affirmed by Jesus: "Keep the commandments..."[/quote]

Right. As I have said before.

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
-Matt. 5:17

Thy Geekdom Come

There are three laws in the Old Testament. There is natural law (which comes by the creation of the world), divine law (commandments directly from God), and Mosaic law (laws created by Moses largely as concessions to the inability/unwillingness of the Hebrews to keep the divine law properly).

cathoholic_anonymous

Many of the ancient Jewish laws (especially the [i]chukim[/i], the rules without any obvious point to them) were there to infuse the Jewish day with a sense of the spiritual, reminding them that they were children of God in everything that they did, however mundane - eating, sleeping, or even washing. A lot of the Jews I know speak of the sense of community and the intimate relationship with God that comes from keeping these commands. But as Christians, we believe that the Incarnation is enough to satisfy people's hunger for a personal relationship with the Lord - and so some of the laws of our Jewish forefathers have outlived their usefulness. The moral code has not, however, because morality comes with absolutes: murder, for example, is as wrong now as it was before Jesus' coming. His arrival didn't turn morality on its head.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Winchester' post='1110451' date='Nov 3 2006, 11:47 PM']But mainly because "pork chops taste goood."
[/quote]

Gentiles Eat Pork Chops
Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians

(that's how I remember the order)

Why don't Catholics keep kosher?

Because the (Jewish) Apostles didn't teach it. The Church didn't read the NT and then decide what to believe or what to teach. The NT came much later. Christ taught the Apostles, the Apostles taught the Church, the Church teaches others.

The Church has the authority of Christ to teach and make decisions. "He who hears you hears me, he who rejects you rejects me . . ." Lk 10:16. "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven . . ." Mt 16:19.
--------------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1110707' date='Nov 4 2006, 11:31 AM']
Gentiles Eat Pork Chops
Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians

(that's how I remember the order)
[/quote]
:lol:

Well, one must keep in mind that the non-kosher foods are also those foods today that are considered dangerous if not cooked properly, so I think there was a sanitation issue in the OT times. And I recall a priest saying that if Christians kept the sanitation laws during the middle ages, more would have survived the various plagues.