An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got Accepted!

ForHimAlone

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1118429' date='Nov 12 2006, 07:42 PM']
yeah, but that's not the one we're talking about
[/quote]
Right, I understand that, but I thought I'd just throw that out there since ForHimAlone hasn't yet confirmed which UST she was accepted into... :idontknow:

Edit: And, since she mentioned she was thinking about Catholic Studies, I'm an idiot, since UST Houston doesn't have that program. Whoops.

Edited by BurkeFan

JMJ
11/13 - Thirty-second Monday

I graduated from UST in 2005 - welcome to the club! :P:

1.) Catholic Studies is a MUST.
2.) The philosophy department is one of the best in the nation. And it's full of Catholic Thomists. :) If you're thinking about going into law, medicine, or grad school in general, a minor in philosophy will go a long way.
3.) One of my favorite haunts in the Twin Cities was called "The Dubliner," a shady little bar on the corner of Cretin and University.
4.) A good used-books store (other than Loomes in Stillwater) is on the corner of Snelling and University.
5.) Try to get Tony (the short-order cook at the Grill) angry sometime, or at least be around when he gets angry. It's hilarious.
6.) When you take your Ethics class (PHIL 214), take it with Dr. Gary Atkinson. No one else. At all. Ever. He's bar-none the best philosopher I've ever met, and his class was very enjoyable.
7.) As for your Philosophy of the Human Person class (PHIL 115), I don't know who would be a good recommendation for that. Perhaps Dr. Greg Coulter, if he teaches a section, or Dr. Vlahovic. Just stay away from Dr. Kronen.
8.) Two words: CLEVELAND WOK. All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet on Cleveland right next to Ford Parkway.

That's all I can think of. Minnesota and I left each other on bad terms, but I still had fun. ;)

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1118584' date='Nov 12 2006, 10:52 PM']
Right, I understand that, but I thought I'd just throw that out there since ForHimAlone hasn't yet confirmed which UST she was accepted into... :idontknow:

Edit: And, since she mentioned she was thinking about Catholic Studies, I'm an idiot, since UST Houston doesn't have that program. Whoops.
[/quote]

Oh, you're not an idiot, you just didn't read through everything until after you'd posted. It's not like hasn't ever been done before......

PS, can you send me another copy of the Archbishop Sheen talk? I seem to have lost it in the move to Iowa. I will PM you my new address, or you can get it from Matthew. Thanks.

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1118757' date='Nov 13 2006, 07:00 AM']
JMJ
11/13 - Thirty-second Monday

I graduated from UST in 2005 - welcome to the club! :P:

1.) Catholic Studies is a MUST.
2.) The philosophy department is one of the best in the nation. And it's full of Catholic Thomists. :) If you're thinking about going into law, medicine, or grad school in general, a minor in philosophy will go a long way.
3.) One of my favorite haunts in the Twin Cities was called "The Dubliner," a shady little bar on the corner of Cretin and University.
4.) A good used-books store (other than Loomes in Stillwater) is on the corner of Snelling and University.
5.) Try to get Tony (the short-order cook at the Grill) angry sometime, or at least be around when he gets angry. It's hilarious.
6.) When you take your Ethics class (PHIL 214), take it with Dr. Gary Atkinson. No one else. At all. Ever. He's bar-none the best philosopher I've ever met, and his class was very enjoyable.
7.) As for your Philosophy of the Human Person class (PHIL 115), I don't know who would be a good recommendation for that. Perhaps Dr. Greg Coulter, if he teaches a section, or Dr. Vlahovic. Just stay away from Dr. Kronen.
8.) Two words: CLEVELAND WOK. All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet on Cleveland right next to Ford Parkway.

That's all I can think of. Minnesota and I left each other on bad terms, but I still had fun. ;)
[/quote]

Stay far far far away from Dr. Kronen.

[quote name='Cam42' post='1118818' date='Nov 13 2006, 10:21 AM']
Oh, you're not an idiot, you just didn't read through everything until after you'd posted. It's not like hasn't ever been done before......

PS, can you send me another copy of the Archbishop Sheen talk? I seem to have lost it in the move to Iowa. I will PM you my new address, or you can get it from Matthew. Thanks.
[/quote]

Dr. RoseMary Lemmons or Dr. Matthews Grant are good for this.

[quote name='Cam42' post='1118818' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:21 AM']

[/quote]

Sure thing. Had I given you the CD, or just the text copy? I can send you a copy of either / both if you'd like.

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1118757' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:00 AM']

[/quote]

Dr. Mike Rota, who's a friend of mine from St. Louis, may be teaching that course as well. He taught a section (if I remember correctly) at SLU.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! It's really helpful, and I'm not as nervous as I was.

Cam- I believe you said you were in the Liturgical Choir! That's something I'm really interested in getting involved with. What was the time commitment when you were in the Choir?

[quote name='passionheart' post='1117516' date='Nov 11 2006, 10:43 AM']
Now I don't have any stories but I do have a question. With your degree, are you considering work in Music Therapy???
[/quote]

No, I haven't really looked into Music Therapy. I want to go into Music Education and be a Choir Directress at a small Catholic high school, ideally. Otherwise, a Choir Mistress in a monastery, if that be my vocation. ^_^

Oh, and yes, I am talking about St. Thomas in St. Paul/Minneapolis, just to clear that up. ;-)

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' post='1118502' date='Nov 12 2006, 08:36 PM']
I'm an alum. It's a great school. St. John Vianney Seminary is the BEST college seminary in the United States, bar none.
[/quote]

Im debating between the St. Tommy Catholic studies Masters program with the St. John Seminary, or the Distance program for FUS...

any advice? My undergrad is from a protestant academic bible college with a double major in Pastoral leadership(*might get made a "general ministry" due to politics) and biblical theology.