An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Guilt

Balthazor

[quote name='Raphael' post='1113204' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:37 PM']
Leading people astray from heaven to hell is more dangerous than murder of the physical body. Granted, burning doesn't sound right, but considering the modes of execution they had back then...
[/quote]

Okay Raphael. Let's put a little more personal face on this.

We live in the Middle Ages. Do you execute me?

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Goetian' post='1113535' date='Nov 7 2006, 06:29 AM']

[/quote]

Why would anyone want to execute you? Are you some sort of heretic? :idontknow: :lol_roll:

different eccesiologies. Protestants are independent. They dont care about the witch hunts, or the drowing baptists. Because they think they all smell of elderberries and thats the point. Where as with catholics our credibility is in our eccesiology

[quote name='Goetian' post='1113535' date='Nov 7 2006, 07:29 AM']

[/quote]

Bump. I want a reply to this and I'm not leaving until I get one.

It's easy to justify holy wars and religious executions and witch hunts and the like until you realise that the victims are, you know, [i]people[/i] and there's more to them than that.

In any case, if you would execute me, I'll say that's utterly barbaric and at odds with the Catechism; if not, I don't understand why you're defending this man's untimely death.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Goetian' post='1113897' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:02 PM']
Bump. I want a reply to this and I'm not leaving until I get one.

It's easy to justify holy wars and religious executions and witch hunts and the like until you realise that the victims are, you know, [i]people[/i] and there's more to them than that.

In any case, if you would execute me, I'll say that's utterly barbaric and at odds with the Catechism; if not, I don't understand why you're defending this man's untimely death.
[/quote]
We don't execute heretics now, so its a moot point.

Tell them that yes, Catholics have sinned, but that's because we all sin. We all fall and it's only the mercy of God that gives us eternal life. Not to mention that the Middle Ages were dark and brutal times which affected everyone, not just the Church. And because we were born well after these atrocities were committed, we have no guilt for these actions simply because we weren't alive when they occurred.

Accusing all Catholics for witch-burnings and Inquisitions is like labeling the Jews as Christ-killers.

Yeah I know. It annoys me that no one ever asks about the saints who were martyred.

I ask this question mostly because in certain places, Ahem Prague, there seem to be a lot of stumbling blocks that people have. Jan Hus seems to be a pretty big stumbling block fo the people of Prague. Although in their defense they love Saint Jan Napomucki, also a martyr.....he was thown off of the Bridge.
But still Hus has left a deep shadow that provides a dark cask for Prague Catholicism.
In every guide book I have found they used the approximate terming "and in the old town square you will find an enormous statue of Jan Hus, who the Catholics (actually the books say the Catholic Church) roasted alive as a heretic. I suppose I should be happier though...the guide books always confirm the fact that he was a heretic.

Goetian,

the answer is YES,

but he probably will ignore this thread, and not answer.

To be honest with you this board has a lot of darkness on it, with people praising evil things like the Inquisition.

It is very sad to see, since there are a lot of young people here, and how people with such darkness in their souls and seared consciences may influence them.

There is no love in someone who defends this stuff.