An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got Accepted!

ForHimAlone

I got my acceptance letter from the University of Saint Thomas about a month ago, but I've been too busy to get on to PM. I'm so excited! My plan is to major in Music Education, with a minor in English or Catholic Studies. Any UST students out there? Any incoming freshman tips or advice??

^_^

As an alum, I can say, WELCOME TO TO TOMMIE LAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tips:

1. The stories about being a "True Tommie" are accurate. Good Luck with that.
2. GB Leighton is a great band and you should get familiar with their music.
3. Be very wary of some of the Theology professors...some are not so good.
4. Make sure you minor in Catholic Studies. I am one of the first graduates of that program and I can tell you that between Dr. Briel, Dr. Thompson and Kathy (the secretary), you will LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE St. Thomas.
5. Make sure you get to know Rob Strusinski. He is the best. He is the only teacher that I had at St. Thomas every semester all four years. He is the director of the Liturgical Choir. (I sang in the Liturgical Choir)
6. Stay away from the Social Justice crowd, they are militant liberal Catholics. That being said, get in close with the Catholic Studies crowd, they are militant conservative Catholics.
7. Protest in front of PP on Ford Parkway, as often as you can, there is a Burger King and a LeeAnn Chin's near by, you won't go hungry.
8. Go to St. Agnes for Mass on a regular basis. 10am Solemn Mass. (Take Cretin to I-94. Take I-94 East to Dale Street. Take a Left on Dale to Lafond. You cannot miss it, seriously.)
9. Get lost in the stacks at Ireland Library on South Campus, it is the best place to study.
10. Have fun, it is a great school. See ya at Homecoming '07.

Oh yeah,

I forgot, when you turn 21 the Wild Onion and Billy's are the best places to hang out. So is Halftime Rec, but that is a bit of a drive.

[quote name='ForHimAlone' post='1117486' date='Nov 11 2006, 11:07 AM']
I got my acceptance letter from the University of Saint Thomas about a month ago, but I've been too busy to get on to PM. I'm so excited! My plan is to major in Music Education, with a minor in English or Catholic Studies. Any UST students out there? Any incoming freshman tips or advice??

^_^
[/quote]

Now I don't have any stories but I do have a question. With your degree, are you considering work in Music Therapy???

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1117497' date='Nov 11 2006, 09:12 AM']
The Fine Grind is on Marshall and Cleveland

Great coffee and free internet!
[/quote]

Yes they do have great coffee and free internet, and it has a great atmosphere. I like studying there.

If you come over to the Minneapolis campus you can see me! :)

[quote name='Winchester' post='1117536' date='Nov 11 2006, 11:25 AM']
Is this in Houston?

Can't we come up with more saint's names?
[/quote]

No, it is in Minnesota.

[quote name='ForHimAlone' post='1117486' date='Nov 11 2006, 10:07 AM']

^_^
[/quote]
[size=1]Hey thats really cool!
Half of my graduating class is at St. Thomas! Haha
And my brother too!

And once you are there, you HAVE to go to Davannis! They have the best subs!! And they have pizza too which is also good!
[/size]

+

DEFINITELY,

1. Take-up a minor, or a double major in Catholic Studies!!!! They are the best people on campus (I'm an alum). Make sure you're on their mailing list -they do tons of fun stuff!

2. Fulfill your CS degree by spending a semester or year abroad in Rome! (I spent a year and it was one of the best of my life!) The Rome Campus is AMAZING!

3. Any classes you take in English, Theology, or Philosophy, make sure the professor also double teaches in Catholic Studies. This way, you know they are not psycho -pm me with any questions.

4.If you are a woman, ask about living on the Catholic Women's Floor, or if you are a man or woman, check out the SPO households. They are awesome houses of faith-filled Catholics super-close to campus. www.spoweb.org

5. Pick-up an hour to be a scheduled adorer with UST Adoration. We have perpetual adoration in Koch! (This is the third year)

God Bless!

AlterDominicus

Then you and I [b]HAVE TO MEET![/b] after you were the one who told me about Anne, I got to see her quite a bite during the summer in LaCrosse.

Coffee sound good? :lol_roll:

You can come over to my place for dinner. We'll be UST Tommies, all of us. Even Veritas99 can come. Lets party! :beer:

Okie... :sweat: yeah I am over reacting a bit, UST is my ultimate favorite college on the planet next to two others, but yeah, so we have to meet. Hahaha.

[quote name='Cam42' post='1117554' date='Nov 11 2006, 01:07 PM']
No, it is in Minnesota.
[/quote]

There is a UST Houston, actually. www.stthom.edu/

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1118428' date='Nov 12 2006, 05:42 PM']
There is a UST Houston, actually. www.stthom.edu/
[/quote]
yeah, but that's not the one we're talking about