An Old School Catholic Message Board

What If Satan Repented...

jwangkal

Lucifer was an Archangel, one of the 7 Archangels of God. Having rebelled, he and his followers were thrown out of Heaven. They lost God's grace and have since then been angels of darkness, seeking the ruin of Souls.

We, Catholics believe that sin takes us away from God's grace. When we repent and go to Penance, Christ restores us to grace through His Precious Blood, making us Children of The Father.

I wish to open this Topic as a debate. What if one of us convinces Lucifer to repent and return to Heaven as a servant? I know most us us would say " He's too proud to do that". Does God's nature (God is the Loving Father of all Creation) condemn Satan to eternal bondage?(meaning Satan is bound never to see sense and rerturn to God?)

By this Question I wish to see a healthy debate on God's nature versus our human reasoning.

Angels are spirit and will. Satan had one time to make his decision and he made it. He is incapable of repentance, just as the souls in Hell are incapable.

It's not really a question of God's nature, but of angelic nature.

heyyoimjohnny

If Satan repented, God would forgive him. However, it is impossible for him to repent. He made his choice, and it is irreversible. In the same way, we cannot make any more choices after we die. We can keep making choices while we're still alive because we still operate in the context of time. No time for Satan, no time for the departed. The will is permanantly fixed. And when we say "permanant" we're still thinking in the context of time, which only applies to the physical realm.

But again, yes, God would forgive him. Satan would just never ask for forgiveness. Same as with all condemned (God forbid!) souls: the will is fixed. It is their choice, their rejection of God, and it is irreversible.

...what winchester said....

In theory, if God decided to do that, then yes it would be possible. Any human being is capable of repentance while still on earth. [i]any[/i] human. But beyond theological curiosity, the question is moot because Satan is in Hell and does not have a chance to change.

However, angels and human who have passed into eternity live outside of time. Change requires time to take effect (though purgatory get a bit complicated), so in essence, those in heaven or hell can never change.

Do angels exist outside of time? both answers seem to present problems. If they do, then how can they have had a "beginning" as creatures? Can something be eternally created? If no, then how can a will, existing in time, be a will if it can't change?

I can't see that either is more likely or more implausible...did Thomas talk about this? It's kind of interesting how little authoritative doctrine their is about angels.

I want to quote the Book of Revelations, but this may create a new thread of discussion, but folks, lets try and keep to the Subject at hand.

Revelations Chapter 4 discribes the Presence of God or may I say the Throne of God, and the creatures worshipping Him. Verse 5 talks of The Seven Lamps, which are the Seven Spirits of God, which I suppose are the Seven Archangels ( Correct me if I'm Wrong).
They are ever present in Heaven worshipping before God's throne. question is, Is Lucifer one among them or Was another Archangel created to replace him?
Does this vision describe thing to come in future or something in Eternity?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='JP3' post='1117535' date='Nov 11 2006, 12:23 PM']
I want to quote the Book of Revelations, but this may create a new thread of discussion, but folks, lets try and keep to the Subject at hand.

Revelations Chapter 4 discribes the Presence of God or may I say the Throne of God, and the creatures worshipping Him. Verse 5 talks of The Seven Lamps, which are the Seven Spirits of God, which I suppose are the Seven Archangels ( Correct me if I'm Wrong).
They are ever present in Heaven worshipping before God's throne. question is, Is Lucifer one among them or Was another Archangel created to replace him?
Does this vision describe thing to come in future or something in Eternity?
[/quote]
1. All the angels were made at once (simul). This was defined, I believe at Trent. Therefore, no angels were created to replace any others.
2. Angels do exist in a type of time, but not in the way we exist in time. They exist in aeviternity. There is a sequence to what they do, but not "time" in the way we think of it.
3. Satan rebelled once for all. Because he doesn't have the type of time he would need in order to repent, he can't repent. Satan did what he did knowing full well what he was doing and that it was a one-time, eternal, fundamental choice.
4. Satan cannot be incarnated in order to take on flesh so that he can have the option to change his mind. No demon can ever become incarnated, nor can any angel, at least not in the sense of the word we mean by "incarnation." Angels and man are two completely different things. Spirits cannot possess flesh by taking it on and acting on it, but they cannot "fuse" with it. The only being ever to do so was God, and that by means of the hypostatic union. Demons do not have that kind of power.

keep in mind that this isnt jsut about satan existing outside of time. angels have way more knowledge than we do about God and us and eternity etc etc.... you know, beatific vision and all.... satan knew what God was going to do, and he didnt like it. and still doesnt. he's not going to "come around" because there's no new information for him to learn to change his mind. it wasnt a lack of understanding, it was a knowledgable decision to choose what isnt God. it was a decision he makes forever; he's seen God and prefers not to have Him. smells of elderberries for him, dude. he doesnt regret his decision, he'll never repent, because he still prefers to choose his own pride and his own 'glory' over God's. this is why he wants so many souls in hell, because it's his way of making God's plan, which he despises, fail; it's his way of having glory and power for himself, in 'beating' God. he's never going to look at souls and think "aww dang, i made a mistake." he's just gluttonous and lustful for the destruction of souls.

chickens4life

[quote name='semmab' post='1117679' date='Nov 11 2006, 05:04 PM']
keep in mind that this isnt jsut about satan existing outside of time. angels have way more knowledge than we do about God and us and eternity etc etc.... you know, beatific vision and all.... satan knew what God was going to do, and he didnt like it. and still doesnt. he's not going to "come around" because there's no new information for him to learn to change his mind. it wasnt a lack of understanding, it was a knowledgable decision to choose what isnt God. it was a decision he makes forever; he's seen God and prefers not to have Him. smells of elderberries for him, dude. he doesnt regret his decision, he'll never repent, because he still prefers to choose his own pride and his own 'glory' over God's. this is why he wants so many souls in hell, because it's his way of making God's plan, which he despises, fail; it's his way of having glory and power for himself, in 'beating' God. he's never going to look at souls and think "aww dang, i made a mistake." he's just gluttonous and lustful for the destruction of souls.
[/quote]
I agree compleatly, you took the words right out of my mouth.

God has mercy on us and gives us chances to change, because we are able to learn more and then make better dicisions than we had before. but in heaven, that isn't so, you have the fullness of truth right then and there, if you don't like it at first, there is nothing else you can learn that would make you change your mind.

Much as Angels have more knowledge that we humans, it's limited, compared to God's knowledge. Let's remember that. I think God allows things to be the way they are, I mean the existence of good and evil, so that we can choose to be His friends out of our own will. That applies to all creatures.

Could somebody respond to my question about the Seven Archangels. ( I was refering to the description in the Book of Revelation chapter 5. Correct me if I misinterpret it ) If there was no replacement for Lucifer, does it mean that He is ever in Heaven worshiping before the Throne of God, and at the same time burning in Hell. (Angels are not omnipresent)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JP3' post='1118665' date='Nov 13 2006, 02:34 AM']
Much as Angels have more knowledge that we humans, it's limited, compared to God's knowledge. Let's remember that. I think God allows things to be the way they are, I mean the existence of good and evil, so that we can choose to be His friends out of our own will. That applies to all creatures.

Could somebody respond to my question about the Seven Archangels. ( I was refering to the description in the Book of Revelation chapter 5. Correct me if I misinterpret it ) If there was no replacement for Lucifer, does it mean that He is ever in Heaven worshiping before the Throne of God, and at the same time burning in Hell. (Angels are not omnipresent)
[/quote]
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm[/url]