An Old School Catholic Message Board

A New Website!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1115317' date='Nov 8 2006, 03:51 PM']
Well, I "grew up" Benedictine so I'm quite familiar with Benedictine Spirituality. The Benedictine Abbey down the road from my family is my 2nd family and was our parish.

Benedictines (contemplatives, I mean) withdraw from the world to search for God, to save their souls, to give God primacy and to glorify and praise God---as do all contemplatives. Praying for others as part of their charism is sort of "extra". It's not part of their charism as is say, the Poor Clares, Dominicans or even Carmelites.
[/quote]

Ahh, okay. I thought that was probably the right answer. Though I know the Discalced Carmelites give a great importance to their apostolic mission, not just from St. Therese being in the heart of the Church & patroness of the missions, but when St. Teresa founded them she said many things like the purpose of their (the nuns) being there was to pray for priests and bishops, and for the whole Church. It was in her time that the Lutherans were gaining a lot of ground among the faithful, and St. Teresa felt helpless, as a poor woman (she said something like that) but decided the faithful living out of the Evangelical Counsels would be the greatest weapon for these attacks against the Church.

In the document [i]Verbi Sponsa[/i] there are a lot of great lines on the apostolic mission of all cloistered contemplative nuns. Next time I have the time, I will post a few of these on here.

But of course, the Discalced Carmelites' first focus is what Sr. Mary Catherine said. But in striving for this goal, the whole Church is draw with them, through God's grace, if that's the right way to say it. But yeah, some orders like the Benedictines, don't have as much focus on the apostolic part than others.

"For their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth." (Jn 17: 19)

Edited by Margaret Clare

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1115351' date='Nov 8 2006, 05:20 PM']
Dont take this the wrong way Sister, but I cant IMAGINE you being Benedictine. Franciscan maybe, but DOMINICAN Definitely.
[/quote]

Franciscan? Never even thought about it!
Benedictines and Dominican Nuns are "closer" in charism, actually because we are monastic and because of our emphasis on the liturgy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Chiquitunga

New pages added to this site - [url="http://cloisteredlife.com/daywithinthewalls.htm"]http://cloisteredlife.com/daywithinthewalls.htm[/url] ^_^