An Old School Catholic Message Board

A New Website!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/"]http://www.cloisteredlife.com/[/url]

Looks like a great page (put together through the IRL)!

Just thought I'd share... God Bless you all abundantly!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1114486' date='Nov 7 2006, 09:43 PM']
[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/"]http://www.cloisteredlife.com/[/url]

Looks like a great page (put together through the IRL)!

Just thought I'd share... God Bless you all abundantly!
[/quote]

It's finally up! It's been in the works for almost a year!

That's very exciting!! Hopefully they'll had pages about different communities too. It's hard enough trying to find out about active communities, esp. when you don't live near them; it's even harder to find out about cloistered communities, particularly ones that aren't plugged into the Internet.

cathoholic_anonymous

That has the potential to be a wonderful site. I hope they put up meditations on the cloistered life and also some vocational material.

Yeah, this is great, because a lot of times I feel the cloisted vocation is not understood or encouraged by many, including many Catholics, who see it as rather a selfish thing - that they should be going out in the world helping people. A woman I work with was asking me about this. But their's is a hidden apostolate, not seen by the world. It is great to have a site by a solid organization, the IRL, to support and make this known. I'm sure it will keep getting better, with pages on different communities.

[quote] From the site:

What is Cloistered Life?

Cloistered life is a formal way of life recognized by the Church to invite men and women to find within the hidden life of the monastery a place where they can experience the loving exchange of hearts with Christ Jesus. In this enclosure, they find their true selves and experience a foretaste of heaven! [/quote]

I like this intro, however it does not say anything on their hidden apostolate, of praying for the salvation of souls, and for many things, like priests and bishops - how their union with God is also drawing down graces for the whole world. I really think it is important to say this right away in an introduction like this ...

Edited by Margaret Clare

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1115189' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:50 PM']
I like this intro, however it does not say anything on their hidden apostolate, of praying for the salvation of souls, and for many things, like priests and bishops - how their union with God is also drawing down graces for the whole world. I really think it is important to say this right away in an introduction like this ...
[/quote]

I agree! But Benedictines, for example, would not put an emphasis on the apostolic dimension as part of why they have enclosure.

Our constitutions say," By withdrawal from the world, in fact and in spirit, the nuns, like prudent virgins waiting for their Lord, are freed from worldly affairs so that they may ahve the leisure to devote themselves wholeheartedly to the kingdom of God. This hidden life should open their minds to the breath and height and depth of the love of God who sent his Son so that the whole world might be saved through him....

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1115189' date='Nov 8 2006, 01:50 PM']
[/quote]

I just emailed the IRL on this, but either way, the site is great! :j

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1115196' date='Nov 8 2006, 03:01 PM']
I agree! But Benedictines, for example, would not put an emphasis on the apostolic dimension as part of why they have enclosure.
[/quote]

Not that you are an expert on Benedictines, but why would they not emphasize it?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1115201' date='Nov 8 2006, 03:11 PM']
Not that you are an expert on Benedictines, but why would they not emphasize it?
[/quote]

Well, I "grew up" Benedictine so I'm quite familiar with Benedictine Spirituality. The Benedictine Abbey down the road from my family is my 2nd family and was our parish.

Benedictines (contemplatives, I mean) withdraw from the world to search for God, to save their souls, to give God primacy and to glorify and praise God---as do all contemplatives. Praying for others as part of their charism is sort of "extra". It's not part of their charism as is say, the Poor Clares, Dominicans or even Carmelites.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1115317' date='Nov 8 2006, 05:51 PM']
Well, I "grew up" Benedictine so I'm quite familiar with Benedictine Spirituality. The Benedictine Abbey down the road from my family is my 2nd family and was our parish.[/quote]

Dont take this the wrong way Sister, but I cant IMAGINE you being Benedictine. Franciscan maybe, but DOMINICAN Definitely.