An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Guilt

Balthazor

I would like to know what you all think about how to deal with the past sins of the PEOPLE WHO LIVED A LONG TIME AGO IN THE PAST THAT WERE MEMEBERS OF THE Catholic Church. I dont know the whole story but apparently Jan Huss, an early reformer was burned at the stake by the Church as a heretic....case in point. Probably not the most Christ-like thing to do to a guy, heretic or not. So yeah....lot of Hard feelings about that here in Prague, the Old Town Square has a HUGE statue of him looking glum and intimidating. Making enormous statues like that is Europes way of making a subtle point......

So what am I supposed to say? How shall I , or rather We ,Catholics to react to the sins of the past? I know they have happened, I am sorry they happened but at the same time i can not change them and I am not directly responsible for them. yet I somehow feel responsible as a Catholic.....

What do you guys think how doe one approach the bitter grapes which my parents ate and my teeth are set on edge?

Edited by Balthazor

cmotherofpirl

Moving this cause its not a debate.
Various members of the Church have grievously sinned, the Catholic Church does NOT sin, she is the Bride of Christ.

Have you studied up on this person? What are the details?How do you know it was a sin to burn him?

Have you read any of the threads on the inquistion from the debate board?
This theme has been covered quite well there as well.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

you could use the traditional argument. Huss was endangering the souls of a large ammount of people in Prauge. He was given a chance to repent, he did not, so to protect the other souls, he was executed.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

I should reword it looking back.

Because it COULD be a debate. I get confronted all the time about stuff like this from non-Catholics. It always turns into a holy war.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1113119' date='Nov 6 2006, 07:24 PM']
I should reword it looking back.

Because it COULD be a debate. I get confronted all the time about stuff like this from non-Catholics. It always turns into a holy war.
[/quote]
I'll move it back if it becomes a debate. :)

Yeah I already looked that up, and I even tried to translate a few of the plaques. I live about 200 yards from Bethlehem Square
[url="http://www.compstat2004.cuni.cz/c04-betlemska.htm"]http://www.compstat2004.cuni.cz/c04-betlemska.htm[/url].
And about ten minutes walking from the old town square with this guy's statue.

There was a huge movement apparently. The Czechs, even though they tend to be atheist, look at him as a hero. I admit that he was endangering a huge amount of souls...but touching a guy? I mean if you absolutly have to kill someone at least don't do it in the most painful way possible.
Unless he worked for the czech post I admit that there have been a few times I thought of torching someone there......

[quote]
What do you guys think how doe one approach the bitter grapes which my parents ate and my teeth are set on edge?[/quote]

First off, that is an AWESOME line!

Second of all,

Imagine how Adam and Eve feel? I gotta wonder if they're sitting at the gates of heaven saying to everyone that enters" Hey sorry about that! Our bad!!"

hot stuff you are hilarious.
Just imagine Eve at the family reunion pot luck dinner...
"um Eve, could you bring something....well...anything but fruit salad"

Edited by Balthazor

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1113106' date='Nov 6 2006, 07:20 PM']How do you know it was a sin to burn him?
[/quote]

Please tell me you're joking.

Since when is it a good idea to burn people for their religious beliefs?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Goetian' post='1113193' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:14 PM']
Please tell me you're joking.

Since when is it a good idea to burn people for their religious beliefs?
[/quote]
Leading people astray from heaven to hell is more dangerous than murder of the physical body. Granted, burning doesn't sound right, but considering the modes of execution they had back then...

sounds all good and everything, but trying to say you are the true church and the representation of Christ on earth....yet you have blood on your hands...IDK, doesnt work well. This was a big issue for me as well

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1113186' date='Nov 6 2006, 07:07 PM']
hot stuff you are hilarious.
Just imagine Eve at the family reunion pot luck dinner...
"um Eve, could you bring something....well...anything but fruit salad"
[/quote]
Or apple pie.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1113220' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:10 PM']
sounds all good and everything, but trying to say you are the true church and the representation of Christ on earth....yet you have blood on your hands...IDK, doesnt work well. This was a big issue for me as well
[/quote]

Hmm...That was a norm then. People just did that. It seems "horrible" to us now( because were all so civilized :rolleyes: ) but then it was just what you did.

Edited by Rick777